Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:02 PM.
Lake Erie's South Shore
4,233 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
There are problems with this and those of us on the 8/24 sailing will have NO time to disembark in Victoria and a shortened time in Ketchikan because the Pearl has to travel more slowly to preserve the integrity of this apparatus which helps move the ship.

NCL has offered a full refund if passengers so choose or else a $50 per cabin credit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
Celebrity Edge E.Caribbean Inaugural: 12/16/18
Celebrity Eclipse B2B Buenos Aires-Chile-San Diego March 10 to April 8 2019
Avalon Illumination Legendary Danube 11/7/19
Most Unique:
William Clay Ford, Ford Motor Company Flagship-Duluth MN to Detroit MI-8/86
The CAT-Yarmouth NS to Portland ME-7/18
President #7-Yangtze River-5/14
11 Cruises with Celebrity
1 Cruise on NCL
Chicago
4,800 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I was wondering how long it would be till this news made it here.

Hey you are from Avon Lake! I have lots of family there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS Norway, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Wind, Norwegian Spirit, Pride of America, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Norwegian Epic, Carnival Pride, Carnival Glory, Allure of the Seas, Carnival Splendor, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Star, HAL Eurodam, Norwegian Jewel, MSC Seaside.

Next up:
Feb 2019 HAL Oosterdam 14 day Caribbean
3,218 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
James,

I remember you told me about this a couple of weeks ago it seems? Knew it would show up eventually.

It's too bad as Victoria was very, very pretty. After planning for such a long time though I think I'd go ahead with my Alaska plans.

My family still discusses which was better, out Hawaii vacation or our Alaska one. I'm on the Hawaii side.
Lakewood, Washington
6,461 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by TMLAalum
There are problems with this and those of us on the 8/24 sailing will have NO time to disembark in Victoria and a shortened time in Ketchikan because the Pearl has to travel more slowly to preserve the integrity of this apparatus which helps move the ship.

NCL has offered a full refund if passengers so choose or else a $50 per cabin credit.
That's not good news at all! How did you hear about it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Leesburg FL
495 Posts
Joined May 2008
What is an Azipod?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

06-27-2015 Norwegian Getaway Caribbean
03-13-2014 Grand Circle M/S Bizet The Seine River
03-16-2013 Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean
09-07-2008 Norwegian Pearl to Alaska
07-03-2005 Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda
3,218 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by lambchoplady
What is an Azipod?
Does anyone know anything about electricron? He is an awesome poster when it comes to this technical stuff. I haven't seen him for a while.
Lakewood, Washington
6,461 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by TMLAalum

I would think this would not only affect your cruise, but the ones after you on the 31st and into September. Has anyone else heard anything?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cumberland Plateau of TN
4,682 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
here is a picture of an azipod drive on some NCL ship -- sorry, can't remember which one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ad_1198_8.jpg (14.4 KB, 222 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  • SS Lelani - Los Angeles to Honolulu - 1958
  • USS Hopewell DD-681 1965-1967 Los Angeles, San Francisco, Maui, Honolulu, Midway Island, Guam, Formosa, Japan, Hong Kong, Phillipines, Gulf of Tonkin, S. Vietnam
  • MS Wilderness Adventurer - Alaska - 2000
  • Norwegain Dawn - Eastern Caribbean March 2008
  • Norwegian Pearl - Western Caribbean - January 2009
  • HAL Ryndam - Western Caribbean - January 2011
  • Norwegian Dawn - Nov 2013 Western Caribbean
Staten Island, New York
652 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
This is not good. I hope they don't have to cancel any cruises because of this problem.

How easily can an azipod be fixed? Does it require a drydock?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
/First Cruise 8/19/06 NCL Spirit: St. Thomas, Tortolla, King's Wharf
Second Cruise 11/03/07 NCL Gem Cancelled
Second Cruise 10/12/08 NCL Pearl: Belize, Costa Maya, Great Stirrup Key
Third Cruise 8/23/15 NCL Pearl: Seattle, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Victoria, B.C., Glacier Bay.

