Pride of America Review (6/3/17-6/10/17)

saraandnick

I have learned so much information from this site & others that I thought someone might benefit from this review.

Our group: me (41), husband (43), daughter (11), FIL (72) & MIL (62).

Before the cruise we stayed one night at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. I booked it through Priceline. I booked it because it had free breakfast (pretty good), good location & free wifi (important to MIL). I splurged and booked limos from the airport to the hotel as a surprise for everybody. I booked through ABC Limo and it was very reasonable especially considering price of taxis and shuttle pp charge. We walked around Waikiki on Friday after we arrived, ate at Duke's and later went to the Diamond Head Luau. We all enjoyed the Luau. It is at the aquarium so the ticket includes aquarium admission. The next day all of us hiked Diamond Head. My daughter actually did it twice, well the steep part three times (she was ahead of us so we made her go up again for family photos and then her grandparents decided to hike it after all so she hiked it with them while husband and I drank water in the shade!)

We stayed in Aft balcony rooms 9200 & 9202. Second time with aft balcony and we love it. We watched the lava flow and the cruise up the Napali coast right from our balcony. Room for the three of us was small especially when couch bed was made for daughter. No space at all between bed & drawers. Could not open drawers and had to climb on bed to get out to balcony. Obviously we made it work but it was tight. We loved all of the drawers throughout the cabin to store our clothes. All three suitcases fit under the bed.

The food was really good. We ate at the Liberty the first night. Service was really, really slow. We are patient people but that was crazy slow. It seemed to be with just our section of the dining room. Food was great but we didn't go back. Sad we missed the Welcome Aboard Show. We ate at East Meets West one night (made reservations first day on the ship). Food was served family style which was great so we could try a little of everything. We definitely enjoyed our dinner there. My husband & I celebrated our 20th anniversary on the ship so for our special dinner we went to Moderno, the Brazilian steakhouse. I made the reservations online ahead of time. It was fun & the foods were cooked fabulously. We were pleasantly surprised by the robust salad bar. We also celebrated my MIL's birthday on the ship so I made reservations ahead of time at La Cuchina. We all enjoyed our meal there and for me, this was my favorite meal. We also ate at the Cadillac Diner. We loved the atmosphere and some of the food was good and others missed the mark. Tomato soup was great as was the hamburger but the shakes (extra cost) had no flavor and the loaded fries were awful. The other nights we are at the buffet because we got back on the ship late.

Here is my only real issue with the food: on the overnight stops at Maui & Kauai many people get back on the ship late and are exhausted so the only real option is the buffet but the buffet closes at 9 but for a very small selection. Other cruise lines have more selections at night and I wish this ship did as well.

Ports: we used every bit of port time possible & loved every minute. Maui: 3 of us rented a jeep on the first day and drive the road to Hana. Car rental shuttles pulled up right outside the cruise terminal & took us to the airport for car rental. I booked cars (in each port) ahead of time through Hawaii discount car rental. I downloaded the Shaka App and we all loved it. The app is free to download and then it costs approx $5 for each actual tour. The guide is funny, knowledgeable and tells you what to stop at and what to pass by. We had a great time & highly recommend this app. The highlight for us was a nearly private waterfall that we all swam in. We returned the car and took the car rental shuttle back to ship. MIL & FIL also did the road to Hana but as a tour with the ship. They really enjoyed it even when the tour bus broke down. The driver sang & played his ukulele for them while waiting for the tow & replacement bus.

Maui 2nd day: rented a standard sedan for the 5 of us. Only issue was the shuttles started arriving at 8 or so and we had to be off the ship before then so hubby & I taxi'd to the car rental office and drove back to get other three. My daughter and I took surfing lesson with Hang Loose in Lahaina. I bought a groupon ahead of time for the lessons. This was our second lesson & we had a lot of fun. We both caught some waves. Afterward I bought pictures of us surfing. We walked around Lahaina and played at the beach in Kaanapali. We ate at Duke's (yum! I highly recommend the fish tacos) and had shaved ice. We returned the rental car and took the shuttle back to the port.

b84ddbe42c96763bc9e5ff5a1ed2761c.jpg

Hilo: all 5 of us booked a bike tour through bikevolcano.com. The tour guides Pretty & Mike picked us at the port along with another couple of groups. We picked up a couple more groups that were staying elsewhere on the island and drive to the national park. They fitted us with bikes & helmets and off we went. 15 miles total. Some decent hills. MIL made it 6 miles and then hopped a ride with Pretty in the van that followed behind us. Hills got the best of MIL because she couldn't master the gears. A fellow rider clocked us at 37 mph on the downhill. I was concerned about my 11 yr old but she was first, right behind the guide. We all had a great time (even MIL) because the guides were friendly, knowledgeable, lunch was good (included) and the park was neat.

