Anyone going to the Antarctic soon?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:04 AM.
#1
5 Posts
Joined May 2012
Hello,
I am a sand collector from the states. I have sand from almost every country except Antarctica. I dont know if these expeditions stop at all, but if they do I will be more than happe to pay for some sand/soil from this continent. Contact me [email protected]
#2
UK
1,542 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by wha3454
Hello,
I am a sand collector from the states. I have sand from almost every country except Antarctica. I dont know if these expeditions stop at all, but if they do I will be more than happe to pay for some sand/soil from this continent.
The rule is you take nothing away other than memories and photographs...
#3
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
652 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by digitl
The rule is you take nothing away other than memories and photographs...
Yes indeed - you would be asking someone to break the rules and guidelines (and basic respect) set down by IAATO http://iaato.org/ to protect the entire continent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

#4
Philadelphia area
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by digitl
The rule is you take nothing away other than memories and photographs...
What rule? All that the WHA want is a handful of sand from a continent that is bigger than Europe. Why would anyone care?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New to cruising, but an experienced traveler
#5
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
652 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by pdmlynek
What rule? All that the WHA want is a handful of sand from a continent that is bigger than Europe. Why would anyone care?
Everyone that goes there cares. Everyone signs an agreement that they will not remove anything from the continent.

Anyone who cant respect that doesnt deserve to set foot on the continent.

Have a read of the IAATO website and you might understand a little more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

#6
Philadelphia area
600 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by PerfectlyPerth
Everyone that goes there cares. Everyone signs an agreement that they will not remove anything from the continent.

Anyone who cant respect that doesnt deserve to set foot on the continent.

Have a read of the IAATO website and you might understand a little more.
Thank you for the information about IAATO. I’ve read through it, and it looks like that trips to Antarctica leave very little impact on the visited places. Congratulations should go to people like you and others.

And I think that this is good. Antarctic environment is rather precious and surprisingly fragile. It makes sense that we as humans do not abuse it. It makes sense to respect nature and to treat it accordingly.

However, what does not make sense is some sort of a ban on getting a handful of sand or rocks from a continent that is almost twice as big as Australia. I simply do not understand why it is OK for OP to obtain a handful of sand from “almost every country”, but it is not OK to obtain it from Antarctica. Are places in Africa, or South America, or Europe, any less special than Antarctica?

A handful of sand or rocks wont make any difference to Antarctica. As a matter of fact, a company could transport tons rocks from Antarctica to other parts of the world on daily basis, and it would not make any difference to the environment of Antarctica.

And why is it OK for us to dig millions of tons of rocks and sand in Fimiston Open Pit in our backyard, yet someone a person looking to honor a faraway place collecting a handful of rocks and sand from Antarctica should be banished from the continent? This does not make sense.

Or am I mistaken?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New to cruising, but an experienced traveler
#7
London
617 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Did you know it is allegal in the UK to take sand off a beach. Anyway your pocketful might not cause concern but then where do you draw the line. Safest all round to stop anything leaving the great white continent. Just respect the rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
#8
108 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
The fact that sand (or any other resource) has already been exploited in many countries, does not mean that resources should be exploited in Antarctica.

The continent's pristine state is Man's one chance not to rip it apart for our own benefit. It will be a challenge.

And if "it's only a handful", then OK, it's not the end of the world. But it won't be one handful - it will be a handful for anyone who wants it.

Have a look at coral reefs, where people thought it a good idea to take a little bit home as a souvenir. It couldn't do any harm, could it?

And the OP is not asking for sand to "honor" the continent - they are doing it because they like collecting sand. They have little or no interest in Antarctica - they just want to finish their collection.
#9
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
652 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by peterscot
The fact that sand (or any other resource) has already been exploited in many countries, does not mean that resources should be exploited in Antarctica.

The continent's pristine state is Man's one chance not to rip it apart for our own benefit. It will be a challenge.

And if "it's only a handful", then OK, it's not the end of the world. But it won't be one handful - it will be a handful for anyone who wants it.

Have a look at coral reefs, where people thought it a good idea to take a little bit home as a souvenir. It couldn't do any harm, could it?

And the OP is not asking for sand to "honor" the continent - they are doing it because they like collecting sand. They have little or no interest in Antarctica - they just want to finish their collection.
Thumbs up - couldnt have said it better !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

#10
UK
1,542 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by peterscot
And the OP is not asking for sand to "honor" the continent - they are doing it because they like collecting sand. They have little or no interest in Antarctica - they just want to finish their collection.
Just how do you 'honour' a continent by asking someone to break an agreement and remove sand from it? And why would you want sand from a continent you haven't visited anyway?
#11
Southwest Florida
10,433 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by digitl
Just how do you 'honour' a continent by asking someone to break an agreement and remove sand from it? And why would you want sand from a continent you haven't visited anyway?
Couldn't Agree more! Would never dream of taking anything from the land away!

BTW It's also forbidden to take, sand, soil, plant material, rocks, shells from many places in the world, not just Antarctica..


Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
#12
961 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by pdmlynek
What rule? All that the WHA want is a handful of sand from a continent that is bigger than Europe. Why would anyone care?
Originally posted by pdmlynek


A handful of sand or rocks wont make any difference to Antarctica. As a matter of fact, a company could transport tons rocks from Antarctica to other parts of the world on daily basis, and it would not make any difference to the environment of Antarctica.

And why is it OK for us to dig millions of tons of rocks and sand in Fimiston Open Pit in our backyard, yet someone a person looking to honor a faraway place collecting a handful of rocks and sand from Antarctica should be banished from the continent? This does not make sense.

Or am I mistaken?
One very important reason for not taking anything from Antarctica is that
the Penquin "droppings" are very toxic. You "souvenir" could be contaminated.

Our boots were cleaned three times.
1) Before we boarded the Zodiac.
2) As we reboarded the ship; with bleach.
3) We carried our boots back to our Cabin, to be cleaned, with bleach, again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Set foot on all seven Continents.