Hebridean Princess tops prestigious list

knotheadusc

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello knot head. What is Hebredian's kid policy? You know why I'm asking! From the web site it looks like the meals are very formal is that true? We are intrigued but perhaps 50 is too small particularly if it is on the formal stuffy side both staff and guests. Input would be helpful as we explore various options.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello knot head. What is Hebredian's kid policy? You know why I'm asking! From the web site it looks like the meals are very formal is that true? We are intrigued but perhaps 50 is too small particularly if it is on the formal stuffy side both staff and guests. Input would be helpful as we explore various options.

Several years ago, we sailed on another of Hebredian's ships. Absolutely everything was included. We sailed up through the Hebredes -- if we wanted to visit a castle, a crew member came along to pay everyone's admission. One day, we called at an island with two ports -- they dropped us and a bunch of bicycles at one port, and moved the ship to the other port. Half-way across the island, they had rented a village hall, set up tables or lunch -- we're talking cloth tablecloths, china, crystal, silver -- and enough wine that not everyone navigated those bicycles the rest of the way.

Hubby is a single malt drinker (which is why we chose that cruise) -- no additional charge for good whiskey on that ship!

But yes, for Americans, the dining room is stuffy. If you're British, it is what you'd expect at a fine restaurant.

Hope that information is of some value to you.

What are you looking for from your cruise? destination, experience? and how old are the children?

Hi there. According the literature I got last year when we sailed, children under age nine are not allowed. We did two five night back to back cruises in November and had an awesome time. No kids on board at all. In fact, at age 40, I was the youngest on the first cruise. On the second cruise, there were a few people who appeared to be in their 20s, but they were with their parents. We met several really nice folks, including a couple of very elderly people who were still very sharp and spry and had fascinating stories about World War II!

I didn't think Hebridean Princess was "stuffy", really. It's not like SeaDream, though. There's no pool, hot tub, or spa and they have planned tours and activities in the morning and afternoon. You don't have to take part if you don't want to; you can organize something else, including fishing trips or hikes. Their pursers are outstanding and will hook you up. It is true that just about everything is covered. You pay up front and once you get piped on board, you don't have to spend another cent. They won't even ask you for a credit card! :D

I didn't think the meals were that much more formal than SeaDream's (in the dining room, anyway). There's less variety, but the food quality is excellent and so is the wait staff. Seating is not open, though, and you will have the same wait staff all week. You are expected to dress nicely for dinner. I made a couple of videos of the gala dinners and of Scotland itself. Let me know if you want the links. I also posted a big thread on the SeaDream board while I was on the Hebridean Princess. It has pictures and links to reviews. It's the "I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012" thread. I bumped it for you.

We had a fantastic time on Hebridean Princess. I would not hesitate to book with them again. In many ways, I liked it as much or even more than SeaDream. The staff is not as over the top friendly as SeaDream's is, but they are still excellent and very professional.

I even thought the stateroom was more comfortable and we were in the cheapest one with no windows. It is a very British experience, though. You'll be drinking excellent gin and tonics and scotches instead of mojitos!

I'm happy to answer any other questions, so let 'er rip!

Archived