Walt Disney World: 11/18/17- 11/26/17
Charlotte, NC
11,020 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Victoria is nice, but if you are going to skip a port, that's the one you'd want to miss.

My parents chose to stay on the boat in Victoria. The port time is normally 6 PM to 11:30 PM, and that is pretty late, and interferes with cocktail and dinner hour for many.

We did go ashore and are glad we did, but if I had to choose between not going and getting a refund and the port changes, I'd go on the cruise. The 50 bucks is a nice gesture.

Ketchikan is a really nice port, and less port time there may impact excursions some. How much shorter is that port of call?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
Leesburg FL
495 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thank you all for enlightening me about the azipod - the picture was very helpful . I sure hope it's fixed before we sail on the 7th!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

06-27-2015 Norwegian Getaway Caribbean
03-13-2014 Grand Circle M/S Bizet The Seine River
03-16-2013 Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean
09-07-2008 Norwegian Pearl to Alaska
07-03-2005 Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda
Chicago
4,800 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I have known about this since the night it happened. It sounded like at first they were going to have to do an emergency dry dock before the repo cruise to Miami but now I think they are in no rush so I wouldn't worry too much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS Norway, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Wind, Norwegian Spirit, Pride of America, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Norwegian Epic, Carnival Pride, Carnival Glory, Allure of the Seas, Carnival Splendor, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Star, HAL Eurodam, Norwegian Jewel, MSC Seaside.

Next up:
3,218 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by lambchoplady
Thank you all for enlightening me about the azipod - the picture was very helpful . I sure hope it's fixed before we sail on the 7th!
I really don't want to appear negative, but there is very little chance that it will be fixed before the 7th.
Toms River NJ
253 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We are on the repo cruise on 9/21...any info out there, as to how this
might effect us ?
We are spending a fortune for this trip and $50 OBC will not cut
it with us.
Please keep us all posted and informed...Thanks so much
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BARBARA
Lake Erie's South Shore
4,233 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
This is how we heard the news. One of the couples who is cruising with us, but booked thru a different travel agent, was informed by her TA today and she passed the news onto us. I have previously posted about my disillusionment with our group's TA and none of us, including the group leader, were notified.

As for us, we are in Portland and wouldn't think of cancelling at this point, plus we have had time in Victoria BC in the past, and except for missing the buskers at the Inner Harbour and the absolutely fantastic oysters there, I guess that missing this port is the most acceptable of possible options for us.

Will any upcoming Pearl voyage be cancelled due to this problem?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
Celebrity Edge E.Caribbean Inaugural: 12/16/18
Celebrity Eclipse B2B Buenos Aires-Chile-San Diego March 10 to April 8 2019
Avalon Illumination Legendary Danube 11/7/19
Most Unique:
William Clay Ford, Ford Motor Company Flagship-Duluth MN to Detroit MI-8/86
The CAT-Yarmouth NS to Portland ME-7/18
President #7-Yangtze River-5/14
11 Cruises with Celebrity
1 Cruise on NCL
Chicago
4,800 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
At first they were thinking they would have to cancel one and do the emergency dry dock but now it sounds like they can continue without any big problems. Soon the ship will go to Miami and if anything is needed they can do a quick drydock in the Bahamas.

A Carnival ship has the exact same thing broken and they have been cruising with the problem for about 10 months now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next up:
1,530 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by ohioNCLcruiser
At first they were thinking they would have to cancel one and do the emergency dry dock but now it sounds like they can continue without any big problems. Soon the ship will go to Miami and if anything is needed they can do a quick drydock in the Bahamas.

A Carnival ship has the exact same thing broken and they have been cruising with the problem for about 10 months now.
James what date is set for drydock? I've searched around and can't find anything nor do I see a break in it's schedule.