Say It Ain’t So! Russ Is Leaving???

CA Oceanfront

It should also be noted that Russ is 62 years old (I’m not giving the game way as he gives you the maths freely to work it out for yourself!) and the full on energy he has to give in his own show and on White Night (he does not scrimp on effort in either) has to be finite. He needs a bit of rest now I’m sure. More regular vacation has to be good.

What always impresses me about Russ is that he is on it for the whole time he is out in the public areas, offering advice on the ship and making sure the guest is enjoying themselves. I’m sure he will be loved on Crystal as much as Azamara, but it’s going to be a bit of a slow down. You can’t blame him for wanting that. He’s a lovely man.

Phil

In fact, Ernest "replaced" Russ this past April and May when Russ went on vacation for two months. Ernest was hired as assistant CD because Tony was moved to Pursuit as primary CD and someone had to spell Russ when he vacationed. Amanda Poulson was hired as assistant CD to spell Tony on Pursuit in the same way.

I'd be surprised if any of this was done anticipating Russ's departure.

Anything is possible, but this seems to have worked out conveniently well for Azamara to have someone waiting in the wings who just left the entertainment part of the business to serve as cruise director. The timing for Azamara couldn't be better. Maybe it's just fortunate for Ernest that he was in the right place at the right time as well. Good for him.

Anything is possible, but this seems to have worked out conveniently well for Azamara to have someone waiting in the wings who just left the entertainment part of the business to serve as cruise director. The timing for Azamara couldn't be better. Maybe it's just fortunate for Ernest that he was in the right place at the right time as well. Good for him.

Keep in mind that it's just my supposition that Ernest will replace Russ as CD. No reason Azamara couldn't hire someone from another RCI brand or an outsider to replace Russ.

Russ was and still is without doubt the BEST CD in any of our many sailings. We had the honor of his delightful persona on our last two Quest holiday sailings. He was the power, the voice, the special person who brought us together, the caring and talented unique CD that provided such pleasure for all.

We have special pics and videos of his holiday suits :cool:, giving out presents on Christmas morning, special Home for the Holidays event as he served hot chocolate to all, his spectacular voice and his making our holidays so special while away from home.

New Year's Eve was a not to be forgotten event!

Russ, wherever you go, we both wish you all you all the wonderful things you deserve and we will try to sail with you again.

Azamara is great but was greater while you were with them.

He has a nice new career.. no more special suits or cute aprons but white boring uniform. which is long sleeve and hot

not sure if he was head hunted or he head hunted but he got a great company ship. As Phil said better hours- 2 on -2 off. But i thought Russ was 58 not 62.. no way he got older.

not sure if he was head hunted or he head hunted but he got a great company ship. As Phil said better hours- 2 on -2 off. But i thought Russ was 58 not 62.. no way he got older.

He definitely admitted to 61 or 62 a couple of weeks ago, giving dates for us to work it out, but it depended on the month of his birthday, hence I didn’t know which.

He laughed loudly when I told him my blog had said he had great energy for a man of his years. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He has a nice new career.. no more special suits or cute aprons but white boring uniform. which is long sleeve and hot

He said 62.

Phil

Just to confirm, this was posted by the Crystal VP of Entertainment on the Crystal Forum.

Posted Today, 07:42 PM

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We are happy to announce that Russ Thomas Grieve has been appointed as Cruise Director of Crystal Symphony. Russ will begin his Crystal familiarity voyage on the Grand Panama Canal sailing, August 10 – August 30, with his maiden voyage as Crystal Cruise Director on the New England Vistas sailing, August 30 – September 13. We are very excited to welcome Russ to the Crystal family, and look forward to many adventures ahead together.

Warm regards,

Keith Cox

Vice President, Entertainment

Russ is known to shake things up so Crystal may be in for a pleasant change!! He is around 62 as others have posted.

Sixty two is not old!! He for sure has energy and such a warm personality.

We need to look into a Symphony sailing.

Russ is known to shake things up so Crystal may be in for a pleasant change!! He is around 62 as others have posted.

Sixty two is not old!! He for sure has energy and such a warm personality.

We need to look into a Symphony sailing.

never said 62 was old- i just thought younger- but i seem to forget my age too.

yes, he will work hard to make some changes for the better. it will take time but i see better piano players and a way for a deck party of some kind. maybe officers serving food at a buffet or BBQ.

never said 62 was old- i just thought younger- but i seem to forget my age too.

yes, he will work hard to make some changes for the better. it will take time but i see better piano players and a way for a deck party of some kind. maybe officers serving food at a buffet or BBQ.

Do you think Crystal is ready for Russ?! I am not sure. Lol [emoji23]. We really enjoyed him on Azamara.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on two Azamara cruises, both with Russ as CD. The second cruise was 11 months later, but he remembered us and stopped and talked to us frequently. A great guy!:)

well, as any loyal AZ guest knows we do not shake hands. I wonder if Russ will be able to handle shaking hands.. i use to run to the bathroom to wash my hands. i never felt good about shaking hands for 5 weeks. I do believe he will in time shake things up. .not the first two months by by the 3d contract.

we had the pleasure of having Russ as our cruise director on every Quest cruise since 2010 (it just worked out that way) Will miss him greatly on Azamara, but we have been looking for new cruise experiences, so maybe Crystal is in our future and we'll see him again.

Russ is by far the best CD in the business, in my and many others' opinion! He deserves more time off as he gives so much of himself on a cruise. I hope that I can sail with him in the future on Crystal's Symphony.

Yes, good point. I guess Azamara will also write something nice informing officially that Russ is leaving.

Ivi

A little late as we known for two weeks. Saw great pictures today from his last show.

I have just copied this entire thread and sent it to Russ.

I for one can tell you Russ will be missed by all of us, and we do wish him the very best in his next cruise chapter. :ship:

Note: this post is not by any means an official statement from the company. These are my words. When I sent the thread off to Russ I also copied the other senior staff, as well as our land-based Hotel Department.

I've not ever seen any officially printed words when other employees have left Azamara but I have invited all of the above to provide comment for this forum if they wish, including Russ.

A little late as we known for two weeks. Saw great pictures today from his last show.

Not really fair. Russ did not want it publicised generally until recently. The news leaked out. He only announced it officially at White Night last Saturday. He decided to leave of his own accord to pursue another avenue.

Honestly, I think it’s being blown out of proportion here. He’s a great guy, he’ll be missed on Azamara, but wishing him all success for the future. I am sure he doesn’t want a big fuss made if it.

Phil

I've not ever seen any officially printed words when other employees have left Azamara but I have invited all of the above to provide comment for this forum if they wish, including Russ.

I would be surprised if any cruise line announced that an officer was leaving for a posting with another company.

If it were a retirement that would change my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's an email from Russ I received late yesterday...

Bonnie...

I am sitting in my office @ 11:10pm and I just opened this email and saw the thread of Cruise Critic. WOW! My eyes are full of tears as I read this. I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has ever sailed with me on the Quest. My heart is full as I write this.

It was not an easy decision for me to leave the Quest. This is my family and has been for the last 8+years. The opportunity came and I could not pass it up. I leave here knowing that it has been an AZAMAZING journey and I am all the better for having bought the ticket and taken the ride.

Please continue to enjoy the Quest as it is a beautiful ship with some of the best crew on the seven seas.

Until next time...eat, drink and be happy! Hugs to all!

Best,

Russ Thomas Grieve | Quest Cruise Director