Seattle Pike Place market

Cruisesfun65

We will be in Seattle for only 1 day prior to our cruise and trying to make the most of this one day.

I've looked for information on the Pike Place market but wanted to ask her for your personal experience. What's so special about this market? Is it like any other market selling produce, etc?

Is it an absolute Must-Do?

You might consider one of the food tours in the area. We went on a standard food tour around the market and like it so much we booked the chocolate tour the next day. I believe the company is Savor Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Savor Seattle at Pikes and loved it. Lots of free samples and early before the market is all the way open. Also during the summer the fruit is amazing. Especially the peaches!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, we went by there, but it's really not much more than a market. It's vibrant and active, and it's iconic, but not sure if I'd spend my entire day there. I'd rather spend some of my time up by the Space Needle area, the Chihuly museum is amazing! We didn't go up in the Space Needle, felt it wasn't worth it (we did a different tower down in the city with amazing views and much cheaper), but the Chihuly was great!

Yeah, we went by there, but it's really not much more than a market. It's vibrant and active, and it's iconic, but not sure if I'd spend my entire day there. I'd rather spend some of my time up by the Space Needle area, the Chihuly museum is amazing! We didn't go up in the Space Needle, felt it wasn't worth it (we did a different tower down in the city with amazing views and much cheaper), but the Chihuly was great!

The Columbia Tower is better for a view of the city than the Space Needle.

The Market (btw...only tourists call it Pike Place Market ;) ) is essentially just a market. You can watch some fish being thrown and then move on but there are a lot of great places to eat in that area.

I found it interesting to wander around the market. We got there about two hours before it closed, so just enough time to see the different shops. Bought a coffee roll at a bakery. Had dinner at a nearby restaurant. This was the day we flew in to Seattle. The next morning, thanks to the time zone difference from the east coast, we were up early, so had breakfast and hit the Needle. No lines :)

Yeah, we went by there, but it's really not much more than a market. It's vibrant and active, and it's iconic, but not sure if I'd spend my entire day there. I'd rather spend some of my time up by the Space Needle area, the Chihuly museum is amazing!

Agreed. The Market is (in my opinion) crowded, squishy, dark, and over-priced, and stinkin' hot in summer. The Starbucks mentioned usually has a line up out the door and down the block. IF you missed it on your trip to Seattle, it wouldn't be a terrible thing ;p . I would much rather spend my time at Chihuly Garden and Glass.

https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

The Pike Place market is the sort of place that used to be uncommon in the US, but nowadays there are so many farmers markets all over the world that it's probably less out-of-the-ordinary than it once was. It's still the oldest continuously functioning farmers' market in the country.

Its location sets it apart; sitting on the bluff overlooking the Elliott Bay waterfront, it has the best views of any major market in the country (or most countries that I can think of.) In terms of the produce and food products you can buy there, the quality (and prices) tend to be high but not extraordinary. There's a lot of theater - fish flinging for example, and lots of stalls selling "local" items (many aren't but people don't ask.)

For cruise visitors, my suggestion is to go to the market as early in the day as possible. Go for breakfast at one of the old-time cafes in the main arcade, such as Lowell's or the Athenian. Get there by 7:30 or 8, and after breakfast walk around the market as the merchants set up for the day, but be gone by 10, after which the crowds will become overwhelming. If you're here in July - September, maybe buy some flowers from the "low stalls" for your cabin on the boat - the selection and prices are very good.

The "original" Starbucks isn't, the original one was close by but torn down years ago. The coffee is exactly the same stuff you'll get at any one of hundreds of Starbucks stores/stands/cafes all over town, all over the world.

It's worth your while - if you're a big fan of funky retail, to go down one level in the main building (west side of Pike Place) where there are still some old-time shops and stalls.

The market is entirely different in the winter; local people actually shop there. Nobody I know goes near the place during the cruise season unless they have out of town company, and even then I take people to Uwajimaya (remarkable local Asian supermarket/department store) instead. Better produce, better fish, better prices, and validated parking.

My opinion pretty much covers the same territory as the two immediately above; if you're going to go, go EARLY! It's not just the market proper with stalls - there are multiple levels and actual shops on site too, selling all kinds of niche stuff like memorabilia, games, second-hand books and so on. I find the parts other than the actual market-stalls are the only parts we've ever felt the need to return to, as there are some genuinely good stores if you're into a collecting type of hobby. Once you've seen one fish flung, you've seen 'em all IMO;-)

We've also spent a while in the Pike Brewery while family or friends visiting for the first time 'did the market.' Wide range of beers, most pretty decent, and quite a funky space.

The Starbucks across the street is indeed not the original,but they DO actually sell a different product to an extent. Same beans, therefore the coffee will always suck compared to the many better places, but it's the only Starbucks where the baristas actually still work by hand rather than with automated espresso machines so the regular espresso-based beverages are less consistent but should in theory be better if they're doing their job right. So if you're actually a fan of fourbucks, be aware that your regular order may actually taste different - hopefully better;-)

I love visiting the Market. I love the views and people watching. It’s an experience.

I also like walking into a Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge Island and exploring the small ships on the island. You get spectacular views on your way back to Seattle. Both are an experience!

Thanks! Couldn't remember the name of it! LOL! And as I said it cost loss, plus your ticket allows you two admissions in the same day. So we went in the late afternoon, and then right at sunset!

28624046456_087af58c9d.jpg

Seattle at night by Cindy, on Flickr

28372052690_3652b41270.jpg

Untitled by Cindy, on Flickr

And the Chihuly is so cool!!

28039456394_a8d1806b9f.jpg

Untitled by Cindy, on Flickr

The Market (btw...only tourists call it Pike Place Market ;) ) is essentially just a market. You can watch some fish being thrown and then move on but there are a lot of great places to eat in that area.

I agree about the Skyview Observatory in the Columbia Center - you actually look DOWN at the Space Needle! Much cheaper to visit and your admission will allow you in and out of the center as much as you want.

Pike Place is just a huge, iconic market. Lots of flower and seafood vendors and some decent restaurants. The Gum Wall in the alley behind the market is sorta kinda interesting in a gross way. The "original" Starbucks is there but there is usually a line to get in. Its worth a trip - you don't have to spend all day there but just to see what its all about.

If you are interested in motivation and leadership - the Pike Place market was made famous around the world in leadership forums because of the book

https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Remarkable-Morale-Improve-Results/dp/0340819804.

Try to borrow a copy of the book before you go and you will understand the fish throwing. :)

We were able to see the fish throwing at the markets, the space needle and the chihuly glass in one day.

Edited by lucymorgan

This article has some detail and tips about the Starbucks at the Market: http://www.starbucksmelody.com/2017/11/04/look-1912-pike-place-first-starbucks/ (it also mentions a Starbucks you can visit on the 40th floor of the Columbia Center without paying for the Skyview Observatory, if you're there on a weekday). If you're looking to bring home a bag of the "Pike Place Special Reserve" beans (NOT the same as "Pike Place Blend" at your local store), you also can get it with far less craziness at the store at 1st and Pike.

My visits to the Market mainly are focused on the craft items in the temporary stalls on the north end ... possibly some tea from MarketSpice ... and often some mac & cheese from Beecher's.

We will be in Seattle for only 1 day prior to our cruise and trying to make the most of this one day.

I've looked for information on the Pike Place market but wanted to ask her for your personal experience. What's so special about this market? Is it like any other market selling produce, etc?

Is it an absolute Must-Do?

If you can, take the ducks. The tour starts near the Space Needle. Best money I ever spent in Seattle. Do this as early as possible when you get there. It gives you a great idea of where everything is and ideas on what to do next.

There's a decent burger shack next to the Ballard Locks. It's a fun place to sit and watch the boats come and go from Union Lake.

If you can, take the ducks. The tour starts near the Space Needle. Best money I ever spent in Seattle. Do this as early as possible when you get there. It gives you a great idea of where everything is and ideas on what to do next.

There's a decent burger shack next to the Ballard Locks. It's a fun place to sit and watch the boats come and go from Union Lake.

The Ducks are good if you have never been to Seattle. It is more expensive than it should be but it is probably the best way to get a tour of the area for first timers but we did it several years ago (as locals) and all three of my kids fell asleep.

I am glad you brought up the locks. If you have kids (or are a kid at heart) the glass wall fish ladder in August-October is pretty amazing.

Off the top of my head some other things to see...

An Argosy cruise is pretty cool as well...similar to the Duck tour but all waterside.

If you have a car then a trip to West Seattle is worth it just for the view...as is a trip to Snoqualmie Falls.

Also if you have a car a drive up to mount rainier is worth it as well.

The Underground tour is good for an initial visit to Seattle if you are interested in the city's history.

Safeco Field and Centurylink Field have tours if anyone is a sports fan. I enjoyed the Centurylink field tour but I am a Seahawks Fan...I have been told the Safeco field tour is a little more interesting (I haven't done it but I was lucky enough to play at Safeco field once for a big event and got the insider treatment and agree it seems more interesting).

The Boeing factory tour in Everett very impressive.

The Seattle Eye (or whatever it is called) is much smaller than London but the area is beautiful and worth the time spent.

University of Washington has tours if you have any kids interested in going to one of the best universities in the country (and where my daughter is a freshman).

Woodinville has over 200 wineries for anyone who likes to taste wine.

Amazon has these new botanical pod work spaces in south lake union that are open to the public (with reservations). This is all the rage in Seattle so definitely make a reservation.

There are a bunch of waterfront parks...what really makes Seattle the most beautiful place on earth during the summer is the water, greenery, and mountains. You can't go wrong just walking along a park like Myrtle Edwards.

Seattle proper has over 60 Breweries and the region has more than 100. There are van tours you can take (I have done it...you will drink your fill in beer and have a good time).

Seattle also has some of the best restaurants in the world...There are many events during the year but Taste Washington (March 22-25) is the flagship.

Marijuana is legal in Washington...if you are interested you will have no problem finding a recreational shop. I think there are even tours. Even if you are not interested in partaking visiting a shop is pretty interesting.

There is more but this is all off the top of my head :)