Which Is Prettier???

ginagirl

Since we will be stopping at Bora Bora and Moorea, I was just curious what most people feel is the prettier of the 2 islands. And which island has the more friendlier beaches? Which one to spend more time touring? Your knowledgeable input will help us plan our stops. Thanx so much.:)

Beaches are not a big thing in FP, anywhere. Moorea has some nice beaches on the far side of the island (away from the bays). I have only seen them from a boat, and they seem to be inhabited mostly by surfers. Bora Bora has Matira, which is not much.

Bora Bora has the prettiest lagoon; Moorea has the prettiest mainland, by far.

I think that's a very hard question to answer because both islands are quite beautiful. I guess that overall I think that Bora Bora might have a slight edge from the water and from the beaches near Matira and the lagoon. We stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora for a week and swam/snorkled on both sides of the point and it was absolutely gorgeous.

However, I do think that Moorea has more to offer as far as touring the island. On Bora Bora, the views as I said, are great from water, but there wasn't a great deal to see while touring around. I preferred to stay at the beach. We rented a car on Moorea. We were told by Avis that it would take one hour to circle the island. Eight hours later we returned the car and hadn't been bored for a minute. Lots to see and all great!

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

On the surface, both islands offer about the same: lush greenery, tropical splendor, warm water, everything that you think about when you think about a South Sea island.

What Bora Bora has is a commerical center so if shopping is important to you, then you'll want Bora Bora. It's the more touristy of the two as it's been in the limelight for much longer. It has tons of different tours, both sea and land. This is why, I think, Princess has started to overnight here - to give folks more of a chance to experience the island and all that it offers.

Moorea, on the other hand, has some great stuff, but no real towns, per se. It is primarily a bedroom community for Papeete - many of the locals 'commute' back and forth on the ferry. There is shopping and, of course, the Tiki Theater, which can be a fun experience. It also offers land and sea tours, but doesn't have quite as much variation.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both of the islands are beautiful and just about as close to paradise as I've been.

I loved Moorea. We spent 3 days pre-cruise at the Sheraton and it is my favourite island.

Bora Bora is beautiful too, but I think I prefered the quietness of Moorea. I also bought my pearls in Moorea too (maybe that's why its my favourite???)

Are they black pearls? That is my favorite!!!:D

Wendy is spot on. Totally agree with her observations. Also, Moorea has far more interesting things to see if you go up in the hills to the archeological sites, the views and various stop offs (like the Agricultural School and ice cream stand).

Beaches are very rocky and shallow with a good deal of rocks underfoot in the water. Forget imagining powdery white sand chic chic beaches in the Caribbean. These are volcanic islands good for snorkeling or scuba.

Wendy is spot on. Totally agree with her observations. Also, Moorea has far more interesting things to see if you go up in the hills to the archeological sites, the views and various stop offs (like the Agricultural School and ice cream stand).

Beaches are very rocky and shallow with a good deal of rocks underfoot in the water. Forget imagining powdery white sand chic chic beaches in the Caribbean. These are volcanic islands good for snorkeling or scuba.

Well, friends, Tony & I went out today and purchased our first pair of beach shoes for our upcoming trip to the South Pacific. But I still can't get over the fact that the "powdery white sand" I've always seen in photos of Tahiti, etc., is nothing more than an illusion, hiding what lies beneath. To be honest, I have always loved the Caribbbean; and we have vacationed there tons of times; but I've always wished to go to Tahiti. And now, hearing the reality of the beach scene, just kind of took the bloom off the rose for me. Not to mention this cruise is costing about as much as 3 one-week vacations to the Caribbean.

Well, I am sure we will enjoy the cruise, we always do. But I guess a picture is not always worth a thousand words. At least, thanx to all you dear people, I will not be surprised - and will be able to frolic and splash somewhat with my new beach shoes on!!!:D But I'm telling you all, the minute I see anything that looks threatening, I will hightail it out of the water so fast.:eek: I am a true coward.

The only threatening thing you will see in the water will be of the two legged variety. The snorkeling is very good in Polynesia - fish, coral formations are great - even better than the Caribbean if that is your pleasure.

But you will need those water shoes - on land and in the water - to frolic and splash. Have a great time and don't be put off by the necessity of wearing the water shoes. Volcanoes, which created the reef system and beaches with volcanic rock, are the reason why Polynesia is so beautiful in the photographs and in person.

Wise words, wristband! To us, it's more important that we don't trash ourselves and enjoy our cruise pain free (or as pain free as you get at our age) than it is to go barefoot in the surf. Then and again, we grew up on Hawaiian beaches and there's always lava there, just lurking and waiting for you.

For my money, there isn't any place more beautiful in the world than French Polynesia, including the Caribbean, above or below the water!

Archived