Clothing Questions re: Avalon Central European Cruise

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:15 PM.
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Good morning. I've been reading several boards and reviews about appropriate dress on excursions off the boat. For those who have taken this cruise or anyone who could offer information about excursion dress for this particular cruise, are there any stops where women will not be allowed to wear shorts or sleeveless tops? It appears the weather will be very warm and I'd like to dress in a comfortable manner. But, I also don't want to be unable to participate in any part of the excursions. The bottom line is to prevent myself from over packing. Thanks so much for your help.
12,405 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
I don’t know exactly what stops you will be making, but it is typical in many cathedrals for women with bare midriff, knees and shoulders may not be allowed in. You can wear a scarf over the shoulders. Men really need to wear pants and not shorts. This is not uniformly enforced, but if a visit to a cathedral is on the schedule, probably better safe than sorry.

JC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises
Radiance of the Seas Alaska August 31, 2018
Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic October 28, 2018
Ovation of the Seas Transpacific Australia, Tahiti and Hawaii April 17, 2019
4/14/2017 Ovation of the Seas, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, China,
9/8/2016 Anthem of the Seas New England and Canada, 5/30/2016 Navigator of the Seas UK to Norway, 11/5/2015 Avalon Visionary Nuremburg to Remich, 2/28/2015 RCI Liberty of the Seas Belize, 2/21/2015 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 10/11/2014 Avalon Luminary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Austria, Cozumel 1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/2003, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/2002, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/2001, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/2000, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/1999, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/1998, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/1996
email me at [email protected]
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis
S.E. MA
1,088 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I’m going to Italy in a couple of weeks and expect it to be very hot. European people don’t seem to wear shorts (or white sneakers!) so I’m not bringing any. Am bringing a couple of pairs of cropped pants, a couple of skirts, lots of short sleeve shirts and blouses, and several dresses. I will bring a scarf but don’t expect to visit many churches.
Oahu, Hawaii
869 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
I took this cruise and do not recall once being told we had to dress a specific way for churches. I was there in August...it was warm. I was usually had on capri's and tshirts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My blog: http://rebelsouladventures.com/
4-3-2019: Avalon Siem Reap (Hanoi to Bangkok)
4-14-2019: Myanmar on the Myanmar (Cancelled )
7-18-2016 Avalon Artistry II (Prague to Paris)
09-22-2012 Westerdam (Alaska Inside Passage)
01-04-2010 Pride of America (Hawaii)
Lytham, NW England
174 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I’ve sailed with Avalon from Amsterdam to Bucharest, visited many, many churches and cathedrals and I have never had an issue with wearing shorts nor have I ever been advised not to wear shorts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To Do:
None yet!

Done:
2018 - Avalon Passion
2017-Brilliance of the Seas
2016-Brilliance of the Seas & Avalon Vista
2014-Celebrity Constellation
2013-Serenade of the Seas
2012-Celebrity Solstice & Celebrity Eclipse
2011-Mariner of the Seas & Norwegian Epic
2010-Jewel of the Seas & Celebrity Constellation
2009-Norwegian Jade & Brilliance of the Seas
2008-Navigator of the Seas & Norwegian Jade
2006-Grand Princess & Norwegian Jewel
2004-Jewel of the Seas
2003-Splendour (x2) (Atlantis) & Brilliance of the Seas
2002-Splendour of the Seas (Atlantis),Brilliance of the Seas & Norwegian Sun (Atlantis)
2001-Vision of the Seas
2000-Splendour of the Seas
North Carolina
6,081 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Have you read the Guides provided by Avalon? https://www.avalonwaterways.com/Know...You-Go/Europe/

Check the country-specific guides - I'm not sure where you're going. The general Europe guide does state
Sportswear is fine during the day (there may bea restriction on shorts and bare shoulders for some religious sights, where men as well as women are requiredto cover their shoulders and legs or remove their shoes when entering temples and shrines).
We were on Avalon for a Christmas Market cruise so that issue did not apply....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn 11 night Alaska 8/31/2018
Azamara 10 night Thailand/Vietnam Nov 2016
Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
266 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by waldorf
I’ve sailed with Avalon from Amsterdam to Bucharest, visited many, many churches and cathedrals and I have never had an issue with wearing shorts nor have I ever been advised not to wear shorts.
Your experience doesn't contradict or invalidate anything in this thread about ladies covering their knees and shoulders when visiting places of worship. I can't think of a major religion which tourists are likely to encounter in Europe which has the same dress expectations for both men and women in its places of worship, and usually it's the women who have to cover up.

Tourists get some leeway about what they wear compared to worshippers, but that doesn't mean that the locals necessarily welcome the sight of bare knees or men wearing hats in church. It was interesting last year on the Rhine that the guides Viking used made a point of asking men to remove their hats on the couple of times a tour included a cathedral.