Rainy Week in Cozumel

crewsweeper

For everyone leaving on cruises this next week (Jan 21-27) and stopping in Cozumel, just be aware there's an 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms all week long. Projected daily rainfall is less than a 1/2 inch, but don't expect the usual brief showers then sun.

We left there yesterday after 10 days on the island. Don't let the rain chances worry you. Shouldn't be a wash out. The issues we ran into was lack of sun and a lot of wind. Those combined made it really cool being outside. The high winds closed the harbor so no catamarans or other boats allowed on the water.

January is worst time to cruise in the Western Caribbean due to "Norte" winds. They can come up and blow for several days, then go away. No way to predict. Usually Norte winds cancel everything as the water is so rough they close the marinas to all boat activities (happens in Cozumel several times in Dec-Jan). As I said though, it can pass after a day or two...but can really ruin a vacation, too.

What about Feb?

January is worst time to cruise in the Western Caribbean due to "Norte" winds. They can come up and blow for several days, then go away. No way to predict. Usually Norte winds cancel everything as the water is so rough they close the marinas to all boat activities (happens in Cozumel several times in Dec-Jan). As I said though, it can pass after a day or two...but can really ruin a vacation, too.

You can monitor the WX conditions using a mobile app such as Weather Underground's Storm.

Conditions on Coz from mid-December into March can be a little unpredictable because of El Norte - the north wind which can bring cooler temps, strong gusts, and stormy sea conditions that limit marine activity. The roughest sea state I've ever encountered in a dive boat was in February and right at entrance to Caleta/Fonatur - it was so rough that day we did one dive at Paradise reef and then returned to the marina. The water temps are still at 80° so if the weather is nice, you'll have warm water - though it doesn't take much of a breeze to make you feel cold when you exit the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums