Gluten Free

Heading off on Liberty in a week. I know that I won't have trouble with being GF on the cruise b/c of the variety, but I wonder if any of y'all know if there is actual "GF" pasta, bread, desserts, pancakes, or any of that stuff on board that I can know about in advance. That is all! Thank you!

Heading off on Liberty in a week. I know that I won't have trouble with being GF on the cruise b/c of the variety, but I wonder if any of y'all know if there is actual "GF" pasta, bread, desserts, pancakes, or any of that stuff on board that I can know about in advance. That is all! Thank you!

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your dietary restrictions. They will put you in touch with the appropriate people on board the ship who can direct you. It's important to speak to the head chef in Windjammer who can point out exactly which selections are GF.

I've cruised Royal as GF for several years. This is my experience with specific GF items:

GF bread is always available. The type varies, but generally there is only one variety available each day. The Windjammer has a dedicated GF toaster and is the best place for GF toast in the morning. GF cookies are sometimes available, but not on all days. I have played the "cookie search game" on sea days, going from venue to venue in search of GF cookies. Many days there were no GF cookies to be had anywhere on the ship. On our most recent long cruise, the Windjammer manager ordered fresh cookies for me (dinner time) and delivered them to our table. (I hadn't asked him to do so. It was a generous surprise!)

But - back to the GF menu items - GF pancakes have never been available, nor GF crackers. Muffins are scarce. I have been able to order GF pasta in specialty dining venues, but it almost always arrives after others have been served.

I would encourage you to pack GF snacks if you have favorites you would enjoy during your cruise. Royal offers many GF options in other carbs, specifically rice and potatoes. Ethnic menu choices sometimes include Asian rice noodle dishes, sushi, corn tortilla tacos, and others.

I approach cruising as a good time to cut back on the GF carbs. This is what works for me.

We have never had a problem getting gluten free pancakes as long as it's ordered the night before. On our Oasis cruise in January they had two different GF breads available. The raisin bread was actually not awful. GF hamburger buns are available also. Cafe Promenade had pre-packaged Udi's cookies. They weren't on display. We had to ask.

I've cruised Royal as GF for several years. This is my experience with specific GF items:

GF bread is always available. The type varies, but generally there is only one variety available each day. The Windjammer has a dedicated GF toaster and is the best place for GF toast in the morning. GF cookies are sometimes available, but not on all days. I have played the "cookie search game" on sea days, going from venue to venue in search of GF cookies. Many days there were no GF cookies to be had anywhere on the ship. On our most recent long cruise, the Windjammer manager ordered fresh cookies for me (dinner time) and delivered them to our table. (I hadn't asked him to do so. It was a generous surprise!)

But - back to the GF menu items - GF pancakes have never been available, nor GF crackers. Muffins are scarce. I have been able to order GF pasta in specialty dining venues, but it almost always arrives after others have been served.

I would encourage you to pack GF snacks if you have favorites you would enjoy during your cruise. Royal offers many GF options in other carbs, specifically rice and potatoes. Ethnic menu choices sometimes include Asian rice noodle dishes, sushi, corn tortilla tacos, and others.

I approach cruising as a good time to cut back on the GF carbs. This is what works for me.

I rarely indulge in cookies or cakes, but I will definitely keep an eye out for them! It's vacation!

We have never had a problem getting gluten free pancakes as long as it's ordered the night before. On our Oasis cruise in January they had two different GF breads available. The raisin bread was actually not awful. GF hamburger buns are available also. Cafe Promenade had pre-packaged Udi's cookies. They weren't on display. We had to ask.

Good to know. We have not cruised the Oasis class ships. It does vary by ship and itinerary. (Although I do think the Udi's GF cookies taste a bit like sweet cardboard!)

Good to know. We have not cruised the Oasis class ships. It does vary by ship and itinerary. (Although I do think the Udi's GF cookies taste a bit like sweet cardboard!)

My biggest complaint is the lack of consistency across the fleet. Every ship has different GF items, some make more options available. Oasis had gf pancakes, ordered the night before. Serenade had several gf cakes. Anthem has a nice separate gf section in WJ. I don't like gf penne pasta, which most ships use instead of spaghetti. A head chef told me if I brought the spaghetti he would fix it for me, which I will do next cruise, as well as a few other items they don't have. It is essential to find the WJ manager and the head chef in the MDR, introduce yourself and ask for their help. The head waiters in the dining room, who will take your preorder meal, do not all know what can be prepared gf, as opposed to being naturally gf. I found being on a 12 day cruise was too hard to find a variety of gf food, got really tired of grilled chicken and steak and ice cream at every meal. I like the udis cookies, have to ask for them at promenade cafe.

I've spoken with home office and they are looking at a fleetwide standard gf menu, then ships could add to it if they wanted to offer more items. That would be great. Until then I will just have to accept that my food choices will not be as good as before gf diet became a necessity.

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your dietary restrictions. They will put you in touch with the appropriate people on board the ship who can direct you. It's important to speak to the head chef in Windjammer who can point out exactly which selections are GF.

Most importantly, please contact them at the above email ASAP. This is my response to a request to bring onboard UHT milk for my niece who is gluten sensitive and give her something to drink if she wasn’t eating properly:

“Thank you for your response and the below information.

We have received your notice regarding your food needs and will forward the information to the ship. By speaking with your head waiter in the dining room your needs will be communicated to the galley and an open line of communication will be established among everyone concerned.

Once on board please meet with one of the Restaurant Managers to review the menus and identify those items that need to be modified or avoided. They will be happy to assist you and will forward your concerns and needs to the galley. All items prepared for guests with food allergies are handled separate from the main food production. Please note that if you choose to go into the other restaurants other than the Main Dining Room please meet with the Manager for that particular restaurant to go over the food items with you regarding your food allergies before eating. Guests are allowed to bring on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also bring on their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not bring on board any potentially hazardous food items. (Items that require refrigeration, freezing, reheating, or storage by the galley). Kindly be advised that we do carry Lactose Free and Soy milk onboard our ships. Non-perishable milk is allowed onboard the ship. Items must be store bought sealed and not opened. We recommend bringing it as part of your carry-on.

It is also recommended that they refrain from eating in the buffet areas, as they are self serve and can not guarantee it will be free of cross contamination.”

Nick

Brunei

.... It is also recommended that they refrain from eating in the buffet areas, as they are self serve and can not guarantee it will be free of cross contamination. ..

Thanks for reporting back, I had not noticed this before.

I’m curious, when you order the night before do you have to tell them what time you want them for breakfast, or can you just show up and get them made fresh when you arrive? I have a 4 year old with Celiac who loves GF pancakes so I’m particularly interested in this for our upcoming cruise on Oasis.

Also, did you notice if GF waffles are available on Oasis?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I was on the Liberty last month on a b2b. Yes they have gf pasta, bread, and a few deserts you can enjoy. If you go in the Windjammer, find the chef and he’ll give you some udi’s cookies to keep in your stateroom. If you go down to sorrentos they’ll make you a gf pizza. It wS delicious and crispy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Liberty at dinner in the Windjammer they have a gluten free section. It has 4 rotating dishes - one meat (chicken, beef or pork), one fish, one potato and one vegetable. Next to it, is a smaller area with gluten free bread and desserts. I wasn't impressed with the desserts there, I preferred the naturally gf desserts like ice cream, jello, crustless custard and mousse. Other than that, I ate off the buffet and didn't suffer any cross contamination. Plain meats, plain veggies, rice, potatoes, corn, salads. Dishes that have sauces or gravies like the curries, you can ask if there's any gluten/wheat flour in it, they will let you know. You can pretty much tell what is out like cream soups, battered and fried meats, etc.

