Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

We just called RCCL regarding our April 7th 2018 sailing on Harmony of the Seas. I am pregnant and won't be able to take advantage of the beverage package on this sailing but husband wants to purchase. We have now been on the phone with them going in circles - and they are telling my husband we can only do this if we purchase the normal beverage package for me. Even when I'm not pregnant, I don't drink juice, soda, or coffee - so I REALLY don't do this while pregnant.

Extremely surprised this is being forced on us - this doesn't sound like it should be allowed. Any advice? There is NO purpose in me purchasing any beverage package - all I will drink is water.

Email corporate or wait to talk to a manager tomorrow. I wouldn't take no for a answer. What you are requesting is not unreasonable. I'm sure you understand the reason for this rule. But there are always exceptions. Hope you get want you want. Happy Sailing!!!!

Sounds good.. I will try again tomorrow and email corporate.

Too many try to game the system, so they probably have to enforce the requirements for everyone. They may allow you to purchase once onboard. But it’s their ship, their rules, so they aren’t required to make exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to a post I found on a blog site, there's a screenshot of an email between a guest and web_reservations at rccl dot com with the following exceptions (as at Oct 2017):

- Pregnancy

- Recovering alcoholic

- Medical reasons

- Religious reasons

- Does not consume alcohol due to personal preference

It also states that no documentation is needed and no alternative drink package is required to be purchased.

According to a post I found on a blog site, there's a screenshot of an email between a guest and web_reservations at rccl dot com with the following exceptions (as at Oct 2017):

- Pregnancy

- Recovering alcoholic

- Medical reasons

- Religious reasons

- Does not consume alcohol due to personal preference

It also states that no documentation is needed and no alternative drink package is required to be purchased.

They quickly changed that to "NO EXCEPTIONS" since everybody suddenly became pregnant or religious overnight.

Your husband can pay for his drinks as he goes if you are unwilling to pay for a non alcohol package. Sorry those are the rules and if you don’t like it you can always try sailing another cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by yankees111

I feel so sorry for you. I hope to become pregnant and if I do I would not want a soda package either and it would probably cost my husband more to buy individual drinks than the price of two packages. I would ask again for an exception and maybe ask them if they would settle with you buying a case of water...just a thought. Good luck!

Unfortunately this isn't what you want to hear and maybe others could have phrased it better but they have been simply giving you what others have posted on here as their outcome to your exact situation.

When Royal did implement their new policy on everyone buying packages they did allow for some exceptions. That lasted about a week and since then I have not read of any exceptions being granted and there have been many other posts by people that have valid reasons.

There are two options.

Pay as you go for the drinks or purchase a non alcoholic package. There have been reports of allowing the cheaper soda package to be purchased.

No one is dismissing the fact that you can't drink we are simply conveying to you your options based on what Royal has done in the recent past.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

We just called RCCL regarding our April 7th 2018 sailing on Harmony of the Seas. I am pregnant and won't be able to take advantage of the beverage package on this sailing but husband wants to purchase. We have now been on the phone with them going in circles - and they are telling my husband we can only do this if we purchase the normal beverage package for me. Even when I'm not pregnant, I don't drink juice, soda, or coffee - so I REALLY don't do this while pregnant.

Extremely surprised this is being forced on us - this doesn't sound like it should be allowed. Any advice? There is NO purpose in me purchasing any beverage package - all I will drink is water.

Since when does pregnancy = special treatment? They are NOT forcing you to get same pkg as your husband. Haven’t they already accommodated you...

Its the rules, follow them... easy as that!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Email corporate or wait to talk to a manager tomorrow. I wouldn't take no for a answer. What you are requesting is not unreasonable. I'm sure you understand the reason for this rule. But there are always exceptions. Hope you get want you want. Happy Sailing!!!!

The “anger issues” and reality. I have personally watched couples have 1 package and continually get drinks for both. Sorry you catch the fallout.

Be persistent but remain respectful. Recognize that they do not have to accommodate your request. I would strongly recommend communicating in writing in addition to emails and telephone. You may also want to consider contacting your local news stations’ consumer advocate.

As for not liking the tone of some responses, grow some thicker skin. Sometimes the tone comes across as rough due to the brevity of the post, and some people are just blunt. It is a public forum after all. Absent ad hominem attacks, there are no safe spaces here.

Oh, and BlueSkySailing, your implication of violence is childish.

I did not see anyone questioning Lyssa's pregnancy. They were explaining that Royal Caribbean has "heard it all" and has stopped making exceptions.

What they ARE doing is allowing the non-drinker of the pair to buy a non-alcoholic package.

99% of the time that has been the Refreshment Package. There have been a couple of reports of it being the soda package.

But it is RC's right to dictate and enforce its requirements for the purchase of the package.

On Carnival, there is a 15 drink per day limit. RC doesn't have that.

RC has the requirement that all adults in a cabin purchase, or no one gets it.

Are honest people being unfairly punished for the cheaters of the past? Yes. Does that matter, in terms of what RC can and is doing? No.

Lyssa, good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy that baby when s/he arrives.

You will find that as little control as you have over Royal Caribbean's decisions in this matter, you will have way less control over your life with your new family member.

:)