Olympus TG-5 Underwater settings

vicd1969

I brought my new Olympus TG-5 with me to the Galapagos, but was less-than-satisfied about how most of my snorkeling photos turned out. My sister's tiny GoPro Session consistently had better video as well. While the water visibility isn't the usual clear-Caribbean level, I believe my settings weren't optimized as they can be. Could anyone provide advice on what settings and mode to use for snorkeling photos and video? I used the underwater, wide-angle mode with usually +0.7 or +1.0 exposure. Thank you in advance for your replies.

I've found that the normal underwater settings have the flash on, for some strange reason. You can shut the flash off, but when you turn the camera off and back on, you have to turn the flash off again. So---I created a custom setting with the underwater setting and the flash off. Now I just have to remember to put it on the custom setting instead of the underwater setting.

As for not taking really clear pictures in not so clear water, I find that common with all the underwater cameras I've had, but the Olympus ones do seem to have a better preview and review screen. Some of the others I were so dark I couldn't tell what I was taking a picture of, or took a picture of.

I also do a little photo editing to practically all my pictures. Usually that clears up the "muddiness" right away.

• 3 weeks later...
I brought my new Olympus TG-5 with me to the Galapagos, but was less-than-satisfied about how most of my snorkeling photos turned out. My sister's tiny GoPro Session consistently had better video as well. While the water visibility isn't the usual clear-Caribbean level, I believe my settings weren't optimized as they can be. Could anyone provide advice on what settings and mode to use for snorkeling photos and video? I used the underwater, wide-angle mode with usually +0.7 or +1.0 exposure. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Filters really help! I always use one for my GP, the difference in color can be night and day. https://www.housingcamera.com/id185-fantasea-5178.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk0UHeTrkKxIwjrhoA_1t79A1dnCg1hPbMi7AfN3F3NS6nuQtDsAVBcaAkliEALw_wcB

Here's a link that explains filter yes, its for a GP but it goes across the board

• 4 months later...

Did you use an underwater housing for your TG-5 camera?

I've found that the normal underwater settings have the flash on, for some strange reason. You can shut the flash off, but when you turn the camera off and back on, you have to turn the flash off again. So---I created a custom setting with the underwater setting and the flash off. Now I just have to remember to put it on the custom setting instead of the underwater setting.

That's good to know. Alternatively, the white balance can be set to underwater in other modes, like Program and Aperture Priority.

• 5 weeks later...
Filters really help! I always use one for my GP, the difference in color can be night and day. https://www.housingcamera.com/id185-fantasea-5178.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk0UHeTrkKxIwjrhoA_1t79A1dnCg1hPbMi7AfN3F3NS6nuQtDsAVBcaAkliEALw_wcB

Here's a link that explains filter yes, its for a GP but it goes across the board

Great tip on the filter. I wondered why all my snorkeling videos were too blue. Will try the filter in Maui in September.

Sent from my iPad using Forums