I didn't try it but they said they have GF pasta. One time when I wanted the meat sauce, I put it over steamed veggies.

For breakfast in the windjammer, I ate congee, stir fry veggies, eggs, bacon, sausage, carved ham, fruits, cheese, lunchmeat. There's grits and oatmeal. They've cut out the boxes of dry cereal this cruise and have only 4 selections in those containers where you pour your own, so no rice crispies, rice chex or capn crunch that I saw. I once requested gf pancakes which they brought out but I didn't think they were very good. I can make much better ones at home with Bisquick GF pancake mix. They have Canyon Bakehouse brand bread and will toast you a slice or 2 in a dedicated toaster.

In the dining room, let them know and they'll go out of their way to make sure what you get is GF.

Other areas of the Liberty:

Sorrentos has GF pizza, cheese only.

The cupcake place has GF cupcakes.

The Cafe Promenade has a separate station with Udi's chocolate chip and snickerdoodles GF cookies, GF sandwiches which were pretty good and GF desserts like jello.

I didn't cross-contaminate once, despite mostly eating in the Windjammer.

On Liberty at dinner in the Windjammer they have a gluten free section. It has 4 rotating dishes - one meat (chicken, beef or pork), one fish, one potato and one vegetable. Next to it, is a smaller area with gluten free bread and desserts. I wasn't impressed with the desserts there, I preferred the naturally gf desserts like ice cream, jello, crustless custard and mousse. Other than that, I ate off the buffet and didn't suffer any cross contamination. Plain meats, plain veggies, rice, potatoes, corn, salads. Dishes that have sauces or gravies like the curries, you can ask if there's any gluten/wheat flour in it, they will let you know. You can pretty much tell what is out like cream soups, battered and fried meats, etc.

I didn't try it but they said they have GF pasta. One time when I wanted the meat sauce, I put it over steamed veggies.

For breakfast in the windjammer, I ate congee, stir fry veggies, eggs, bacon, sausage, carved ham, fruits, cheese, lunchmeat. There's grits and oatmeal. They've cut out the boxes of dry cereal this cruise and have only 4 selections in those containers where you pour your own, so no rice crispies, rice chex or capn crunch that I saw. I once requested gf pancakes which they brought out but I didn't think they were very good. I can make much better ones at home with Bisquick GF pancake mix. They have Canyon Bakehouse brand bread and will toast you a slice or 2 in a dedicated toaster.

In the dining room, let them know and they'll go out of their way to make sure what you get is GF.

Other areas of the Liberty:

Sorrentos has GF pizza, cheese only.

The cupcake place has GF cupcakes.

The Cafe Promenade has a separate station with Udi's chocolate chip and snickerdoodles GF cookies, GF sandwiches which were pretty good and GF desserts like jello.

I didn't cross-contaminate once, despite mostly eating in the Windjammer.

I think that statement about cross contamination at the buffet (or any other F&B facility, on board/shore) is a blanket indemnity, instead of the MDR where it’s prepared and plated directly for (and sent to) you.

Nick

Brunei

I’m curious, when you order the night before do you have to tell them what time you want them for breakfast, or can you just show up and get them made fresh when you arrive? I have a 4 year old with Celiac who loves GF pancakes so I’m particularly interested in this for our upcoming cruise on Oasis.

Also, did you notice if GF waffles are available on Oasis?

Thanks in advance for any input!

You don’t have to tell them what time, just tell your server you have a special order. Also tell them you want everything to come out at the same time or else the GF meal will be the last to arrive. They couldn’t do gf waffles but they could do pancakes, chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes and french toast.

On oasis last month and Freedom in January 2017 Sorrento’s would add any gf topping you wanted. My daughter prefers pepperoni. She’s the one with Celiac Disease.

