Passport?

Not required, just a good idea. We traveled to a lot of ports without one. At one point, the US said everyone had to have a passport. We got them, and US changed the rule. But I am happy to have them. We just renewed all 5 of ours, just for cruising.

While I know it’s a good idea to always have a passport, is a passport required for a cruise leaving from the US sailing to the Bahamas and returning to the US?

Not required if the cruise is starting and ending at the same US port and you can get a certified copy of your US birth certificate.

And if an emergency arises and you have to fly home you need a passport. Hope it never happens, but if you need it, better to have it.

The authorities have the authority to waive the passport requirement in the event of an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, so a lot will depend on the circumstances.

The authorities have the authority to waive the passport requirement in the event of an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, so a lot will depend on the circumstances.

Up until a year and a half ago, I would of said the very same thing. I’m not trying to make any political statements, but today, I’m not so sure any wavers would be given so easily.

Up until a year and a half ago, I would of said the very same thing. I’m not trying to make any political statements, but today, I’m not so sure any wavers would be given so easily.

Yeah, no political statement there

You can think what you want. Maybe I should of added, it’s best to have a passport to prevent any problems.

On this we agree. I've had a passport since 2006. Don't understand why some people are so reluctant to get one.

On this we agree. I've had a passport since 2006. Don't understand why some people are so reluctant to get one.

Because their travel needs are different and they don't need one for the type of travel that they can do. I know that when we first started cruising it would have cost us around $850 to get passports for a 4 day cruise. After examining all of the pros and cons and our risk factors we decided to wait to buy passports for ourselves until we could fly internationally (something that was not going to happen with the kids along). I agree that the passport is the king of the travel documents, but some people can make do with a queen or a jack, especially if those options add nothing to the cost of a trip.

What about if you a certified copy of your birth certificate but your name is not the same due to having been married? (many many many years ago) :halo:

You need a marriage document to bridge the birth certificate and photo ID, right?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways... that whole argument is mute regardless. That only comes into consideration if you actually made it to US soil, something you'll find extremely challenging to do without a passport. Unless your cruise was to Canada... but even if you did somehow CBP cannot deny entry to a US citizen. You'll be detained and questioned for hours, but they'll let you in. Provided you can prove you're a citizen of course.

Airlines will not let you board without a passport.

Besides, an 'emergency' is only one reason you could find yourself stuck. There are many others, like missing the ship. In any case, you'd have to get yourself to an embassy or consulate to get a temp visa. It's not too hard, provided you have proof of citizenship with you (you should have your DL and birth certificate remember) but it takes time, money, and a whole lot of stress. All of which gets avoided by just getting the thing in the first place.

If you can afford a cruise, and the drink packages, and the specialty dining, and the excursions ... you can afford a passport. Many people take the risk of not having one. I've done it myself. And for almost everyone, it works out every time. But almost isn't always...

You need a marriage document to bridge the birth certificate and photo ID, right?

Don't know- I guess so. She was married and then divorced around 50 years ago so I doubt that she still has a marriage license. I'm going to have her get a passport card if she ends up cruising with me. She let her passport expire

Don't know- I guess so. She was married and then divorced around 50 years ago so I doubt that she still has a marriage license. I'm going to have her get a passport card if she ends up cruising with me. She let her passport expire

I thought I read somewhere that an expired passport will serve the same purpose (proving citizenship) as a birth certificate. You would still need the government issued photo ID. However, I'm not 100% sure about that. Better to get a new passport.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways... that whole argument is mute regardless. That only comes into consideration if you actually made it to US soil, something you'll find extremely challenging to do without a passport. Unless your cruise was to Canada... but even if you did somehow CBP cannot deny entry to a US citizen. You'll be detained and questioned for hours, but they'll let you in. Provided you can prove you're a citizen of course.

Airlines will not let you board without a passport.

Besides, an 'emergency' is only one reason you could find yourself stuck. There are many others, like missing the ship. In any case, you'd have to get yourself to an embassy or consulate to get a temp visa. It's not too hard, provided you have proof of citizenship with you (you should have your DL and birth certificate remember) but it takes time, money, and a whole lot of stress. All of which gets avoided by just getting the thing in the first place.

If you can afford a cruise, and the drink packages, and the specialty dining, and the excursions ... you can afford a passport. Many people take the risk of not having one. I've done it myself. And for almost everyone, it works out every time. But almost isn't always...

I read not too long ago (within the past year) of a passenger having to leave the ship for a minor medical emergency at a port in Mexico. The port agent directed him to just go to the airport. At first he was told he couldn't board and it took him 45 minutes to find the correct official who approved it and when they landed in the US they spent 10 minutes in secondary inspection before being allowed to go on their way.

As for the affordability we saw no reason to spend an extra $850, especially since our future travel plans were so up in the air. Frankly, had that $850 been required then we very likely would have scrapped the idea of cruising and done a land vacation instead.

I thought I read somewhere that an expired passport will serve the same purpose (proving citizenship) as a birth certificate. You would still need the government issued photo ID. However, I'm not 100% sure about that. Better to get a new passport.

The expired passport is still proof of citizenship but it's not on any of the lists as a WHTI travel document. It would still be worth bringing since it would facilitate the issuance of a new one should it be required. (And I find it interesting that if a married woman applies for a first time passport she isn't required to submit her marriage certificate with the application.) And in the PP's case a passport card would also do the trick.

While I know it’s a good idea to always have a passport, is a passport required for a cruise leaving from the US sailing to the Bahamas and returning to the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not just get one?

Why not just get one?

My guess is that the poster is going on a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas for a one time trip, and spent only $600.00 for an inside cabin for the two of them. They want to have the beverage package and party all weekend, so the $300 fee for getting a passport might cut into their fun.....That's why. (Plus it's not needed, or necessary, so why bother getting it?)

Good luck with that.

If she lives in Florida and has yet to renew her driver's license under the Real ID requirements in Florida, she will need to obtain all linking documentation of the name change (may be the same in other states for Real ID compliance).

In any case, the same the same requirements are in place for new passports or passport card issuance. The fact her passport is expired puts her in the "new" category.

... The fact her passport is expired puts her in the "new" category.

Depends how long the passport has been expired. If expired less than 5 years, she can renew the passport with just new photos and the old passport.