Week of December 26: Gifted a Cruise

Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:48 AM.
South-East Coast
13 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I am such a pro at throwing things together last minute - except for with clothes! Haha. But no biggie, my husband and I would be thrilled for a surprise free cruise to Bermuda for some serious scuba diving!

Our only issue we'd run into is finding a last minute babysitter, unless said cruise has room for our little ones
4,079 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by CC Help Jenn
Happy Holidays!!

You were just gifted a cruise - lucky! You have 24 hours before you leave.

Where are you going? Are you ready to go in 24 hours? What will you pack? In your rushed state what will you be okay with leaving behind/leaving without?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. Thanks for understanding
This is a tough one, but I sure wish I had that problem.

If I could go "solo", I'd go on a Caribbean cruise, preferably to the southern Caribbean out of San Juan. I could probably be ready in 24 hours. I'd probably be spending my time trying to get a flight and once flight was secured, then I'd pack. Definitely swim suits, shorts, tops, a pair of dress black pants and a few tops to go with them (for a few nights in the MDR), sandals/flip flops, sunscreen, cameras, travel documents, boarding pass, photo ID and birth certificate (we're in the process of renewing out passports), wallet with some cash/credit card, toiletries and make-up. I'd probably be forgetting something and in a rushed state, I guess I could leave behind the "formal wear" and just eat on Lido Deck.

In reality, I probably could not do it. I normally cruise with my hubby and I don't think it would be a good idea for him to take that many vacation days, especially last minute at "year end". That would not go over to well. And since we've always cruised together, I think I'd really miss him. If we could do it, the problem would be finding someone to take care of our cats while we were away on a last minute notice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

Cabot Arkansas
41 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Well since I'm going on my first cruise Ever January 2017, and not sure was is and isn't needed. I would pack like crazy, grab the important papers, medicines,money lots of money, bottle of wine for embarking, :smiles and sunglasses : and head to the carribean. Where I will make new friends and memories to last a lifetime. Ahhhhhh
594 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Best gift ever, an Eastern Caribbean cruise!

What will I be OK leaving behind? Well, while I'm never 100% OK leaving my dog, but my priority would be getting her the best boarding around. She deserves vacation just like me!

I would have to be OK leaving the Christmas decorations up - a cruise is worth it

Everything essential could be packed quickly - camera, phones and chargers, meds, and of course light, breezy clothes and lots of swimsuits!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

DETAILED GUIDE TO BERMUDA AND REVIEW OF SUMMIT Please click on pics to see them in the review.
February 13, 2016 Sister- Sister Trip to the Bahamas on Carnival Fascination
June 1, 2014 Celebrity Summit to Bermuda
April 6, 2013 Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean Honeymoon Cruise
April 2002 Celebrity Century Western Caribbean
Northern California
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
We could absolutely be ready in 24 hours....as long as I could get off of work! I'd pick a cruise to the Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles...it would be an easy drive to the port. No worries about packing, just need passports, cash & credit cards, and meds. Anything else forgotten can be purchased on board and at ports. Sign me up!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2014 Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera
2013 Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean
2011 Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
2009 Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera
Chesapeake VA
40 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I am off to the Southern Caribbean!

As soon as I finish my happy dance, I am rolling my suitcase to the chaise in my bedroom for quick loading: pajamas, long black dress (casual and does not wrinkle), short black dress, jeans, two bathing suits, bathing suit cover, flip flops, flat but sort of fancy sandals, five tops, five pairs of shorts, two jewelry changes, two workout outfits and fitness shoes, undergarments, evening bag, beach bag, sun hat, shades, sun screen, Dawn for hand-washing, meds, family picture (for me to say good morning and goodnight to people in photo. Hubby doesn't like cruising and if no one can go I can do it alone with no problem), laptop, cords for cell and laptop, wireless headphones, two real books from my to-be-read shelves, AMEX, passport, cash. I will buy anything else I need.

