Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:20 AM.
Tampa, Florida area
12,458 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
If that becomes standard practice, IMO that's the same as stealing at least part of the monetary value of the unused punches. We paid for the card and if we don't get to use all of the punches on the cruise during which it was purchased or within the dated life of the card, that to me is thievery. In that instance, I will no longer buy coffee cards, but will fall back on the coffee from the Horizon Court.

I can understand that a card from a previous cruise not being usable to get "free" brewed coffee on later cruises, but the remaining punches should be able to be used for brewed coffee or specialty coffees until all the punches are used up, no matter how long it takes. That way we would at least get the full value of what we paid for the card.

Come on, Princess That's just a money grubbing tactic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Flamomo

Completed cruises: (377 days on Princess ... so far!)
2004 Coral Princess (Panama Canal & W. Caribbean)
2005 Sun Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2006 Island Princess (Hawai'i)
2007 Sea Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2007 Golden Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2008 Diamond Princess (Hawai'i)
2008 Tahitian Princess (Tahiti & FP)
2009 Star Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2010 Golden Princess (Hawai'i)
2011 Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2011 Sapphire Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2011 Sapphire Princess (28 day r/t LA-HI-Samoa-French Polynesia-LA)
2011 Saphire Princess (Mexican Riviera), done as B2B with the 28 day above
2012 Star Princess (r/t SF-Hawaii)
2012 Ruby Princess (19 day T/A Venice to FLL)
2013 Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2013 Pacific Princess (12 day Venice to Athens)
2013 Crown Princess (26 day B2B Southampton to the Canaries, and T/A)
2014 Crown Princess Andes & So America (16 days Valpariso to LA)
2014 Carnival Paradise - First ever non-Princess cruise - just a quickie with family!
2014 Caribbean Princess (9 day B2B with friends)
2015 Ruby Princess So America (32 days FLL to Valpariso)
2015 Emerald Princess (T/A Barcelona to FLL)
2016 Caribbean Princess (30 day EB T/A including British Isles itinerary)
2016 Pacific Princess (17 day T/A Rome to FLL)

2017 Pacific Princess (23 days Dover to Venice)

NEXT UP!!

October 23, 2018 Crown Princess 25 day TA Barcelona to FLL
USA
9,457 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by LizSydney
Yeah if you've paid for 15 coffees on a card, you've paid for 15 coffees and shouldn't be forced to use them on one cruise. That's just unfair.
Very much agree
1,934 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by moki'smommy
The current expiration date on the new cards is 6/30/2018, so your card will be fine on your B2B.

It’s not 6/30/18 on all cruises. As I mentioned when starting this thread.... we sailed on the January 9, 2018 cruise on the Royal and coffee card has an expiration date of 12/31/18.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
8,025 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by pms4104
I suspect the coffee card change mag be the result of cost vs. revenue.

My guess is that Princess has both cost and revenue goals on each voyage on each ship. By honoring coffee cards with no expiry any ship has the coffee cost, be it brewed or specialty, on its P&L, with no corresponding revenue.

If Princess plans to continue a coffee program, they ought to sell a single-voyage package that they can load onto one's cruise card or one's OM.

All this angst just seems petty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app
By your logic they should be charging for coffee in the Horizon.

Originally posted by Cindy
That’s a more reasonable solution than not allowing a person to use what is essentially a gift card balance.

I would love to see them do something like Royal Caribbean‘s refreshment package instead of the tired old soda package. The refreshment package includes fresh squeezed juice, bottled water, and specialty coffee in addition to soda and mocktails. It can be loaded onto a cruise card, and is good only for that journey. It would definitely take care of the indefinite use of coffee cards, as well as the selling of cards on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Yes but their drink package allows as much as you want on that cruise unlike the Princess coffee card that has a limit or 15 punches.
If they sold the coffee card as unlimited for all their coffee on that cruise, your logic makes sense.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
1,934 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by floridalover5623
I'm wondering what they'll do when presented with an old coffee card - with or without a voyage & ship written on the back?

Possibly write an expiration date on it to limit it's future use?

That really seems unfair since they were sold under the pretense of being able to be used anytime on subsequent voyages.