Kona: MIL & FIL did a tour that took them around the whole island. It was a tour not through the ship but I don't remember the name. They liked it okay. The three of us rented a black convertible Camero (20th anniversary, remember [emoji12]) and had a beach day. We ate at Christine's Deli (off the beaten path) and it was fabulous. We snorkeled at Kahalu'u Beach. Good snorkeling and it was free to go there. You can rent snorkeling gear there or use your own. After lunch we went to a beach on the same side of road as Kahalu'u Beach but before it (don't know the name). Large dirt parking lot across the road. It was beautiful and we saw several turtles. We walked around the shops in downtown Kona afterward. It was one of our favorite days. We rented the car from Hertz located inside of King Kam Courtyard Marriott which is next to the ship. A little higher prices but so convenient.

989285f269570e291c6dce9925708166.jpg

Kauai day 1: rented SUV for both days from the airport. We used the Shaka app for Waimea Canyon and again loved it. The Canyon was beautiful and in our opinions better than the Grand Canyon. Around 12:30 we drove back to the town of Waimea and had lunch at a fabulous taco place. Don't remember the name but you can't miss it since it is on the Main Street. Afterward we met up with our next excursion guide. I booked us with the Napali Experience. The boats hold max of 6 people (not counting the guide) so we had a boat to ourselves. We met up with Danny in Waimea and the boat tour of the Napali Coast lasted 5 hours. It was long especially after exploring Waimea earlier in the day but we had a great time. I chose the 2-7 pm tour because it fit with the ship's schedule and because the chance of seeing sea turtles & dolphins were high. We snorkeled with sea turtles, watched hundreds of spinner dolphins play right by our boat and explored sea caves.

1a3fba58f6d551f7daf0988ee83df1e2.jpg

We parked the car at the shopping center near the port (Anchor shopping center, I think it was called) for $20. There was street parking but it was all taken by the time we got back. There is a security guard in the parking lot that takes the $ and gives the passes. There is shuttle for the shopping center that gives a ride to and from the ship but we just walked because it's a quick walk.

Kauai day 2: walked to lot to get the car and drove to the north side of the island. We saw the lighthouse, cute towns, beautiful countryside and lots of fruit/farm stands. Tons of traffic back into town and cut it pretty close getting the car returned and shuttle back to ship.

Only show husband & I went to was the Best Couples Competition in the Mardi Gras lounge. We were one of three couples that competed but we lost. It was not a quiz show but instead we had to do funny tasks together like start with an orange between us at stomach level and get it to our mouths without using hands. It was fun & tough. We lost but still think we are pretty great! Our daughter and in-laws went to magician/variety show and theatre type show. Ok quality. Shows were not big on our agendas since we had full days we were all in bed fairly early.

After the cruise we got a rental car and did Pearl Harbor and then drove to the north shore where we rented a house for 5 nights. On the north shore my daughter and her grandpa ziplined (way out of his comfort zone!) with Climbworks; hubby, daughter & I went into a cage in the ocean to be close with sharks through North Shore Shark Adventures (we loved that experience!); and lots of eating & beach time. There are phenomenal restaurants here, including: ted's bakery, The Elephant Truck (Thai food) & North Shore Taco Food Truck.

We had a great time & created many memories that will last forever.

fd107b6bad31f598c5c37faf9691b901.jpg

1bd83e7e376464718f510ffde0f8bdb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you had a good experience. We were on the same cruise and loved Moderno, but hated La Cucina. Our service was terrible and the food had no taste. I'll post my review in a day or two.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds lime you had a marvelous time. Doing this cruise July 1st, so I was glad to read your review.

Was there a wait at Cadillac Diner?

No wait at Cadillac Diner. Have a great time!

Great review. I sail in about 2 weeks. I hope the food is better for my cruise. How were the ship's staff? There have been mixed reviews on their courteousness.

The staff was great with the exception of a couple of wait staff that weren't particularly good at their jobs but that can be found everywhere.

Glad you had a good experience. We were on the same cruise and loved Moderno, but hated La Cucina. Our service was terrible and the food had no taste. I'll post my review in a day or two.

That's so funny! We loved the staff at La Cucina and we thought that flavor was great!

