Travel for Mediterranean Cruise

BlueIce90

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and see there are tons of topics. I have no idea where to start, so I wanted to ask my question(s) and hope someone can point me in the right direction or provide any info possible.

I have been outside of the US before, but never traveled by plane (I've always flown within the US to some port and then cruised wherever). My next cruise is this April and is a Mediterranean cruise. I am very nervous about everything.. from timing everything, to booking hotels, to transportation.

Some questions I have are:

• Do you have any suggestions about what time my flight should leave to come back to the US when our cruise docks back in Barcelona?
    • What can I expect for the flight home (security, customs clearance, etc.)?
    • Should I just stay another night and leave Monday?

[*]Transportation

• Should I take a taxi?
      • What cost can I expect?
      • Is it easy to flag down a taxi at the airport/hotel/port?

[*]I'd rather avoid public transportation, any comments on this?

[*]Port Canaveral in FL has good transportation from airports to hotels, hotels to port, and vice versa. Does Barcelona have any of this?

[*]Any suggestion on hotels?

• Preferably one with shuttles/transportation to/from the airport/port.
    • I've considered Airbnb, but this also depends if you suggest I should take a taxi for transportation as I'd rather not take the public transportation with loads of luggage.

[*]Any other information for a first time traveler outside of the US (especially one dealing with cruising).

Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First of all, you work with the flights as scheduled, not the other way around. Most of the direct flights from Barcelona (BCN for short) direct to the US leave late morning. So, unless you make some other flight arrangements involving stops, those are the flights you have to chose from.

Taxi from the port is very commonly recommended and discussed on the Spain board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

There will be long lines of taxis. I think the cost is about 25 or 30 euros. Europe will have far better transportation systems than just about any US city, so your hotel may be very accessible by train, bus or other public transit.

You will have Immigration (called Passport Check in Europe) where you first touch down in Europe, and Customs at your final destination. Going home, you will have Immigration and Customs at the first place you touch US soil, unless you happen to route through Ireland, where you will do US pre-clearance.

For the US, that means claiming your bags at the your first US soil, and rechecking if you are going to another airport.

The Spain board will have lots of info, including hotel suggestions.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and see there are tons of topics. I have no idea where to start, so I wanted to ask my question(s) and hope someone can point me in the right direction or provide any info possible.

I have been outside of the US before, but never traveled by plane (I've always flown within the US to some port and then cruised wherever). My next cruise is this April and is a Mediterranean cruise. I am very nervous about everything.. from timing everything, to booking hotels, to transportation.

•  
  • Do you have any suggestions about what time my flight should leave to come back to the US when our cruise docks back in Barcelona?

•  

[*]Transportation

•  
    • Should I take a taxi?

•  

[*]Port Canaveral in FL has good transportation from airports to hotels, hotels to port, and vice versa. Does Barcelona have any of this?

•  

• I've considered Airbnb, but this also depends if you suggest I should take a taxi for transportation as I'd rather not take the public transportation with loads of luggage.

[*]Any other information for a first time traveler outside of the US (especially one dealing with cruising).

Thank you so much!

Think about it:

Spend money on international air fare and then not spend extra time in embarkation/disembarkation port(s). IMO, waste of airfare.

Definitely fly in at least two to three days early. With contemporary air travel, there's no more "miss a plane and get on the next one." Likewise, leave a minimum 3 hr. layover between connecting international flights (and use major hubs with lots of alternative flights if there's a problem).

Flying out (even from the same city), I'd wait at least until the next day. (Next cruise, pick different start/end ports and always put the best sites for art/culture/etc at pre/post cruise to maximize time there, e.g., Rome, London, New York, San Francisco).

For private car service to/from airports worldwide, check out mozio.com if for no other reason than to see pricing norms.

If you're staying in a good hotel property (do the research since 4 Star in Europe refers to services/amenities while in the US means quality), call concierge ahead to arrange for transport/tour guides/etc. Often, his/her recommendation will get you a better deal for better service.

Finally, Barcelona is pickpocket heaven. Buy yourself a Kevlar travel purse (uncuttable strap) and never carry anything of value in any pants/jacket pockets (especially men). Those little kids with bandaged fingers are hiding razor blades used to slit fabric and drop your valuables to the ground- sad but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone,

[*]Transportation

• Should I take a taxi?

Thank you so much!

Ok....

As you are mostly referring to Barcelona , you might post this in the Ports of Call - Mediterranean- Spain section as well.

Seems you are arriving back by ship into Barcelona on a Sunday morning.

Do you already have any ideas about your flights back home? Where to in the USA? As you were mentioning Florida, I believe there are direct flights between MIA and BCN.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and it would be a real shame not to spend a few days there. Two nights would be just right to see the best bits. SUNDAY'S are relatively quiet.

If you want to fly home the same day your ship arrives, I would not book a flight to the USA before noon.

It is recommended to be at the airport ( which is lovely, with great shopping) 3 hours before departure.

Taxis are plentiful at the cruise port when ships arrive. The long lines are very well managed by dispatchers. Ride to the airport is around half an hour, give or take a few minutes. NO need to book a special transport.

Your questions are manifold.

You will get a lot of recommendations, so be a bit more specific. Will your cruise be departing and arriving back in Barcelona?

Where will you be coming from/flying back to?

How many days if any, pre cruise do you want to spend in BCN. Now THIS is actually important! It would be a lot wiser and more relaxing for you to arrive at your departure port a day or two earlier.

Barcelona has an excellent public transport system, including a modern underground. One of Europe's best Hop-on, Hop-off (HoHo) networks.

Airport to town and town to port I have always taken a taxi and I am not aware of American style door to door hotel shuttles.

At the airport, customs and immigration formalities are strict, but friendly and polite. Unlike in your country not every foreigner at an airport is viewed as a likely enemy of the state. Tourists are generally welcomed and appreciated.

If your schedule allows, come one or more days early and stay one or more days at the end of your cruise. You feel less rushed and can leave your luggage (and your valuables in the safe) in your hotel room.

About flying out of the USA to Europe.

At check-in at the airline counter, you need your passport. They will take your luggage (hopefully just one suitcase), but you keep your onboard luggage which is probably a handbag and a small trolley suitcase. You then proceed to the same security stations that you use for domestic flights.

At arrival in the first foreign airport, you show your passport to the passport control officer. If it is your final airport, you proceed to the luggage carousel and from there through customs. Since you very likely have nothing to declare, you walk through the green gate out into the airport hall.

Let's say, you feel uncomfortable looking for a taxi in the foreign airport, you can pre-book a driver. We used blacklane.com in the past. The driver will be waiting for you with a sign that has your name. He/she will be outside the customs gate in a line with other drivers with name signs. The driver will take you to your hotel or ship.

Flying back to the USA:

You will probably be asked to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight leaves. There may be extra layers of security for planes bound for the USA. You check in with the normal procedure described above, go through security to your gate and wait. In some airports, we had an additional hand luggage screening right before boarding at the gate. Security personnel opened the hand luggage and went through it with gloved hands.

On your return to US soil, you go through the immigration line for US citizens and proceed to the luggage carousel from there. Customs is right behind it. Customs are the officials who make sure you don't bring in anything untoward. If it is your destination airport, you are free to go home after customs.

First, welcome to Cruise Critic!

My first recommendation is - breathe! It might all seem overwhelming, but lots of people have done the same thing you will be, so it's just a matter of gathering the relevant info.

Now, on to your very well organized questions:

I think, especially for an inexperienced traveller, 11 am is a minimum, after 12 pm is ideal. I'm a stay overnight type, so that would be my choice :D. More info on air travel here: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=128

• Transportation
    • Should I take a taxi?

At most airports and cruise ports there are taxi stands where both taxis and passengers line up, to be matched often by a dispatcher. Having done the taxi thing at BCN, I can tell you it was easy-peasy.

As for public transportation - don't fear it! I know especially for Americans used to going everywhere by car/shuttle, public transport can be intimidating, but it's sooo much more efficient in Europe. Indeed, I always feel I'm getting a real taste of a place when I hop onto a local bus/tram/train/etc. For Barcelona in particular, I can confirm their excellent public transportation system - the buses in particular are abundant, efficient and very comfortable (all air-conditioned, and they're serious about that - had the air con break down on one bus we were on, and they immediately stopped and swapped out the bus for a new one!) Don't just look at this for Barcelona, also look at public transport options in your port cities - for me, it's part of the fun of discovering a new locale.

More info on Barcelona on the Spain board: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=596

and for more info on any other European ports of call, look at the other Europe boards: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

And as a bit of an addendum, here is the Cruise Fashion forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=182, where you can get tips on how to pack light ;p- very liberating, I can assure you!

1. Flight times to Europe from the US are generally overnight. Best to try and sleep a bit on the plane. Hit the ground running as soon as you land and stay up all day. Then get your system caught up the first night. Because of this you really want to land a few days early. Give you a chance to adjust before the cruise.

2. On an international flight you go through immigration - then fly - then customs when you land. Immigration doesn’t take long so no need to worry about pre-flight waits. Just kind of a second version of security. Should arrive at airport 2-3 hours early for an international flight. Customs can take a bit but that’s after you land.

3. No, no need to stay an extra day unless you want to

4. I’ve never been to Barcelona so can’t give you specific info, but will say that the train system there is much better than any public transport here. We take trains for long distances and taxis for short distances.

As far as other info; pick pockets are huge in Europe. Always carry your money in front of you rather than in a backpack or back pocket. Be very wary of people, especially children, who approach you. It’s common for 1 person to distract you - try to sell you a flower or give you a bracelet - while another one tries to pick your pocket or bag.

2. On an international flight you go through immigration - then fly - then customs when you land. Immigration doesn’t take long so no need to worry about pre-flight waits. Just kind of a second version of security. Should arrive at airport 2-3 hours early for an international flight. Customs can take a bit but that’s after you land.

This is not true. You have to prove to the airline you are flying that you have a legal right to enter the country you are flying to, so you show them your passport, and a visa (if required- not required for Spain). You don't go through Immigration in the US for Europe.

Flying home is similar, but due to higher security, flights that go non-stop to the US face higher security checks. Usually one more check than non-US bound flights. Again, this at the request of the US, but IS NOT Immigration clearance. Unless you are flying from a small, select number of airports that have what is referred to as "pre-clearance". BCN is not one of the pre-clearance locations. From BCN, you will do US Immigration and Customs at the first airport you touch US soil.

This is not true. You have to prove to the airline you are flying that you have a legal right to enter the country you are flying to, so you show them your passport, and a visa (if required- not required for Spain). You don't go through Immigration in the US for Europe.

Flying home is similar, but due to higher security, flights that go non-stop to the US face higher security checks. Usually one more check than non-US bound flights. Again, this at the request of the US, but IS NOT Immigration clearance. Unless you are flying from a small, select number of airports that have what is referred to as "pre-clearance". BCN is not one of the pre-clearance locations. From BCN, you will do US Immigration and Customs at the first airport you touch US soil.

I’ve flown to many places in Europe, although Barcelona is not one of them. I’m giving general Europe flying information. But yes, you go through immigration clearance prior to boarding the plane in many European airports. But it’s not a lengthy process so trying to put OPs mind at ease that they don’t need an extra day to fly home.

I’ve flown to many places in Europe, although Barcelona is not one of them. I’m giving general Europe flying information. But yes, you go through immigration clearance prior to boarding the plane in many European airports. But it’s not a lengthy process so trying to put OPs mind at ease that they don’t need an extra day to fly home.

I have also flown in and out of Europe dozens of times. The increased security IS NOT Immigration. Those checks are performed by airline staff, or local hired security, not CBP. You don't do Global Entry, which is Immigration, in Europe. Unless of course you are flying from Shannon or Dublin.

I have also flown in and out of Europe dozens of times. The increased security IS NOT Immigration. Those checks are performed by airline staff, or local hired security, not CBP. You don't do Global Entry, which is Immigration, in Europe. Unless of course you are flying from Shannon or Dublin.

I wonder if sanger727 is confusing immigration with passport control (or I suppose on could say emigration ;)), the stamping of your passport prior to departing a foreign country.