Can you hear the zipper close as I get ready to roll my bag to the top of the stairs for hubby to put it in the trunk? I'm so ready I think I'll make another cruise reservation for a 2017!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1986 Carnival Carnivale; 1986 Premier Big Red Boat; 1991 Carnival Fantasy; 1998 Carnival Ecstasy; 1999 Carnival Fantasy; 2000 Premier Rembrandt; 2001 Carnival Victory; 2002 Carnival Triumph; 2003 Royal Caribbean Navigator; 2004 Royal Caribbean Voyager; 2005 Royal Caribbean Mariner; 2006 Norwegian Dawn; 2007 Carnival Sensation; 2007 Crown Princess; 2008 Caribbean Princess; 2009 Explorer of the Seas; 2010 Freedom of the Seas; 2012 Allure of the Seas; 2013 Independence of the Seas; 2014 Oasis of the Seas; 2015 Quantum of the Seas, 2016 Celebrity Summit
13 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
We always seem to take the same basics so no problem packing and jumping on at the last minute. We actually booked the SA tour about 4 days before the sail when the weather forecast a huge snowstorm,we had to go sunny. We always have our passports and ID.We would just take extra money and not worry about the rest.We would jump a flight or drive if that was not possible. It is just not possible to have a bad time on a cruise no matter how little planning. Not to mention that the unplanned trips always seem to be even more fun!
Queensland, Australia
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
We don't care where we cruise to, hubby and I are retired so could leave at a moments notice. As for getting ready - we only ever pack the night before and because we holiday / cruise so often have a set list which we take. (Except for our next cruise in January which is 89 days). We'll start packing a couple of days before.
344 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
NCL's circle Hawaii cruise is right down the street from us. We have our go-to travel items ready to go at any time; casual evening and resort day time wear at the ready!
Auburn, Maine
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
We have never cruised before so we could easily be ready in 24 hours and does it really matter what you forget? I am sure you can buy whatever you need either en-route or on the ship!!
389 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We are ready to go NOW Our next trip is in 45 days, long time to wait. R and R
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oceanic and NCL long time ago
2003 March 27, Fantasy - Carnival,
2004 March 29, Inspiration - Carnival,
2005 April 20 Facination - Carnival,
2006 April 29 Imagination - Carnival,
2008 March 29 Glory - Carnival
2009 Jan 19 Majesty of the Sea's - Royal C.
2010 March 22 Destiny - Carnival
2011 March 5 Dream - Carnival,
2012 Jan 12 Ecstasy - Carnival,
2012 March 10 Dream - Carnival,
2012 Aug 6 Paradise - Carnival
2013 April 6 Freedom - Carnival
2013 Aug.1 Victory - Carnival
2014 March 9 Legend - Carnival
2014 Aug 4. Victory - Carnival
Jan 2015 - Conquest - Carnival

Feb. 2017 - Carnival Pride
April 2018 - Sunshine - Carnival
Aug 2018 - Magic Carnival
Oviedo, Fl
181 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
my family and I would be ready in 24 hours and we would leave from Port Canaveral because we only live 40 minutes from the por and we would cruise to the Bahamams We would pack short shirts, and our dress clothes and bathing suites... Happy New Years
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fascination 10/2004
Carnival Fantasy 10/2005
Carnival Glory 10/2006
Carnival Inspiration 8/2007
Carnival Legend 10/2008
Carnival Sensation 1/2009
Carnival Sensation 4/2009
Carnival Sensation 10/2009
Carnival Sensation 5/2010
Carnival Sensation 9/2010
Carnival Sensation 5/2011
Carnival Sensation 9/2011
Carnival Sensation 3/2012
Carnival Sensation 10/2013
Carnival Sensation 5/2014
Carnival Sensation 10/2014
Carnival Sensation 05/2015
Carnival Legend 09/2015
Carnival Sensation 01/2016
Carnival Victory 09/2016
Carnival Liberty 02/2017 Carnival Paradise May/2017
34 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Where are you going? Anywhere is fine with me. I love to see new places.

Are you ready to go in 24 hours? Oh yeah never a problem.
What will you pack? everything I need would be packed for me entire family in a few hours

In your rushed state what will you be okay with leaving behind/leaving without?snow and the cold weather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Princess Crown Christmas 2013
Holland America Maarsdam June 2000 Mediterranean
Carnival Sensation June 1999 Western Carribean
89 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
We'd definitely be ready to go! Could be packed and in the car within a few hours. Any cruise leaving from Port Canaveral or any other port to the south that gets back on Monday January 9 would work. We just need to be in Tampa by Monday afternoon that day for the National Championship Game. Roll Tide!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Majesty OTS W. Caribbean 1996
RCCL Nordic Empress Bermuda 2002
Carnival Elation W. Caribbean 2012
Ruby Princess Alaska 2015
RCCL Majesty OTS Bahamas 2015
Carnival Triumph W. Caribbean 2016
48 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Gifted a cruise to antartica! And I suppose I would have to bring some wet and cold weather gear but beings I'm in Iowa it's already out so it wouldn't take me long to pack at all!
I would leave behind the shorts and swim trunks cause they are packed up from the winter anyway, could definitely part with all electronics with the exception of a camera. My animals would be under control as I have family nearby to take care of them. Yes would definitely be ready to go in 24 hours as long as I could get a flight out of the HUGE DSM airport! LOL! Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
112 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
If the Cruise Gift Fairy visited us . . . it would be to Australia.

I would throw the Passports, last minute Airline Tickets (which would probably be through the roof), Hotel Confirmations and Limo Conf #'s in my purse and DH would pack the Tablet, cameras, phones and chargers.

After that, a few clothes and toiletries in the bag and meds in the carry-ons. We'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

Whatever we "forgot", we would purchase in AU. Not going to miss that trip. Been to OZ before and would NEVER miss out on that even if we left with the clothes on our backs.