Summit Drydock Question

Eisernes

We got a call today that our reservation on the Summit was cancelled for a trip to the drydock. We booked another cruise on Summit when it comes back. Anyone know what they are changing? If I'm not mistaken it was just in drydock a year or two ago.

We got a call today that our reservation on the Summit was cancelled for a trip to the drydock. We booked another cruise on Summit when it comes back. Anyone know what they are changing? If I'm not mistaken it was just in drydock a year or two ago.

I noticed your signature that your Summit cruise is in March of 2019. Can you tell me what date? Ours is the 30th and wondering if she'll be in drydock that week. Thanks.

We were also booked on the Summit, ours was for Feb 16th. The email we received from our TA said that all sailings from Feb 16th -March 29th have been cancelled. Only gave a few dates in Dec and then March 30th and a few in April that we could change to. Not good options for us so trying to find a different ship and itinerary. Unfortunately the prices are so much higher then what we booked the Summit for.

Not a real happy cruiser right now as we had booked this one with friends that have never been to the southern caribbean.

Sherri

We were also booked on the Summit, ours was for Feb 16th. The email we received from our TA said that all sailings from Feb 16th -March 29th have been cancelled. Only gave a few dates in Dec and then March 30th and a few in April that we could change to. Not good options for us so trying to find a different ship and itinerary. Unfortunately the prices are so much higher then what we booked the Summit for.

Not a real happy cruiser right now as we had booked this one with friends that have never been to the southern caribbean.

Sherri

We were in the exact same scenario. Had friends coming that were new to X. All of the similar sailings were way more expensive and we were restricted to that week because it is spring break. Ended up booking the Summit in May to Bermuda when it comes back.

We were in the exact same scenario. Had friends coming that were new to X. All of the similar sailings were way more expensive and we were restricted to that week because it is spring break. Ended up booking the Summit in May to Bermuda when it comes back.

Did you have to re-price that change? Or did they allow you to move for the same price you were going to pay for the canceled cruise?

We received our email yesterday saying Millie was going into dry dock. We were due to cruise Jan 5th 2019. Our cruise and the following two have been cancelled. We deal with Celebrity's London office and they were extremely good rebooking us. Very happy with the deal they gave us.

Sue

Did you have to re-price that change? Or did they allow you to move for the same price you were going to pay for the canceled cruise?

We had to pay the difference and they gave us some onboard credit. Since we live in eastern PA it ended up being a little less considering we don't need airfare, hotels, and parking fees now.

We were just moved from the March 9, 2019 Summit but were given several options to move and keep the same price.

We moved to the Dec 15, 2018 itinerary and were given some OBC for the inconvenience

::)

The Dec 15th sailing is $400.00 less per room the what our Feb 16th room was-same category. I wonder if they are refunding the difference? I've left a voicemail with my TA to go over our options.

Sherri

They are supposed to strip out all of the interior of the ship. Them Solsticeze the ship. Everything will be new. At least that is what we were told last week while on the Silhouette.

We had to pay the difference and they gave us some onboard credit. Since we live in eastern PA it ended up being a little less considering we don't need airfare, hotels, and parking fees now.

Thanks for your response. I have to rebook as well but none of the replacement dates don't work for us so I'll need to change to a different itinerary altogether.

I understand the need for the occasional unscheduled dry dock for emergency repairs, but renovations should be scheduled in advance, in my opinion. I would be extremely annoyed if my cruise were canceled due to unscheduled renovations. I feel the same way about charters. They too should be scheduled in advance and not disrupt previously booked cruises. Having vented, I feel better now even though I know nothing will change as a result. I'm sure the cruise lines consider customer anger in making their decisions.

They are supposed to strip out all of the interior of the ship. Them Solsticeze the ship. Everything will be new. At least that is what we were told last week while on the Silhouette.

I thought they were already "Solsticized". I'm hoping they will be "Edging" them.

Anyway, I got the phone call yesterday and was able to get the same room on the Summit, April 13th sailing at the same price along with additional $400 OBC because it's an S1. I couldn't be happier. I had a crazy low price on my original booking since I booked it when they first released 2019 Caribbean sailings and then I was able to take advantage of 2 different sales they had over the last 18 months so I made out really good.

Low booking price, plus lots of OBC, plus renovated ship.....all good!

I understand the need for the occasional unscheduled dry dock for emergency repairs, but renovations should be scheduled in advance, in my opinion. I would be extremely annoyed if my cruise were canceled due to unscheduled renovations. I feel the same way about charters. They too should be scheduled in advance and not disrupt previously booked cruises. Having vented, I feel better now even though I know nothing will change as a result. I'm sure the cruise lines consider customer anger in making their decisions.

Yeah I always thought they scheduled these things years in advance before the cruise schedules are made. When I heard the voicemail I thought it was some kind of scam. I had never heard of this happening for renovations, just repairs and the person that called had a foreign accent which is usually another cue that something isn't right.

Once I called and confirmed that it was not a Nigerian prince trying to steal my vacation we were ok with it. Wish we could have fit one of the replacement dates in our schedule but such is life. Looks like we are going to Bermuda on a brand new Summit.

I tend to agree. They had to have had these plans on the table for quite a while yet they were still letting people book these rooms. I moved a previous booking to this date just a couple months ago. Overall, I understand the need for this but I wish the timing had been better. Winter in the Caribbean is high season for those of us who need a break from the cold. I'm not interested in going there when it's nice here. That's not the only thing that prevents me from going on the offered April dates, but it does play a factor.

I agree strongly with others. Celebrity made this upgrade announcement last October. They obviously had all designs and schedules complete prior to the announcement. Why in the world did they even release 2019 booking dates for M class ships when they knew they would have to turn around and cancel bookings? And since they made that mistake, why did they wait so long to contact those already booked? Extremely poor execution so far! And I hope they fired the flunky who did the interior redesign of the M class ships that they flaunted last October. Tiny closet with frameless glass doors and a few wall-mounted open shelves. Obviously someone who has never cruised for more than 5 days and never on rough seas. Don't they even ask our opinion? Might as well just empty our clothes from our suit cases into a big pile on the floor. Please do something to make us proud again!

• 2 months later...

Just curious as

I just saw this cruise and really liked the itinerary so

was thinking of switching to the Summit instead of another booked cruise. Would you book the last cruise before the dry-dock? I would appreciate your comments. Bob.

We just booked the Jan. 5 and 17 cruises. Am I correct in thinking it goes in dry dock after them?

Found my answer, she doesn't go into dry dock till mid February.

Edited by rfspms

• 4 months later...