I am not celiac however I typically eat GF at home because it cuts down the number of migraines I suffer. Onboard I will splurge for some deserts and the occasional french toast (just like I splurge for the occasional treat at home). Do I need to contact them in advance or can I just take advantage of the GF section and order food that is GF. I don't want anyone to question why I will be eating not completely GF. I will also bring medication to treat migraine symptoms as they come on, and GF snacks.

You don’t have to tell them what time, just tell your server you have a special order. Also tell them you want everything to come out at the same time or else the GF meal will be the last to arrive. They couldn’t do gf waffles but they could do pancakes, chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes and french toast.

On oasis last month and Freedom in January 2017 Sorrento’s would add any gf topping you wanted. My daughter prefers pepperoni. She’s the one with Celiac Disease.

Excellent-thank you for the info!

Hi there! I have been gluten free for almost 10 years and was cruising when gluten free was very uncommon. These days, it is very easy and you should have no problem! Everything is labelled as gluten free in the buffet areas and on the menus when you order in a sit down restaurant. There is gluten free bread everywhere, even if you don't see it - just ask. Sometimes it can take awhile to get so be sure to ask first thing when you sit down or especially in the buffet area. They also have special toasters just for gluten free breads/rolls as well. You can also note that you are gluten free when you sign in online under the special requests tab.

Hope this helps! Happy cruising :)

Amanda

About to head out on the Enchantment tomorrow. Did Liberty last March.

Even though I notified special needs and got the canned email, the head person at the MDR was surprised when I stopped by on Embarkation day and said everything will be fine. It wasn't that night; I ate pretty much a salad and berries (am also vegetarian). At lunch at WJ, the only things they could pull me from the back (fresh from X-contamination) was iceberg lettuce with olive oil and red wine vinegar and 2 ears of corn, and fresh fruit salad. However, after that, things did get better. I would order breakfast (GF pancakes), lunch (in the MDR if sea day, or for personal table delivery in WJ if port day) and dinner at dinner the previous night. Last March, there was NOT a GF section or GF toaster in WJ, and I somehow only got GF bread 2 out of 7 nights for dinner. I will say Sorrento's was assume and I ate a lot of pizza there. Day 2 I asked Cafe Promanade folks about the GF cookies. Person 1 didn't know, but I asked them to ask their co-worker, who went down to the bowels of the ship, and emerged with a ton of pre-wrapped Udi's cookies. She game me a few then to keep in my cooler, and the then the cafe had them everyday after.

It is definitely a crap shoot, and you have to be persistent, but I didn't get glutened/sick once in a week, nor did I go hungry, so it was a win for me.

We're on Adventure now and there is no gluten free section in the WJ. My DIL asked and they told her that they could do a gf pizza for her and the kids and she did ask for gf toast and they made some. Going to try for pancakes in the morning. No one has Celiac, so not super senstive but they do have issues. I thought since some of the RC ships have a gf section that all would. It would make it much easier for those that need it.

I think that statement about cross contamination at the buffet (or any other F&B facility, on board/shore) is a blanket indemnity, instead of the MDR where it’s prepared and plated directly for (and sent to) you.

Nick

Brunei

I've only been eating GF about 6 months even tho I've suspected I've had a food allergy for years.

I am still figuring out my tolerances and where and what I can and cannot eat. At this point I'm not going to be timid about possible cross-contamination until I find out that no, I cannot eat here or this because it absolutely will give me a reaction.

I ate all week at the Windjammer and I was fine. I was careful. And yes, I could have been careful and still gotten sick but that did not happen. I suspect it's possible to cross-contaminate from the MDR galley as well, just not as likely.

I don't know other people's tolerances. I was just letting them know my experience.

Does anyone know for sure about the hot oatmeal being gluten free? I had chefs on both Adventure and Oasis tell me it is not. I’d love to find out otherwise!! My favorite breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oatmeal usually isn't gluten free unless it's grown specifically for that purpose. It gets cross contaminated from gluten containing crops that are rotated on the same soil.