Silver Discoverer Dive Equipment

debbsy

Hi, my family and i shall be going on SS Discoverer in October this year around the Seychelles. Does anyone know if you have to be an Advanced diver or is Open Water ok? Also do you have to take any of your own equipment or is this supplied by the onboard dive center?

I would really appreciate any help you can give. Cant wait for my first expedition cruise.

Ive not been on one, but I can only imagine Open water would be fine or they wouldn't get too many divers and I'd think all equipment would be supplied though not a problem if you wanted to use your own. Ive certainly never dived anywhere that I needed to bring my own gear, though I do tend to bring a wetsuit. I wouldn't if I was planning to dive with SS.

One thing they will insist on (Id think) is your log book being up to date and a dive registered in the last 12 months. On our trip last year, I was planning on diving in Grand Turk, but it had been 3 years since my previous so would have needed a refresher. (And open water was all that they required On that note, that gives me plenty of time to get sorted for April 2019!

Dont take any chances though, give SS or your TA a call to be 100% sure. (I see on the site you can hire wet suits... which is a surprise as I was certain that would be included!)

Edited by les37b

We've dived twice on the Discoverer. Steve Tremain is normally the dive master.

Unless their policies have changed, you MUST PRE-REGISTER with SS to dive. There are other requirements on the web site but they include your dive card and diving log, proof of dive insurance (normally from DAN) possibly a list of the medications you are taking.

As for equipment, my recollection is that they supply masks, fins, snorkels, and tanks and weights. It's up to the diver to bring the BCD and regulator package as well as skins or wet suit.

• 4 months later...
We've dived twice on the Discoverer. Steve Tremain is normally the dive master.

Unless their policies have changed, you MUST PRE-REGISTER with SS to dive. There are other requirements on the web site but they include your dive card and diving log, proof of dive insurance (normally from DAN) possibly a list of the medications you are taking.

As for equipment, my recollection is that they supply masks, fins, snorkels, and tanks and weights. It's up to the diver to bring the BCD and regulator package as well as skins or wet suit.

Me and my friends will be on the same voyage as yours. Just found out with SS that they will not be offering any DM and diving equipment on board! Just a disappointment that we can't dive into the blue Seychelles sea :(

They usually (always?) offer dives in warm areas. is this another penny pinching downmarket exercise?

What next : paddle your own inflatable?

Or maybe everyone will need to put a penny in the slot…

My SS cynicism knows no boundaries these days