How full is my cruise?

Sunchaser46

Cruise lines have a real incentive to not let it be known how cruises are selling because public awareness of slow sales would impact bookings. The fact is, aside from some repositionings, virtually all cruises from US ports sail full - the lines are also good at not letting "perishable" goods go unsold.

Cruise lines have a real incentive to not let it be known how cruises are selling because public awareness of slow sales would impact bookings. The fact is, aside from some repositionings, virtually all cruises from US ports sail full - the lines are also good at not letting "perishable" goods go unsold.

How do you know that most sail full? I'm often surprised at how many ships I see when I sign into Hal's website that show availability in every catagory the day before sailing.

• Like 1

Do a mock booking on an online cruise site and see the cabin availability. Looks like suites are all guarantee only but quite a few balcony cabins available.

That may give a rough idea. I was interested in a balcony upsell on a cruise last spring. About 2 weeks before I counted about 60 balconies open. They all disappeared close to sailing and I didn't see an upsell. You never know how many guarantees are booked.

That may give a rough idea. I was interested in a balcony upsell on a cruise last spring. About 2 weeks before I counted about 60 balconies open. They all disappeared close to sailing and I didn't see an upsell. You never know how many guarantees are booked.
I think you nailed it. The guarantee bookings are an unknown variable and make it nearly impossible to predict.

I guess my question to the OP is, what does it matter? Will you convince yourself you will have a better or worse time if it is (not) at capacity? Will you do anything differently? I'm not being rude, I really want to know what the advantage of knowing this information is. In my opinion, some things are best to remain unknown.

How do you know that most sail full? I'm often surprised at how many ships I see when I sign into Hal's website that show availability in every catagory the day before sailing.

On every non-repositioning cruise I have sailed since 2003, passengers have been advised that no cabin changes can be made because the ship was sold out. I have seen a number of posts on these threads making the same reference.

HAL, and presumably other lines, do not assign particular cabins to guarantees until the very last minute to keep as many as possible available for identified sales. This results in there being "availability" in multiple categories shown - even though there might be just one or two cabins not actually sold.

On every non-repositioning cruise I have sailed since 2003, passengers have been advised that no cabin changes can be made because the ship was sold out. I have seen a number of posts on these threads making the same reference.

HAL, and presumably other lines, do not assign particular cabins to guarantees until the very last minute to keep as many as possible available for identified sales. This results in there being "availability" in multiple categories shown - even though there might be just one or two cabins not actually sold.

Only hal knows how full or not full cruises are. I see it mentioned fairly often on here that every cruise goes full. I think that is wishful thinking only. Perhaps hal says there are no cabins available because passangers may think they can get a free upgrade. As far as assigning cabins goes I have been assigned 30 days out on hal. On princess I've been assigned months out so I can't agree with what you've said on guarantees. It's been rare that I have been assigned at the last minute.

Only hal knows how full or not full cruises are. I see it mentioned fairly often on here that every cruise goes full. I think that is wishful thinking only. Perhaps hal says there are no cabins available because passangers may think they can get a free upgrade. As far as assigning cabins goes I have been assigned 30 days out on hal. On princess I've been assigned months out so I can't agree with what you've said on guarantees. It's been rare that I have been assigned at the last minute.

The fact that Princess does it different only confirms one thing...Princess is a different cruise line. How Princess assigns has absolutely NOTHING to do with how HAL assigns GTY bookings. There are literally hundreds of threads here saying HAL assigns under 30 days, and we have 3 experiences (28, 26 and 8 days) added to that confirmation list. What navybankerteacher said has much supportive evidence behind it.

The fact that Princess does it different only confirms one thing...Princess is a different cruise line. How Princess assigns has absolutely NOTHING to do with how HAL assigns GTY bookings. There are literally hundreds of threads here saying HAL assigns under 30 days, and we have 3 experiences (28, 26 and 8 days) added to that confirmation list. What navybankerteacher said has much supportive evidence behind it.

You may want to look up thread. Navybanker said hal and presumably other lines assign guarantees at the last minute. I think most people with minimal intelligence know that princess and hal are two different cruise lines:o. In my experience assigning at the last minute has not been true. Last minute for me is a day or so before, not 28, 26, 10 or 8 days before. I see nothing in his post (or yours) that convinces me that most ships sail full. I think that is wishful thinking on Hal's behalf instead of reality.

We were on the Rotterdam last month with an OV GTY and got our cabin assignment 10 days prior to sailing with no upgrade in cabin type. The ship seemed fairly full, but I am not sure it was completely sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes a mock booking can give you an idea of how many cabins are sold, but it will not tell you if those cabins are sold at capacity. And that's the bigger issue for me - two people in each cabin makes for a full, but not crowded ship; three or four people in the cabins that are designed for that many passengers makes for a full AND crowded ship. But I do not know of any way you can check the passenger capacity before you board.