We are leaving today for the same cruise. A million thank yous for your review. We have about the same schedule before and after and same age people.

So thrilled to read this!!!

Norwegian Pride of America

June 2017

Room #?

Hawaii

Norwegian Jade March 2016

Room #11602

Western Caribbean (Honduras, Belize, Cozumel)

Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas July '15

Room #3544

Alaska - Sawyer Glacier

Disney Magic November '13

Room #2143

5-Night Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Castaway Cay)

Thanks so much for the review. Did you hike Diamond Head on Saturday before you got on board the POA?

If so, how long did the hike take you? We will only have time that day.

Thank you! We did hike Diamond Head Saturday before boarding the ship. The hike didn't take long, probably an hour or so. My husband's parents did hike as well and they are not in good shape. It probably took them closer to 2 hrs. Go early because it gets hot. We wanted to back in time to shower before our noon hotel checkout time. We got back in plenty of time. I think we got to Diamond Head around 7:30 or 8.

Have fun & enjoy!

Thank you for the review! We are on this cruise in 2 years, just booked it yesterday. Got one of the aft large balconies right above your rooms! Did your girls do kids club at all? It is so port intensive, I was wondering if it is utilized at night at all?

Thank you for the review! We are on this cruise in 2 years, just booked it yesterday. Got one of the aft large balconies right above your rooms! Did your girls do kids club at all? It is so port intensive, I was wondering if it is utilized at night at all?

Our daughter did not utilize the kids' club at all. On past cruises she has but not this one. Since my in-laws were with us she hung out with them the night of our anniversary and one night when we went to a show. The rest of the nights we were exhausted or getting back late from the day. Have fun planning your trip!

My husband and myself are doing the Hawaiian Island cruise on POA in August 2018. Am enjoying reading all the reviews as I have no idea what to do on any of the Islands. I am thinking of doing a helicopter ride but don't know which Island would be the best and most picturesque.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and myself are doing the Hawaiian Island cruise on POA in August 2018. Am enjoying reading all the reviews as I have no idea what to do on any of the Islands. I am thinking of doing a helicopter ride but don't know which Island would be the best and most picturesque.

I definitely think Kauai is the best island to do a helicopter tour. There are areas to see that only a helicopter can access. We did one with Jack Harter in December, and it was amazing - pricey, but amazing!!

I definitely think Kauai is the best island to do a helicopter tour. There are areas to see that only a helicopter can access. We did one with Jack Harter in December, and it was amazing - pricey, but amazing!!

Thank you. Do I google his name or does he have a business name?

I definitely think Kauai is the best island to do a helicopter tour.

Definitely agree that Kauai is the most gorgeous of all and the actual views are amazing yet you can't go wrong with a helicopter tour on the Hawaiians island...With Maui you can save your time by not being in a car all day to see the islands highlights...Hilo was the lowlight of the cruise, I did Mary's Lou's which was awesome but if I could do it all over again I would have done the helicopter tour there because you would both get to see an active volcano and lava...In fact, this one includes a hike to lava https://www.costco.com/Paradise-Helicopters%3a-Volcano-Helicopter-%2526-Lava-Hike-Adventure-Tour-eVoucher-Hilo%2c-Hawaii.product.100347131.html

Then from Kauai there's a Molokai island tour, for my cruise due to a hurricane Kona was scratched in favor of a sea day but we went by the Molokai high cliffs (tallest on the planet), it was absolutely breathtaking but most will never get to see them on this cruise...So again can't make a bad choice... :D

Definitely agree that Kauai is the most gorgeous of all and the actual views are amazing yet you can't go wrong with a helicopter tour on the Hawaiians island...With Maui you can save your time by not being in a car all day to see the islands highlights...Hilo was the lowlight of the cruise, I did Mary's Lou's which was awesome but if I could do it all over again I would have done the helicopter tour there because you would both get to see an active volcano and lava...In fact, this one includes a hike to lava https://www.costco.com/Paradise-Helicopters%3a-Volcano-Helicopter-%2526-Lava-Hike-Adventure-Tour-eVoucher-Hilo%2c-Hawaii.product.100347131.html

Then from Kauai there's a Molokai island tour, for my cruise due to a hurricane Kona was scratched in favor of a sea day but we went by the Molokai high cliffs (tallest on the planet), it was absolutely breathtaking but most will never get to see them on this cruise...So again can't make a bad choice... :D

Thank you. The volcano sounds awesome but unfortunately my husband has bad knees so the hike would be out of the question.