Don't buy Invicta Watches - ripoff

If you are shopping on a RCI ship and are tempted at the Invicta watches always on sale at 70 percent or so off, don't bother. They aren't worth that.

First, what you pay is probably still more than what you would pay on Amazon for the Rolex wanna-be's. Secondly they are crap.

Bought mine two years ago on Enchantment. I was up a couple hundred on blackjack so treated myself. Only saving grace of this story is the feeling I really didn't pay anything since it was BJ winnings.

Six months later watch starts running very fast, gaining several hours each day. It took most of the rest of the year to actual get Invicta to respond to emails and phone calls to get the watch in for warranty. Finally connected and sent the watch in. Got an email that the warranty would be honored for the $29 service charge and I would get a new mechanism.

Nearly six months later I got the watch back. Then two weeks ago it started running slow - losing maybe 5 minutes a week. OK I'll reset it once a week.

Than tonight the second hand falls off. :mad:

Back to cheap watches from Walmart.

If you are shopping on a RCI ship and are tempted at the Invicta watches always on sale at 70 percent or so off, don't bother. They aren't worth that.

First, what you pay is probably still more than what you would pay on Amazon for the Rolex wanna-be's. Secondly they are crap.

Bought mine two years ago on Enchantment. I was up a couple hundred on blackjack so treated myself. Only saving grace of this story is the feeling I really didn't pay anything since it was BJ winnings.

Six months later watch starts running very fast, gaining several hours each day. It took most of the rest of the year to actual get Invicta to respond to emails and phone calls to get the watch in for warranty. Finally connected and sent the watch in. Got an email that the warranty would be honored for the $29 service charge and I would get a new mechanism.

Nearly six months later I got the watch back. Then two weeks ago it started running slow - losing maybe 5 minutes a week. OK I'll reset it once a week.

Than tonight the second hand falls off. :mad:

Back to cheap watches from Walmart.

Back during my Navy days we called watches like those "HeyJoe" watches and they were prevalent in Naples.

I've heard complaints about the Invicta watches bought onboard before. I seem to recall a similar problem actually (time running fast).

I bought a citizens watch for like $50 a few years ago to use up some OBC and it still works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone is entitled to spend their money as they choose but personally could never understand the allure of laying out big bucks for a watch when so many are out there that look good and do the job for a fraction of the cost the expensive brands .BTW I wear a Citizen that has keeps excellent time.

Problems happen with "real" watches, too. I got a Seiko as a graduation present. Within a year, there was moisture under the crystal. When it stopped and I had to get a battery change, they told me it leaked, so I sent it back to Seiko to have fixed. Got it back, it stopped within a year, and when it was opened up, they showed me the corrosion that stopped everything.

Seiko did nothing to it, even though I was told it would get a new set of seals all over the watch.

Still have it, and maybe someday I'll put the face into a new watch, but the watch was a piece of junk, and I'm sure cost more than a Invicta purchase price.

The internet is full of stories about Invicta's horrible customer service. All it takes to know they are a joke is the absurdly high "MSRP" prices that are always sold at "huge discounts".

Somehow they've hooked a lot of people who buy a lot of them. I guess huge shiny cheap watches have a following........

My wife buys those ten dollars watches on the ship and they seen to last forever, or until the next curise when she buys another one to go with her new outfit.

My wife won one of those $10 watches, but it only lasted 2 or 3 months.

Bought an Invicta on Royal a few years ago and have not had any problems. I love watches but do not spend a lot on them. The price of the Invicta I purchased was perfectly fair. I knew it was not a deep discount but I really liked it. I have also purchased several Citizen Eco Drives a Bulova and most recently a Breitling. The only ones that have cause any problems are two of the Citizens. After having them fora few years they just stopped running, regardless of the amount of light exposure they will run for maybe a couple of hours.

is 'anything' on a ship a deal..ever? i stick to the gift shop where i know a 20 dollar cush ball with the logo will have the letters falling off before i leave the ship.at least you know what you are getting there

i dont get the allure of 'any' sale shopping on a ship. it's a captive audience. how could it possibly be a deal.

My wife buys those ten dollars watches on the ship and they seen to last forever, or until the next curise when she buys another one to go with her new outfit.

Those $10 watches have worked out great for cruising. I keep it in my backpack so it's always available when traveling. This latest one which has lasted about 5 years now is huge and has been through some rigorous vacation wars. :D

My point here was not to invite a bunch of "how could you be so stupid to fall for that" kind of posts, but I guess some people can't resist.

My point was that I assumed that Invicta should be somewhat better than the $10 watches or the ones sold for 39.99 in the gift sets. So I was sharing my experience with the community.

I think all of us who cruise regularly are completely aware that any of the sales on ships are usually no where near as good as they would like you to think. But lacking internet (I never buy VROOM because I like being out of touch) I couldn't research it, and as I stated originally really only bought it because I was spending "free money".

So Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) when shopping while cruising, as apparently even buying the more name-brand Citizen watches can be hit or miss.

But enjoy your next cruise, as I well at the end of the July. Maybe I'll wait until then to get my next watch. ;p

We have several Invicta watches. I would not buy them on the ship because we paid 1/4 of the price through Amazon for the exact same watch. No major issues except when the band broke on one and when it hit the ground the watch fell apart.

Now, just because the price is low doesn't mean there isn't value. I bought a $9500.00 Brietling. It was the watch of my dreams. I wore it for only a couple hours and noticed that it was gaining 20 minutes every hour. So it was shipped to CT for repair. Got it back and it broke again, keeping time fast. Now I have it back again and it keeps time slow.

So price of a watch means absolutely nothing. If there is something wrong, there is something wrong. Just like buying a car.

We bought a Tag Heuer Carrera on a cruise for $3400. The $ rate at the time was $2.19 to the pound, so it was a bargain. Same watch in the U.K. was £3300, and quite rare. Keeps perfect time, much better than my Breitling which costs around $6000 and loses a minute a week.

is 'anything' on a ship a deal..ever? i stick to the gift shop where i know a 20 dollar cush ball with the logo will have the letters falling off before i leave the ship.at least you know what you are getting there

i dont get the allure of 'any' sale shopping on a ship. it's a captive audience. how could it possibly be a deal.

I had hoped that with the spread of fast internet on ships that prices would come down to competitive.

Daddy, what's a watch? Why do you need one when I have time (perfectly calibrated in every time zone in the world) on this phone I carry everywhere?

I tried that, but it looks weird to have a big smart phone strapped to my wrist.;)

"Need"? Nah but I like wearing watches.Thank goodness we're not restricted to buying only what we need amirite?

It depends on the types of items. We've seen good discounts off of designer brands on Princess ships running Asian itineraries.

Daddy, what's a watch? Why do you need one when I have time (perfectly calibrated in every time zone in the world) on this phone I carry everywhere?

Yeah I know, I just can't shake the watch habit. :D

Yeah I know, I just can't shake the watch habit. :D

I retired at the end of 2000 and do not recall wearing a watch since then. Although my wife does tire of, "What time is it, honey?"

But I do realize watches are important - a friend has a collection of over 200 so he can color coordinate with his clothes.