Any snorkel operators on Grand Cayman without Stingray City?

sckal

Anyone been on a cruise to Grand Cayman and taken a snorkel excursion that doesn't include Stingray City? I enjoy it but I've been 3 times now and I'd rather spend my time snorkeling at the reefs. Thanks for any guidance. I may just go to Sunset House or the cove out past that.

PLENTY

b4 stingray city became 'a thing' there were plenty of snorkel trips offered on the island. Any snorkeling that stays on the west side is not gonna include StgCty which is in the north sound. Any trip that includes kittiwake is on the west side .... ditto 'cheeseburger'

And as you mention, DIY snork' at Eden, or Sunset or Smith's Cove is easy ... the first two have dive shops for renting equipment, Smith's does not.

PLENTY

b4 stingray city became 'a thing' there were plenty of snorkel trips offered on the island. Any snorkeling that stays on the west side is not gonna include StgCty which is in the north sound. Any trip that includes kittiwake is on the west side .... ditto 'cheeseburger'

And as you mention, DIY snork' at Eden, or Sunset or Smith's Cove is easy ... the first two have dive shops for renting equipment, Smith's does not.

Okay thanks for the info. I'll keep searching for keywords kittiwake or cheeseburger or just diy since I have my own equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
or just diy since I have my own equipment.

One trip my wife and I just walked from the tender dock to three locations. First we walked about 3/4 of a mile to the wreck of the Gamma. Bring beach shoes, because you have to walk on sharp coral to enter the water.

Before we left the ship, I could look up towards Seven Mile Beach and see the wreck of the Gamma sticking out of the water.

Afterwards, we walked back towards the tender dock. Before you reach it, you'll see a restaurant / bar that advertises the wreck of the Cali. You can rent a locker and swim out to the Cali from there. (Look for the sign on the walk to the wreck of the Gamma.)

After that, we walked to the far side of the tender dock. We rented a locker at Eden Rock Dive Center, entered the water there, and snorkeled that reef.

One trip my wife and I just walked from the tender dock to three locations. First we walked about 3/4 of a mile to the wreck of the Gamma. Bring beach shoes, because you have to walk on sharp coral to enter the water.

Before we left the ship, I could look up towards Seven Mile Beach and see the wreck of the Gamma sticking out of the water.

Afterwards, we walked back towards the tender dock. Before you reach it, you'll see a restaurant / bar that advertises the wreck of the Cali. You can rent a locker and swim out to the Cali from there. (Look for the sign on the walk to the wreck of the Gamma.)

After that, we walked to the far side of the tender dock. We rented a locker at Eden Rock Dive Center, entered the water there, and snorkeled that reef.

Good to know. So the wreck of the Cali is on the opposite side of the tender dock from Eden Rock? From what I can determine, Eden Rock and Sunset House are to the right of the tender dock.

So the wreck of the Cali is on the opposite side of the tender dock from Eden Rock?

Yes. There was a restaurant/bar on that side that advertises access to the wreck of the Cali (on it's sign on the sidewalk). I'm sure that bar or its successor (maybe Rackam's?) still does so. We stowed our gear there and just swam straight out to the wreck.

The wreck of the Gamma is harder to find on Google maps (click here for its location). There's absolutely no facilities at the wreck of the Gamma.

From what I can determine, Eden Rock and Sunset House are to the right of the tender dock.

If you are standing on the deck of the cruise ship, facing the shore and tender dock, that's correct.

Yes. There was a restaurant/bar on that side that advertises access to the wreck of the Cali (on it's sign on the sidewalk). I'm sure that bar or its successor (maybe Rackam's?) still does so. We stowed our gear there and just swam straight out to the wreck.

The wreck of the Gamma is harder to find on Google maps (click here for its location). There's absolutely no facilities at the wreck of the Gamma.

If you are standing on the deck of the cruise ship, facing the shore and tender dock, that's correct.

Awesome, thanks! I did a little research last night and saw what you were talking about.