Minimalism when packing for a cruise

I gravitate to threads about packing because I'm doing a 49 day South American cruise in February it will be going from hot to cold to hot. How to pack, what to pack, and how much. Travel size items just won't do.

Ramona

Actually, you've got plenty of time to figure out how much personal care product to pack. Buy a set of 1 or 2 oz travel bottles, fill with your favorite shampoo, conditioner, and skincare. You can do the same for cosmetics which can be decanted or come in a travel size. Note which day you start to use each item and which day you ran out. You now know how much product you use over a specific amount of days. I think you'll find that you may use less product that you'd expect. If one 1/2/3 oz bottle of something isn't enough and it is hard to get but you must have, bring two of it. For the items which you must have more than 5-6 oz, think about transitioning to a solid version of that item, picking it up locally, or simply doing without.

Shampoo, conditioner, cleansers - it is less expensive to refill empty travel bottles (you can re-use hotel toiletry bottles) than to buy the prepackaged travel versions. I only buy the travel size if I want specific packaging like smaller skincare items, wipes, sterile, or squeeze tubes of lotion & toothpaste. If you wear contacts, you may be able to bring disposables or pack larger bottle of solution as long as you tell the TSA when screening that it is medically necessary https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/contact-lenses Or pack as many bottles as you need and pick up easier to acquire items locally. Toothpaste flavor may be a bit different but still works, unless you need a specific formulation/flavor.

Solids can go in a different pouch than 3-1-1 with liquids & gels.

You can check the excess if you really do require more liquids than fit in a 3-1-1. Double bag it in ziplock, put in a shoebox or large disposable food container if there's glass, surround with some spare packing materials/clothing, tape shut, place in lightweight duffel bag and gasp, check it! Most people can scale down their toiletries to fit into a 3-1-1 for < 7 weeks but some people are exponentially happier with a little bit more and don't mind waiting at the airport to pick up their bag. You can re-pack it into your carry-on at the airport upon arrival if you need to consolidate bags... Just be sure to leave enough room.

As for the hot to cold to hot, bring layers and pack a compressible puffy coat. My favorite would be down and Uniqlo.com offers up a few versions of packable down coats in the fall, as does 32Degrees sold at Costco. Warm Hat and gloves won't take up too much space. Put them in a space/compression bag if you really need to though I usually just wear my coat on the plane and other fluffy items go on the bottom/under other weightier items so it compresses down, instead of having to pack around a compressed football sized lump.

• Like 2

Actually, you've got plenty of time to figure out how much personal care product to pack. Buy a set of 1 or 2 oz travel bottles, fill with your favorite shampoo, conditioner, and skincare. You can do the same for cosmetics which can be decanted or come in a travel size. Note which day you start to use each item and which day you ran out. You now know how much product you use over a specific amount of days. I think you'll find that you may use less product that you'd expect. If one 1/2/3 oz bottle of something isn't enough and it is hard to get but you must have, bring two of it. For the items which you must have more than 5-6 oz, think about transitioning to a solid version of that item, picking it up locally, or simply doing without.

Shampoo, conditioner, cleansers - it is less expensive to refill empty travel bottles (you can re-use hotel toiletry bottles) than to buy the prepackaged travel versions. I only buy the travel size if I want specific packaging like smaller skincare items, wipes, sterile, or squeeze tubes of lotion & toothpaste. If you wear contacts, you may be able to bring disposables or pack larger bottle of solution as long as you tell the TSA when screening that it is medically necessary https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/contact-lenses Or pack as many bottles as you need and pick up easier to acquire items locally. Toothpaste flavor may be a bit different but still works, unless you need a specific formulation/flavor.

Solids can go in a different pouch than 3-1-1 with liquids & gels.

You can check the excess if you really do require more liquids than fit in a 3-1-1. Double bag it in ziplock, put in a shoebox or large disposable food container if there's glass, surround with some spare packing materials/clothing, tape shut, place in lightweight duffel bag and gasp, check it! Most people can scale down their toiletries to fit into a 3-1-1 for < 7 weeks but some people are exponentially happier with a little bit more and don't mind waiting at the airport to pick up their bag. You can re-pack it into your carry-on at the airport upon arrival if you need to consolidate bags... Just be sure to leave enough room.

As for the hot to cold to hot, bring layers and pack a compressible puffy coat. My favorite would be down and Uniqlo.com offers up a few versions of packable down coats in the fall, as does 32Degrees sold at Costco. Warm Hat and gloves won't take up too much space. Put them in a space/compression bag if you really need to though I usually just wear my coat on the plane and other fluffy items go on the bottom/under other weightier items so it compresses down, instead of having to pack around a compressed football sized lump.

Thank you for this detail and considerate post. One of the personal care products I use is for my skin, Shea Moisture Baby Eczema which comes in a six oz jar/container. It is raw with Chamomile, Frankincense and Myrrh (Shea Butter doesn't smell very good when raw). I already melt some of it down and place it in empty clean pill bottles but I never thought of recording when I first begin using it as I carry it in my backpack or pocketbook to use on the go. Soo, I melt some down to use after my showers and see how long one pill bottle last. Thanks for that.

I just purchased one of those light down jackets made by North Face from REI as well as insulated hiking boots that are unbelievable light in weight and feel like bedroom slippers. I plan to wear them when I leave for my flight (JFK to FLL - Fort Lauderdale) as I have a Feb 2019 departure.

This is what I'm thinking about. I'm retired but from when I retired to now I've become an exercise instructor for groups and I've also lost 65 pounds so my Business Attire is, well workout clothes. All my business suits, dresses, skirts are way to big and I don't want to buy things just for this cruise which I won't wear unless I'm on a cruise seems like a waste of money. I'm thinking of getting some beach cover-ups, maybe three four and pair them with my workout pants as I feel the most comfortable in my pants.

I know I have time but I've stopped thinking of, "What do I wear..." since I stopped doing my big people job. Thinking of looking in some of the dollar and Lot Less Stores and see what they have from now until departure. Two weeks worth of clothes and just launder and wear again ...

Again, thank you so much for your help and suggestions that were right in front of me but I never thought about.

Ramona

• Like 1

One thing--I change clothes A LOT on a cruise. Since they aren't worn much, you can wear them again.

I pack 3 tees & 2 shorts--those are for breakfast, walking around casual ports.

1 swimsuit & 1 cover up is enough for me--if it is damp, sun will dry it quick.

I pack several nicer tops & capris for wandering around the ship in the afternoons & on port.

I bring a couple pair of nice black capris & several nice tops for dinner.

Hardest part for me is shoes...love me my shoes!

BUT we have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise with just a backpack & carry on suitcase each. We had a tight connection that I was worried about our luggage making it; decided it wasn't worth the worry. We even did formal nights (DH just brings dress shirt & pants; we have a neat shirt folder/holder for dress shirts so they don't wrinkle)

IT CAN BE DONE--and it is freeing!

• Like 1

One thing--I change clothes A LOT on a cruise. Since they aren't worn much, you can wear them again.

I pack 3 tees & 2 shorts--those are for breakfast, walking around casual ports.

1 swimsuit & 1 cover up is enough for me--if it is damp, sun will dry it quick.

I pack several nicer tops & capris for wandering around the ship in the afternoons & on port.

I bring a couple pair of nice black capris & several nice tops for dinner.

Hardest part for me is shoes...love me my shoes!

BUT we have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise with just a backpack & carry on suitcase each. We had a tight connection that I was worried about our luggage making it; decided it wasn't worth the worry. We even did formal nights (DH just brings dress shirt & pants; we have a neat shirt folder/holder for dress shirts so they don't wrinkle)

IT CAN BE DONE--and it is freeing!

Thanks for your input. I'm saving all this good suggestions on my computer.

Ramona

• 3 months later...

We often travel for extended periods of two to three months. This travel cam include a cruise, sometimes purchased a few weeks or less before embarkation date.

We switched to carry only when we retired. For us it translates into a 20" roller that weights about 8KG, sometimes 9 (20lbs or so). It was a challenge at first but it has greatly increased our travel enjoyment. Not for everyone, but for us it is perfect. Our requirement was to pack only what we could each easily handle physically. Whether it be dragging along cobblestones, carrying up a few flights of stairs, or lifting on to a train or into a rental car.

Every time we return from a trip we note, as we unpack, any items that we did not use or did not use enough to warrant bring along. As well as anything we wished we had brought. For us, the secret has been dressing in layers and greatly restricting the number and weight of shoes and personal care items.

• Like 1