Week of December 12: Worst Holiday Guest

Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:28 PM.
Ewing, NJ
2,543 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Have you had an holiday guest horror stories? Maybe you were the bad guest?

Let's try to keep this lighthearted as possible --- we would love to hear your funny stories involving holiday guests gone wrong!

We generally don't have overnight guests - lack of space. We generally tend to spend the Christmas holiday just the four of us, relaxing in our jammies all day.

I can imagine we would be guests that could be irksome though - a high spirited almost 8 year old boy, a broody teenager, a mom who can never sleep --- who wants to invite us over

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. Thanks for understanding
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Senior Community Support
Contact Us

Submit your cruise review with photos
Haywards Heath
695 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
I had a drunk man tell me he was going to bite me because I wouldn't hug him, he fell asleep on the hood of my coat and put his bow tie in my shoe! Strange guy...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska 2005 - Hawaii 2005 - Baltic 2008 - Bahamas 2009 - Mediterranean 2009 - Canary Islands # 1 2012 - Northern Europe 2012 - Bermuda 2015 - Canary Islands # 2 2015 - Western Caribbean 2016 - Greek islands 2016

To come:
France and Dutch Adventure - Royal - Independence of the Seas - 2017
Mediterranean - MSC - Meraviglia - 2017

Join the young cruisers conversation at: www.cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk
Dallas, TX
209 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
When the kids were in their "dating" period, we would have some awkward girlfriends along as their guests. They never knew what to say, and were either silent stones the whole event, or talked way to much about way to personal issues. Tried to make everyone feel comfortable!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Long Island,NY
3,525 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Approximately 17 years ago our front door bell rang .When I opened the door I saw two people with luggage .The guy was someone that I knew as a teenager but had not had contact with for more than 30 years .
He told me that a mutual friend told him that if he was ever in NY he would be welcome to spend a few nights in my home.I had never said that or anything close to that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4,077 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
We usually spend Christmas with our families out of town, where we grew up. Of course, we may be "that guest". LOL!!! We really haven't had someone who has been worthy of a "holiday horror story", but I know a few of my mother's siblings tend to "grate her nerves"...but I know for a fact that my mom grates their nerves. Not much of a horror story, just sibling squabbling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

central florida coast
1,342 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
The screen name anonymity is helpful here

It isn't that this family member is the worst guest but rather that they must have become so comfy staying for the weekend that they forgot they were among other folks.

They had a skin rash and scratched vigorously over the kitchen counters and also picked on feet while sitting in the den. The kitchen counters I got up quickly and washed and finally spoke up about the feet.

Sorry cruisers about the ew but I've been holding this in for months

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Mardi Gras, RCCL Song of America, RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2X, Celebrity Horizon, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2X, Celebrity Century 2X, RCCL Navigator of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Millennium, Grand Princess, Carnival Sensation, Celebrity Equinox, Disney Dream, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, Oceania Riviera, Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Silhouette
To come: January 2016 Celebrity Eclipse
To come: January 2017 Holland America Konigsdam
New York
5,862 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Last year my first cousin came to spend the Christmas/New Year holidays with me. She brought her little Yorkie. Almost as soon as she arrived, she came down with the worst cold just short of the flu. Between the coughing and nose blowing, it felt like a sick ward instead of the joyful holiday period I imagined. She didn't like any of the food choices I had available and insisted in eating out every day. Imagine the looks we got as she started to cough and sneeze.

Then her Yorkie left her mark all over the apartment. So, I had 2 patients! Somehow we survived the holidays and were still talking after she went home. Not one of my better holidays!

1,594 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
My cousins showed up unexpectedly but that wasn't too bad because we always have plenty of food. They brought their dog who wasn't potty trained and that did not make me very happy.
London, Ontario
11,635 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Worst Holiday Guest, at home or sea - Norovirus.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Muster: Radiance — July 17, 2018

To see my past LIVE reviews, expand my signature below!