I think you nailed it. The guarantee bookings are an unknown variable and make it nearly impossible to predict.

I guess my question to the OP is, what does it matter? Will you convince yourself you will have a better or worse time if it is (not) at capacity? Will you do anything differently? I'm not being rude, I really want to know what the advantage of knowing this information is. In my opinion, some things are best to remain unknown.

I agree sailed December on the Veendam and found out it was only 80% of capacity I guess that is why no long lines but it felt full anyway. Meet great people and all venues seemed to be not crowded. 14 days of great sailing really enjoyed:)

(bold is mine) I'm sure Cunard does this. I think the little "As this voyage is fully booked, cabin changes are not possible" sign has been discretely set out at the front desk on every cruise I've taken in recent years, both Cunard and HAL. Think how long the lines would be if people thought they could upgrade on board. Checking in for our last cruise, we did hear a couple at the desk next to us ask if upgrades were available. They were told no, the ship is sailing full.

You may want to look up thread. Navybanker said hal and presumably other lines assign guarantees at the last minute. I think most people with minimal intelligence know that princess and hal are two different cruise lines:o. In my experience assigning at the last minute has not been true. Last minute for me is a day or so before, not 28, 26, 10 or 8 days before. I see nothing in his post (or yours) that convinces me that most ships sail full. I think that is wishful thinking on Hal's behalf instead of reality.

Admittedly I had booked just two weeks before sailing in both cases when I had guarantees on HAL - both times I did not get cabin assignment until the day I boarded, and I have noted many posts on these threads concerning very late assignments.

(bold is mine) I'm sure Cunard does this. I think the little "As this voyage is fully booked, cabin changes are not possible" sign has been discretely set out at the front desk on every cruise I've taken in recent years, both Cunard and HAL. Think how long the lines would be if people thought they could upgrade on board.
Just thinking out-loud a bit, if there were possible upgrades available and a cruise line leaves them empty as opposed to letting people (for cash/money) upgrade, wouldn't that be leaving revenue on the table? I'd guess if there really were some upgrades possible, they'd be more than willing to let someone get an upgrade (for the right price of course.)

Just thinking out-loud a bit, if there were possible upgrades available and a cruise line leaves them empty as opposed to letting people (for cash/money) upgrade, wouldn't that be leaving revenue on the table? I'd guess if there really were some upgrades possible, they'd be more than willing to let someone get an upgrade (for the right price of course.)

The shoreside check-in people are not authorized to change bookings, and I don't know how much negotiation the front desk can do.

At some point, I think it becomes not worth the money to haggle over upsells or have a bunch of people trying to get free upgrades or move to a cabin in a different place, etc.

That is odd as I would be much more interested in booking a cruise on a ship that was less crowded. Why would I be drawn to a crowded booking?

One could probably find out how full the ship is for a given date if booking with a HAL/PCC agent. Just ask them.

igraf

While letting a small number of cabins go empty is "leaving revenue on the table", it may be that the lines have found that convincing the bulk of their market that there is very little chance of getting fantastic last minute bargains is a better business plan. They certainly prefer to lock in bookings at acceptable pricing to having a large number of cabins subject to last minute selling.

That is odd as I would be much more interested in booking a cruise on a ship that was less crowded. Why would I be drawn to a crowded booking?

One could probably find out how full the ship is for a given date if booking with a HAL/PCC agent. Just ask them.

igraf

It's the "only one left!" psychology. If you've been thinking about a cruise and it seems there aren't many cabins available, it might spur you on to make that booking before it sells out.

While how full a cruise is doesn't affect our purchase .. what "charter groups" are on board does. We were surprised once when a large charter absorbed some of the boat's venues for the duration of the cruise and thus had a mildly negative impact on our experience.

So now I ask the question of Holland directly (sometimes I get an answer) and do a web search for the cruise and "charter" to see who might be putting together a group.

In the end, a day at sea beats the pants off a day shoveling behind our horses ... enjoy the day.

CB

While how full a cruise is doesn't affect our purchase .. what "charter groups" are on board does. We were surprised once when a large charter absorbed some of the boat's venues for the duration of the cruise and thus had a mildly negative impact on our experience.

So now I ask the question of Holland directly (sometimes I get an answer) and do a web search for the cruise and "charter" to see who might be putting together a group.

In the end, a day at sea beats the pants off a day shoveling behind our horses ... enjoy the day.

CB

If you were on the ship, unless you were a member of that group, it wasn't a charter. A charter takes the entire ship, and you won't have been able to book it. You were simply on with a large group.

Try looking on cruise + what Nemo is. net That site indicates % full for each sailing. I don't know how accurate it is, but from my experience it is a good indicator.

Run that by me again. All one word or include spaces?