Transportation in Rome- Roma Card vs. taxis

dawnskers

I will be traveling with another woman- we are both 50+ years of age, and don't speak any Italian. I am considering the Roma pass, but wondering with there being two of us to share the cost of a taxi if we would be further ahead to do that. I am a bit concerned about the risk of pick pockets on public transportation- Rome is the beginning of our trip, and don't want to lose our finances before we arrive at the rest of our destinations!

Are you talking about a port day or a pre-cruise visit?

Also, why would you be carrying much money with you? NEVER carry more than you need for that one day.

I am talking about my credit card- I know not to take large amounts of cash with me. I will be in Rome for 3 days before a cruise- arriving 8/25 and departing via train for Florence 7/28.

Edited by dawnskers
Had date wrong for departure

The Roma Pass has a certain convenience factor on the face of it, but it pays to really think about how much you'll get out of using it, factoring in what your plans include, especially with the current cost.

With the 48-hour pass you only get one free entrance; with the 72-hour pass you get two free entrances. Most of the bigger attractions have ticket costs ranging from 12 euro (Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill) to around 20.50 euro (Borghese Gallery).

You do get to bypass the ticket line if you use it for the Colosseum, which may hold some value in itself...especially in the summer season.

Each metro/bus ride costs 1.50 euro. The metro is only convenient for a few sites, including the Colosseum (Colosseo stop) and the Vatican (Ottaviano stop for St. Peters, Cipro stop for the Vatican Museum). Mostly the metro does not cover well the "Centro Storico" (Historic Center) because of all the archaeological remains underneath the city that would have to be excavated. If you want to get around this area, you'll need to figure out how to use the buses. Or walk. Or take taxis.

If you are fairly fit, I'd say the best plan is to book a hotel in a very central area and take a taxi or use public transport only for the really outlying areas (e.g., the Vatican). A taxi ride from the Pantheon -- which is very centrally located -- to the Vatican should cost around 10-12 euros.

On a visit to Rome a few years back, I did try the Roma pass but it was a better deal back then. The cost was less and there were additional discounts. I probably ended up breaking just about even, but I did end up using the metro more than I would normally because I had the pass and it was a rainy week....(in December).

The Roma Pass has a certain convenience factor on the face of it, but it pays to really think about how much you'll get out of using it, factoring in what your plans include, especially with the current cost.

With the 48-hour pass you only get one free entrance; with the 72-hour pass you get two free entrances. Most of the bigger attractions have ticket costs ranging from 12 euro (Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill) to around 20.50 euro (Borghese Gallery).

You do get to bypass the ticket line if you use it for the Colosseum, which may hold some value in itself...especially in the summer season.

Each metro/bus ride costs 1.50 euro. The metro is only convenient for a few sites, including the Colosseum (Colosseo stop) and the Vatican (Ottaviano stop for St. Peters, Cipro stop for the Vatican Museum). Mostly the metro does not cover well the "Centro Storico" (Historic Center) because of all the archaeological remains underneath the city that would have to be excavated. If you want to get around this area, you'll need to figure out how to use the buses. Or walk. Or take taxis.

If you are fairly fit, I'd say the best plan is to book a hotel in a very central area and take a taxi or use public transport only for the really outlying areas (e.g., the Vatican). A taxi ride from the Pantheon -- which is very centrally located -- to the Vatican should cost around 10-12 euros.

On a visit to Rome a few years back, I did try the Roma pass but it was a better deal back then. The cost was less and there were additional discounts. I probably ended up breaking just about even, but I did end up using the metro more than I would normally because I had the pass and it was a rainy week....(in December).

Thank you so much! I think we will probably end up taking taxis and maybe brave the Metro for the Vatican. Appreciate your input.