How do other families of 5 cruise?

Hllb

We are taking our first cruise at Christmas. We booked two cabins - a balcony cabin and an interior cabin directly across from it (Carnival Breeze). I'm curious how others cruise with a larger family. We debated getting connecting rooms, but couldn't actually get ones that we wanted. We could've gotten a small suite, but two separate rooms were less expensive and had more room (with 2 full bathrooms instead of 1.5 baths). Just curious what people prefer and why. We are looking at Alaskan cruises as well, and the one I'm looking at (on Ovation of the seas, RCI), it's quite difficult to get a balcony and an interior across from each other, or two connecting rooms that don't cost a small fortune. So on that one, I was looking at a Jr. Suite, but not sure how that would be for 5.

We have 5 in a Family Ocean View room on the new Norwegian Bliss.

Typically, we just get rooms wherever. We have gotten connecting, and it was nice, but never felt necessary. We've done a balcony with inside directly across. We've also done insides on same deck. Even been in big groups where everyone is scattered. All been fine. You're locked together in the middle of the ocean. Being on different decks isn't a big deal IMO. There are phones in the rooms and on some cruise lines, you can text/call each other on the ship. Sometimes it's through the app. Disney has wireless room phones that work anywhere on the ship.

We have 5 in a Family Ocean View room on the new Norwegian Bliss.

Typically, we just get rooms wherever. We have gotten connecting, and it was nice, but never felt necessary. We've done a balcony with inside directly across. We've also done insides on same deck. Even been in big groups where everyone is scattered. All been fine. You're locked together in the middle of the ocean. Being on different decks isn't a big deal IMO. There are phones in the rooms and on some cruise lines, you can text/call each other on the ship. Sometimes it's through the app. Disney has wireless room phones that work anywhere on the ship.

Thanks! I was looking at the Bliss today. Looks like a great ship. Also looking at RCI Ovation of the Seas. That one has connected interior rooms with the digital window. Those might be interesting rooms.

I don't think a JS on RCI will sleep 5....I think you'll either need a "family" suite, or 2 regular cabins. RCI doesn't make it easy for more than 4 in a cabin...and even THAT'S tight!

Their website claims it does, and mentions a Pullman, yet I can’t find proof that actually exists lol.

Their website claims it does, and mentions a Pullman, yet I can’t find proof that actually exists lol.

Oasis class ships, as example, offer JS's with a sofa bed and third Pullman which combined can sleep 5. For "proof" go to the website and look at the deck plans for any of the ships is this class and decks 6,7,& 8 all have several staterooms configured this way.

Same with a number of Family JS's on Ovation - which is the ship you reference. Look at the deck plans. Not sure what other proof you would need.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We are taking our first cruise at Christmas. We booked two cabins - a balcony cabin and an interior cabin directly across from it (Carnival Breeze). I'm curious how others cruise with a larger family. We debated getting connecting rooms, but couldn't actually get ones that we wanted. We could've gotten a small suite, but two separate rooms were less expensive and had more room (with 2 full bathrooms instead of 1.5 baths). Just curious what people prefer and why. We are looking at Alaskan cruises as well, and the one I'm looking at (on Ovation of the seas, RCI), it's quite difficult to get a balcony and an interior across from each other, or two connecting rooms that don't cost a small fortune. So on that one, I was looking at a Jr. Suite, but not sure how that would be for 5.

Personally I like what you’ve done, Balcony and inside.

Oasis class ships, as example, offer JS's with a sofa bed and third Pullman which combined can sleep 5. For "proof" go to the website and look at the deck plans for any of the ships is this class and decks 6,7,& 8 all have several staterooms configured this way.

Same with a number of Family JS's on Ovation - which is the ship you reference. Look at the deck plans. Not sure what other proof you would need.

It’ll be in AK in 2019.

When I look at the deckplans, I couldn’t find cabins with the Pullman, but the website was being quite difficult and not working well. I also couldn’t find any pictures showing anything that could be a Pullman. But, maybe it’s just an issue with the new deck plans. I didn’t look at the current ones.

It’ll be in AK in 2019.

When I look at the deckplans, I couldn’t find cabins with the Pullman, but the website was being quite difficult and not working well. I also couldn’t find any pictures showing anything that could be a Pullman. But, maybe it’s just an issue with the new deck plans. I didn’t look at the current ones.

Well all of the Family Junior Suites on Ovation on decks 8 & 9 are configured with a sofa bed and third Pullman. There aren't stateroom pictures with the deck plans on the web site but the plans show the staterooms by numbers and symbols indicating the configurations, which are described on the right bottom column next to the deck plans.

The Breeze has 6M category oceanview cabins that sleep 5. They are really nice and offer a 2nd bathroom and junior tub. We have a big family of 8 kids in a 16 year age span. We have done 2 inside quads plus an inside or balcony for parents. We usually get cabins right near one another, but have also booked both spad quad interiors on the dream class ships along with a cabin for my hubby and I. In that case only 2 quads exist and are in opposite corridors so we did a girl cabin and boys cabin, with the girls being in the further corridor. The oldest 2 and middle 2 are girls so that worked well. The youngest 2 are boys so we kept the boys close. One thing we have never done is connecting cabins. Never really felt the need.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Family of 7, always do connecting balconies. My kids are good, but tend to forget about the curfew once they become teenagers. Had to remove a 14 year old from a late night game of monopoly last time around 1:45.

I wish that were in the budget!

The Breeze has 6M category oceanview cabins that sleep 5. They are really nice and offer a 2nd bathroom and junior tub. We have a big family of 8 kids in a 16 year age span. We have done 2 inside quads plus an inside or balcony for parents. We usually get cabins right near one another, but have also booked both spad quad interiors on the dream class ships along with a cabin for my hubby and I. In that case only 2 quads exist and are in opposite corridors so we did a girl cabin and boys cabin, with the girls being in the further corridor. The oldest 2 and middle 2 are girls so that worked well. The youngest 2 are boys so we kept the boys close. One thing we have never done is connecting cabins. Never really felt the need.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

We originally had one of those booked but I got a better deal to do 2 rooms and more OBC. I did debate that though!

Well all of the Family Junior Suites on Ovation on decks 8 & 9 are configured with a sofa bed and third Pullman. There aren't stateroom pictures with the deck plans on the web site but the plans show the staterooms by numbers and symbols indicating the configurations, which are described on the right bottom column next to the deck plans.

Spoke to RCI today and there are no cabins that sleep 5 on Ovation.

Spoke to RCI today and there are no cabins that sleep 5 on Ovation.

I would call again, or perhaps try a travel agent - RCI reps are notorious for misinformation. Or maybe just none available? Interesting as the deck plans specifically indicate the information I provided to you for Ovation. See this link - FJS 9210-24, 9610-24 all show a triangle symbol for a sofa bed along with an * for a 3rd Pullman. Similarly on deck 8.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/ovation-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1737/09

Not that his helps with your situation but there are several other RCI ship classes that offer a Family stateroom that holds 6 - we've used them for our family of 5 on two separate occasions.

Good luck - hope you get it worked out.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The other possibility about a RCL rep claiming there are no cabins for 5 might be a capacity problem as they can only have so many people on a sailing and at that point they limit how many can book, even may have empty cabins if there are many cabins with a large number of occupants. You might try the same ship on different weeks to find out if there are other options.

Thanks guys. I booked on NCL in a family ocean view. I’ll likely try with RCI again, maybe through a TA to see if those rooms become available. Because they’re changing their deck plans, I wonder if it’s just a computer issue. The NCL cruise had a great deal this weekend and is cheaper than the RCI one will be even if I can book the JR suite for 5. It also included free drinks package and shore excursion credit at each port.

Thanks guys. I booked on NCL in a family ocean view. I’ll likely try with RCI again, maybe through a TA to see if those rooms become available. Because they’re changing their deck plans, I wonder if it’s just a computer issue. The NCL cruise had a great deal this weekend and is cheaper than the RCI one will be even if I can book the JR suite for 5. It also included free drinks package and shore excursion credit at each port.

BTW, typically when deck plans are changed it doesn't change the configuration, only the general category sub-class for mix and pricing changes. But it is frustrating to not be able to get a clear answer at times.

Enjoy your cruise!

BTW, typically when deck plans are changed it doesn't change the configuration, only the general category sub-class for mix and pricing changes. But it is frustrating to not be able to get a clear answer at times.

Enjoy your cruise!

OK, I called Costco and was able to book cabin 9622 for my family of 5. Woot! However, LOL.....when I see some videos of nearby cabins that are supposedly the same class and are supposed to have the pullman for the 5th person....well, I don't see it anywhere. Now, I don't really care, because if they let me have all 5 of us in that cabin, we can make due without the pullman. It's just so weird!

There are two videos posted on this site (that also shows that these are supposed to have the pullman, according to the deck plan, and it's supposed to be above the sofa bed): https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/decks-V2.php?ship=Ovation-of-the-Seas

OK, I called Costco and was able to book cabin 9622 for my family of 5. Woot! However, LOL.....when I see some videos of nearby cabins that are supposedly the same class and are supposed to have the pullman for the 5th person....well, I don't see it anywhere. Now, I don't really care, because if they let me have all 5 of us in that cabin, we can make due without the pullman. It's just so weird!

There are two videos posted on this site (that also shows that these are supposed to have the pullman, according to the deck plan, and it's supposed to be above the sofa bed): https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/decks-V2.php?ship=Ovation-of-the-Seas

The Pullman’s are usually in the ceiling or wall above the sofa.

The Pullman’s are usually in the ceiling or wall above the sofa.

Yes, and it doesn't look like they exist in the videos, even though those rooms are supposed to have them. The floor plan of the room shows them on the wall above the couch.

We’re six (5A 1C 4yo) in a Ultra Spacious Ocean View, apparently it’ll be tight, by EU/US standards, but you’ve probably never seen how some people live in Hong Kong 🤣 If you’re all one family I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, and it doesn't look like they exist in the videos, even though those rooms are supposed to have them. The floor plan of the room shows them on the wall above the couch.

The cruise line would not let you book a stateroom for your total family numbers unless there were enough beds in the stateroom to accommodate each one. If there is supposed to be a Pullman in the stateroom to accommodate you it will be there. They fold up into the wall and are not readily visible unless they are down to be used.