Eastern Caribbean (Harmony) - Mar 2018 Live Review
Western Caribbean (Harmony) - Sept 2017 Live Review
Western Caribbean (Harmony) - Mar 2017 Live Review
Eastern Caribbean (Harmony) - Nov 2016 Live Review
Eastern Caribbean (Allure) - Aug 16 Live Review
B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (Allure) - Mar 16 Live B2B Review
Western Caribbean (Independence) - Oct 15
Western Mediterranean (Allure) - May 15
B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean (Allure) - Mar 15
Western Caribbean (Oasis) - Nov 14
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - June 14
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - Mar 14
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - Nov 13
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - Aug 13
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - Mar 13
Eastern Caribbean (Allure) - Jan 13
Western Caribbean (Allure) - Oct 12
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - June 12 RLS cabin review
Western Caribbean (Oasis) - May 12
Panama Canal (Island Princess) - Jan 12
Eastern Caribbean (Oasis) - July 11 Review
Eastern Caribbean (Emerald Princess) - Oct 09
Eastern Caribbean (Crown Princess) - Feb 09
Southern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess) - Nov 08
Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess) - Mar 08
Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess) - Nov 06
Alaska (Serenade of the Seas) - July 06
Western Caribbean (Grand Princess) - Feb 06
Hawaii (Radiance of the Seas) - Sept 05
Western Caribbean (Star Princess) - Jan 05
Alaska (Dawn Princess) - July 04
494 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
One year we decided to save money, and not drive the 3 hours over 2 mountain passes to spend Christmas with the relatives. Plus gas prices were over the top! On Christmas Eve while driving around our small town admiring Christmas lights, a motorist with no insurances side swiped our car - causing minor body damage but also sliced & flattened a tire. We had to pay for a tow truck on Christmas Eve and buy a new truck tire! We left the scrape. It would have been cheaper to make the trip!!!
141 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
A long time ago my family had a Christmas party and everyone was feeling good and getting a bit rowdy. My parents had some not so nice neighbors so we all thought it would be fun to sing Christmas Carols outside of their house....
4 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Christmas party, two years ago, after a few cocktails, my wife told our friend that, "she wouldn't sue him if she stuck him with a dart" as we were playing darts at a local pub.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Finger Lakes
2,330 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Fortunately no holiday guests but when brother stays he is quite a messy person and I have to resist picking up after him.
Thanks for the giveaways.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
02-15-2005 Carnival Inspiration W.Caribbean
08-15-2012 Island Princess, Alaska
NCL Pearl Dec. 2014 Southern Caribbean
NCL Star June, 2015 Norway Fjords

Angelito Galapagos cruise Dec, 2015
NCL Spirit Feb, 6, 2016 E. Caribbean cruise
NCL Sun Nov-Dec, 2016 South America
NCL Jade- Jan. 2017 W. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Sept . 2017 Bermuda
Diamond Princess Feb, 2018 Australia & New Zealand
44 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
My sister-in-law is a great person...when dealing with her from long distance. She tends to be very moody and ungrateful. For our holiday meal she arrived at our house 20 minutes late, empty-handed, and with her two large dogs in tow. We had ten people for dinner and her dogs were constantly underfoot for the entire meal.

After devouring several large servings the meal everyone contributed to, but her...she had the audacity to complain that we did not do a fried turkey as well as the baked turkey and ham we provided.

A day or so later in that visit, she became very inebriated and was verbally berating my husband for several hours. Despite our warning to watch the alcohol intake, she assured us, she "Never gets sick," and consumed nearly a bottle of vodka. Needless to say, she got very sick that night...starting out in the guest room before ending up in the bathroom.

While this merriment was taking place, her dog was frantic with worry over her erratic behavior and began urinating on my carpets and rugs. It is amazing how much urine a 15 lb. dog can hold! Hopefully no one else has the "pleasure" of finding out like I did.

Roseburg, OR
186 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
We were living across from the beach in Lahaina, Maui when I answered the door to find a couple with suitcases standing there. They said my mom told them to come stay anytime; she later said that they were distant relatives that she barely knew and didn't invite. It took almost a week to get them to leave. Changed the locks after they were gone, had some mai tais, and didn't answer the door for awhile.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In the Valley, CA
23,044 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We try to avoid guests. the last set of guests were actually for a birthday slumber party...and my daughter's friends who were staying after the non-sleepover guests left all brought their sleeping bags. so not at the holidays, but a few of these young teenaged girls were a bit out of control. I think they freaked out one of the other girls, who disappeared overnight (turned out she had called her dad for a ride home).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at