Next Carnival ship?

loujerb

The Excellence class or "XL" ships will be 183,200 Gross Tons. Costa Smeralda and AIDAnova are also members of the Excellence class.

When Horizon's dining room names were announced by John Heald, someone commented that those were the names of the future ships. John Heald replied simply with a smiley emoticon.

Horizon's dining rooms will be named Reflection and Meridian per John Heald.

Given that there's a model of the "Carnival Reflection" that matches the design of AIDAnova and Costa Smeralda that was photographed in January, Vista 3 appears to be the Carnival Meridian. You can view the picture of Carnival Reflection here:

The Excellence class or "XL" ships will be 183,200 Gross Tons. Costa Smeralda and AIDAnova are also members of the Excellence class.

When Horizon's dining room names were announced by John Heald, someone commented that those were the names of the future ships. John Heald replied simply with a smiley emoticon.

Horizon's dining rooms will be named Reflection and Meridian per John Heald.

Given that there's a model of the "Carnival Reflection" that matches the design of AIDAnova and Costa Smeralda that was photographed in January, Vista 3 appears to be the Carnival Meridian. You can view the picture of Carnival Reflection here:

Wow, great information, thanks.

Why the constant striving for bigger and more crowded? Surely I'm not the only one that doesn't like spending notable portions of my vacation standing in queues waiting for food or to get into shows/clubs on board.

I wish they would build some new, modern ships in the same size/capacity as the Fantasy class. Those don't seem nearly as crowded.

But then they would add more cabins, just like they did on the Elation. A new build they would add even more.

And that's why all the cruise lines are in this war of who can build the biggest ship. The bigger the ship, the more cabins they can sell, and the more crowded they all get.

They cater to the "it's too crowded" people a bit with things like the Havana section where it's restricted to only people in those cabins for most of the time so it doesn't get as crowded, but that's just one part of the ship, and they're charging you extra to have the privilege of that one less crowded section. What I'm talking about is where the whole ship is smaller, and thus has fewer cabins. Everything is less crowded.

I don't want to derail this thread about the new big ships too much, but I will add that the smaller Fantasy class ships certainly make Carnival a lot of money. They have a lot of them (8 or 9 which is a full third of Carnival's fleet). If they didn't make money, they'd get rid of them, but instead, they are refurbishing them and keeping them in service, which is great, but still isn't like a brand new ship design in that same size/capacity range.

Back on topic, I wonder what sort of new attractions they'll add to these new XL ships.