In the past when we used a card without a voyage number or ship name on it, the current voyage number and ship was added when using it the first time

794 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by rljan
I would argue that a coffee card is a gift card. Princess is headquartered in California. Ironically, California law prohibits putting an expiration date on gift cards ( Civil Code section 1749.5). I won’t be buying another coffee card, so it won’t matter to me. I suspect our cruise next week will be our last on Princess.
Musings @ 5:30 am with my first cup of coffee.

All over a coffee card.....LOL.....Well counselor, Princess cruise ships do not fall under California law.

Cruise lines have been circumventing U.S. statutes and regulations since as early as the 1920s. It all depends on their registry. By opting to re-flag in a new nation, a vessel owner becomes subject to the safety, labor and environmental codes of that nation. Thus, those nations whose open registries have become the most popular also tend to be those who possess the most lax labor, safety and environmental codes. Plus this is compounded by overlapping with obscure maritime laws on the high seas.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
8,025 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by whatcruiseisnext
In the past when we used a card without a voyage number or ship name on it, the current voyage number and ship was added when using it the first time

I suppose now they'll be adding the ship/voyage and trying to add an expiration date on the back.
At that point I'll be extremely annoyed if they try adding an expiration date to my card which was obtained with the premise that it was good on subsequent Princess cruise ships in the future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Houston, TX USA
14,945 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
By your logic they should be charging for coffee in the Horizon.

Yes but their drink package allows as much as you want on that cruise unlike the Princess coffee card that has a limit or 15 punches.

If they sold the coffee card as unlimited for all their coffee on that cruise, your logic makes sense.

What I am saying is I would like to see them create another package. Similar to the alcohol package, a person could get unlimited amounts of the non-alcoholic beverages including coffee and water. That way no one would have to deal with punches, and Princess wouldn’t have to worry that the cards are going to find their way to eBay because there wouldn’t be any.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

Waiting Impatiently For:
Royal Princess British Isles 6/30/18

213 Great Cruise Days & Counting:
Regal Princess Canada & New England 10/7/2017 * HAL Westerdam Adriatic Dream 4/27/2017 * Liberty of the Seas 11/27/2016 * Liberty of the Seas 10/23/2016 * Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean 3/14/16 * Caribbean Princess 12/6/2015 * Serenade of the Seas 3/7/2015 * Oasis of the Seas 11/15/2014 * Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia 5/21/2014 * Navigator of the Seas 4/6/2014 * HAL Westerdam Alaska 9/14/2013 -- Millie Wine Cruise Refugees Cruised to Alaska! * Mariner of the Seas 4/14/2013 * HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean & 25th Anniversary 11/26/2012 * Mariner of the Seas 3/11/2012 * Carnival Dream 6/25/2011 * Carnival Conquest 3/13/2011 * Carnival Ecstasy 12/20/2010 * Carnival Conquest 3/14/2010 * Carnival Splendor 7/12/2009 * Voyager of the Seas 3/15/09 * Voyager of the Seas 3/16/2008 * Mariner of the Seas 6/24/2007 * Grand Princess 3/10/2007 * Explorer of the Seas 6/25/2006 * Grand Princess 3/11/2006 * Grand Princess 3/5/2005 * Rhapsody of the Seas 11/24/2002 * Sea Princess Alaska 6/17/2000 * Scotia Prince 6/1999 -- Test to see if we would get seasick...Obviously we didn't!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
8,025 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Cindy
What I am saying is I would like to see them create another package. Similar to the alcohol package, a person could get unlimited amounts of the non-alcoholic beverages including coffee and water. That way no one would have to deal with punches, and Princess wouldn’t have to worry that the cards are going to find their way to eBay because there wouldn’t be any.

So would using the OM when it's in full effect. No cards to punch so nothing to be sold on eBay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
3,694 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
We always buy 2 coffee cards knowing they will be good for specialty coffees on future cruises becasue some cruises we use the entire card,and other shorter cruises some have punches left over. If this new practice is instituted, we will no longer buy the cards and just pay as we go.
Florida
1,999 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
and for this unlimited non-alcoholic beverage package -be uses on a single cruise only, and must be purchased for all days of the cruise...

How much would you be willing to pay per day?

And remember, NO SHARING !!!
Ontario
4 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by whatcruiseisnext
We just disembarked the Royal Princess today. Our coffee cards had an expiration date of December 2018 on them. We were told that our cruise was the first for the Royal that had the cards with expiration dates BUT they were also using up the old cards without expiration dates!!! So some had cards with expiration dates and others had cards without them. There were many complaints onboard. We were at the pursers desk when the person in front of us questioned the new practice. The person behind the desk actually called the corporate office back in California while we were standing in line and when she got off the phone she said that it is being implemented fleet wide and that cards would not be honored AFTER the expiration date. Old cards without the expiration dates will be honored for a time.....whatever that means.

Seems pretty petty to me to institute this change.

We usually carry ours over for 2 or 3 cruises. It shouldn’t be a huge problem for us because we cruise 4-5 times a year but for those who are unable to cruise as often it really doesn’t seem fair. I’d be curious to know if Disney Cruises has the same policy? We have tickets left over from our 1st Disney World visit in 1973 and the last time we checked (2 years ago) they will still honour them!

Los Angeles Ca.
5,858 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I'd like to address the ebay issue. I happen to sell a few coffee cards on ebay once in a while. These cards have already netted Princess their revenue when they were issued. I see it as no different then selling any gift card on any auction site. I think we'll see selling of these cards on our roll calls and meet and greet if Princess chooses to change their policy by adding an expiration date. If they eliminate the coffee cards altogether I will simply take my mini bar home with me and maybe use it maybe throw it away or give it away since I don't drink. I certainly won't leave it for Princess to reuse and net double revenue.
The other way the mini bar can be used is to trade it all for soda and thus eliminating the revenue from purchasing a soda card which I would consider. If Princess continues to downgrade the experience and raise the revenue people will consider more inclusive cruise lines.
SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,196 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
So would using the OM when it's in full effect. No cards to punch so nothing to be sold on eBay.
I suspect that adding an expiration date is in preparation to eliminating coffee cards with punches & being replaced with an OM option only for the current cruise. It could either be a limited number of specialty coffee drinks per cruise or an unlimited number like the soda package.

And not having coffee cards would eliminate the eBay selling of them. Several years ago Princess coupon books had a BOGO coffee card offer which were also being sold on eBay. The next year they were eliminated from the coupon book which probably isn’t a coincidence as a result of them being sold on eBay.

Selling coffee cards on eBay is not prohibited but by eventually eliminating coffee cards that closes that loophole. And creating a coffee package as part of OM would eliminate coffee cards & by adding an expiration date coffee cards will eventually be invalid.

It’s a financial decision Princess is making & adding expiration dates to coffee cards is probably the first step in transitioning to a cruise specific coffee package.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
8,025 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
I suspect that adding an expiration date is in preparation to eliminating coffee cards with punches & being replaced with an OM option only for the current cruise. It could either be a limited number of specialty coffee drinks per cruise or an unlimited number like the soda package.

And not having coffee cards would eliminate the eBay selling of them. Several years ago Princess coupon books had a BOGO coffee card offer which were also being sold on eBay. The next year they were eliminated from the coupon book which probably isn’t a coincidence as a result of them being sold on eBay.

Selling coffee cards on eBay is not prohibited but by eventually eliminating coffee cards that closes that loophole. And creating a coffee package as part of OM would eliminate coffee cards & by adding an expiration date coffee cards will eventually be invalid.

It’s a financial decision Princess is making & adding expiration dates to coffee cards is probably the first step in transitioning to a cruise specific coffee package.
I agree with everythinfg you said BUT
it still shouldn't apply to the coffee cards that were issued prior to them adding expiration dates.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
8,287 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
I agree with everythinfg you said BUT
it still shouldn't apply to the coffee cards that were issued prior to them adding expiration dates.
Much like those who purchased the AIBP prior to them changing it should have been grandfathered in!

I have two old coffee cards that we haven’t used in the last few years because we had the beverage package. I won’t be buying that this time around and hope they don’t give me issues using the cards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

Regal Princess 1/13/19 ~ W Caribbean
Sky Princess 1/11/20 ~ E Caribbean

169 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
This is just like when they went from the AIBP to the PBP and stated that those who had prior purchases or the "Sip and Sail" would be under the new program.

In their passage contract in the fine print they basically state they can change the terms at their will and this looks like they are changing their terms.

Maybe a little less bragging about how to circumvent the system would cause the system to not be changed.
3,694 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by indygirl99

Maybe a little less bragging about how to circumvent the system would cause the system to not be changed.
Very true statement and totally agree !