Refurbished ships-higher capacity-life boats?

A few comments.

Liferafts cannot be considered for use by passengers unless the launching arrangement is such that the system can evacuate 500 persons in 30 minutes. The crew have davit launched liferafts so that they can do "dry" evacuations, and get around the SOLAS requirement for having immersion suits for every crew member. However, these systems are not fast enough to qualify for passenger use. Some ships use Marine Evacuation Systems (MES) which are clusters of large rafts and an inflatable chute to get down to the rafts, and these systems do meet the time requirements. Since SOLAS does not place a time constraint on crew evacuation, the slower davit launched rafts are acceptable for them. Remember, when the passengers get into the boats and leave the ship, the only crew that have abandoned the ship are the 2-3 assigned to each lifeboat. All the rest are still at their emergency stations until signaled to abandon ship when they will go to their life raft stations. These liferaft stations are typically placed in between the lifeboat stations, and cannot be efficiently used until the passengers and their boats are away.

Passenger vessels are required to have 125% of all souls onboard in lifesaving appliances; boats, MES, rafts.

USCG safety inspections are limited to ensuring that SOLAS and other international conventions; MLC 2006, MARPOL (even the US ECA emissions regulations are part of MARPOL), ISM, ISPS. The USCG cannot enforce any more stringent regulations on foreign flag ships than those agreed to by international convention. The USCG has more stringent regulations for US flag ships, but can only apply those to US flag ships. SOLAS, and all the international conventions have had "enabling legislation" passed in all signatory nations, as required by the conventions, making these international conventions the law of the land in those nations signatory to them.

If a ship never touches a US port, it is governed by the international conventions, and it is the responsibility of the port states (the country the ship is docked in) to inspect the ship, or not. This is what the USCG does for foreign flag ships, they are merely acting as "Port State Control". Additionally, the ship is inspected by the classification society, as the insurance underwriter, and frequently on behalf of the flag state as well, which provides a "Certificate of Class", without which the ship cannot enter or leave port.

I do agree that what is done when adding cabins is that either there was excess capacity in the boats (they come in fixed sizes) compared to the designed maximum capacity of the ship, or they are planning on restricting the excess (3rd/4th) guests allowed to book. The ship makes more money on guests #1 & 2, than they do on #3 & 4.

Yep

Tried to put in 4 passengers for Family Suite holding 8. No go. It would take 3 passengers on the Mariner for July. Put in four, 2 adults 2 kids, no cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think there is any data to show that boats are safer than rafts. Heck, a guy sailing across the Atlantic had his boat rammed by a whale, and he made several thousand miles solo in his raft.

Thinking that being in a lifeboat is like taking a tender ride is fallacious. The seating capacity of a lifeboat is based on a 75kg person (165 lbs), and the seating area is 17" wide and 24" from front to back (knees to butt). Rafts, you sit with everyone's feet to the center and shoulder to shoulder around the outside. There will be a little more room per person, since you are sitting with legs outstretched, but it is still incredibly crowded. The boats are not watertight, and except for the boats on the Oasis class ships, there is no "facility" for doing your business. Food and water is stored in the seats under you, so they are not easy to get to, and amount to 3 liters of water per person, and a protein bar about the size of your little finger per person per day (about 2500 calories, total ration per person). A life raft is equipped with the same amount of food per person (2500 calories), but only 1.5 liters of water per person. Neither the boat or raft will sink when full of water, though the raft can deflate, but there are two separate air chambers. Lifeboats can hold (cruise ships) between 150 and 370 persons, while rafts can hold between 35-150 persons. Lifeboats are motor propelled (but with only 24 hours of fuel), while rafts are not propelled, but rafts survive seas regardless of facing, while boats do better if facing into the seas.

Anytime you are in a lifeboat or life raft, you are in a very serious situation, and comfort and modesty must go out the window. There won't be a doctor available, communications with other boats and the rest of the world will be minimal, and you will have to form your own "society" onboard the boat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The seating capacity of a lifeboat is based on a 75kg person (165 lbs), and the seating area is 17" wide and 24" from front to back (knees to butt).

Well it looks like I won't even come close to fitting, guess I'll just drown?:loudcry:

This is some great info..details! I do have one suggestion for a change in the regulations: You all know the self-centered, ignorant passengers that do not show up for muster drill? Can the ship begin to require they be the last ones to leave the ship in an emergency?

This is some great info..details! I do have one suggestion for a change in the regulations: You all know the self-centered, ignorant passengers that do not show up for muster drill? Can the ship begin to require they be the last ones to leave the ship in an emergency?

Good Point! I've experienced Muster drills where cruisers have had medical issue arise because of guests who feel these drills don't apply to them!

I think there should be another "naughty room" called the MUSTER Naughty room" where they can be held at least as long as the time they made others wait until finally showing and have them in the last life boat IF any are left! :evilsmile: