Attention Solo Cruisers

mame42

Is this a harbinger of our future with HAL?

In the past Hal has been generous with discounted solo supplements for most of its OV and Interior cabins. However, with no prior announcement, even to those solos who pre booked, the discounted solo supplement has been eliminated for ALL cabins on the 2020 World Cruise regardless of date of pre booking or Mariner status (Although an exception is made on this sailing for previous WCers). In other words, a solo booking a first WC in an OV category D will pay a basic fare of $64,599 before port fees and taxes.

This represents an excellent method of discouraging solo bookings on WCs, but additionally, I worry that this may be an omen of the direction HAL will take in the future for all sailings.

In the beginning (early 2000s) I was paying 130 - 150% for a solo inside or obstructed outside on Caribbean sailings.

Just for the fun of it, I've occasionally priced a solo inside cabin on HAL's WC, and it was always discounted. Guess this has changed. They must have enough bookings with 2 in a cabin, maybe even a waitlist, so they know if they lose the solos they'll make it up.

Roz

I have sailed solo twice on HAL and can't recall getting any discount from the 100% supplement. 32 days in an OV, 14 days inside. EM

A lot depends on destination. I've never received a discount on Alaskan cruises.

Roz

I've taken four cruises on HAL - 2015, two in 2016, and 2018. I paid about 160% on three of these. The only one I have paid 200% on was to Alaska. I book ocean view cabins.

I am holding out hope that the 200% is not going to become the standard. I just did three dummy bookings for 2020 cruises (3 different itineraries - Cuba, Panama Canal, and Hawaii) and all of those came up with solo supplements in the 160%-165% range.

I paid 200 % and each solo cruise I have priced with my PCC was quoted at 200%

But don't you cruise in verandahs or suites? HAL has charged solos 200% on those since I first started checking prices in 2011.

But don't you cruise in verandahs or suites? HAL has charged solos 200% on those since I first started checking prices in 2011.

Yes, I sail in Neptunes and pay 200 % (sadly)

I was not a solo in 2011.

I just about always sail solo. My strategy with my TA has been to book an inside, usually an MM and then wait for an upsell. I have never paid 200%. I am paying 150%, and sometimes less. My TA booked me a 20 day Hawaii cruise for April 2019 at $1000 less than what any other agency that I saw had published for an L. I have also used the AMEX offers where they reimburse $100 for every $500 to good use. I have sailed to the Caribbean, Alaska, and a transatlantic.

In the past 2 years I have done 4 solo bookings with Hal and have not paid 200% for any of them. The rate was between 150-165% for 3 of them. Those cruises ranged from 24-36 nights and were either T/As or Europe. They were Inside cabins. The fourth cruise is an 89 night one I will be taking this September and the solo rate was 178%. This is for a Lanai cabin.

There are several other HAL cruises that I am considering for 2019 and 2020 and their solo rates for Inside and Outside cabins are still in that range. Those individual cruises are to Europe and Australia.

For all of the above cruises, this does not include the generous additional discount I receive from my travel agent.

It appears that Hal is determining the solo rate by cabin category and cruise destination. None of my cruises were to Alaska or the Caribbean.

A few days ago I canceled my 2020 WC because of a multitude of HAL headquarters unreasonable and unacceptable edicts, including their solo rate.

I am 4 star on HAL, Elite on Princess and have also cruised Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

I thoroughly enjoy my HAL cruises and time on board but HAL's recent corporate decisions have me really wondering if they know what they are doing and how negatively it is affecting their customers.

I've always paid 160% as a single in an Oceanview on HAL, up until the prices start to drop after final payment due date. At which point, the solo pricing typically goes to 200% but usually at a cheaper per person rate. From late 2017, I'm paying 175% as a single in an Oceanview on HAL, with many cruises actually 200% which until that change, had only been applicable to solos in Veranda staterooms and Suites.

I can feel HAL trying to encourage singles to book elsewhere, even if they don't say it. Just look at their "solo staterooms" on Koningsdam - they cost more than a solo booking a normal Oceanview! How does that make any sense to the buyer?

Solo cruisers have an advantage over others- they can take advantage of last minute opportunities without having to deal with someone else. When a line has unsold cabins (perhaps less common than in the past, but it still happens) prices usually drop. If the drop is enough, it may very well offset an increase in the single supplement premium. There is no ultimate difference between a $600 fare with a 100% premium and a $800 fare with a 50% premium.

I sail solo a lot. When I pay for 2 passengers, why doesn't the cruise line give me double points? Seems fair to me.

Princess gives solo passengers double points. You can reach Elite on Princess (top tier of their loyalty program, free wifi and laundry) after only 8 cruises. However, they aren't quite as nice as HAL either in service or food.... just my opinion.

Princess gives solo passengers double points. You can reach Elite on Princess (top tier of their loyalty program, free wifi and laundry) after only 8 cruises. However, they aren't quite as nice as HAL either in service or food.... just my opinion.

I got to Elite the old fashioned way, nice to know they do the double points when you are paying double. If Princess charges less than a 200% rate, do they still give the double credits?

Not that long ago, I always felt Princess was on par with HAL, but I agree with you. My last 2 cruises on them were so disappointing in both service and food. Unfortunate.

Solo cruisers have an advantage over others- they can take advantage of last minute opportunities without having to deal with someone else. When a line has unsold cabins (perhaps less common than in the past, but it still happens) prices usually drop. If the drop is enough, it may very well offset an increase in the single supplement premium. There is no ultimate difference between a $600 fare with a 100% premium and a $800 fare with a 50% premium.

BUT if we need to fly to get to t he ship , the last minute air fares eat up any solo cruise fare savings.

I got a great fare for my solo cabin on the Koningsdam. At the time I booked, which was about 10 months out, the solo cabin rate was about $800 less than the regular cabin paying 160%.

When I book a cruise I study the fares and get pricing from my TA for a variety of cabins before I pull the trigger.

Most of my fares paid as a solo have been in the 150-160% range so I consider myself fortunate. My Alaska cruises have always been with a friend so there was no solo supplement to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk