Johnny Rockets now $5.95?

On the Majesty, Allure and Liberty, they use frozen patties. This was verified with the cooks at JRs (they showed me the box), and the food manager on Liberty. There is no way that they would use fresh meat on a ship because ground meat does not have that long a shelf life. In fact on the Liberty the food manager told me that every piece of meat is frozen simply because they cannot keep the food in a fresh state for a whole cruise. And what if there is food left over after the 7 days cruise? It would have to be thrown away because it most certainly cannot be used 14 days later. After 7 days the meat would be brown and inedible.

Next time ask the cooks there whether the meat is fresh or frozen. That is what I did.

Ummmm....i'll ask. My family has been in the chicken/beef/fish industry for decades. Chicken is perishable in the least amount of time, followed by fish.

Beef can last for awhile. The finer restaurants serve beef aged for weeks.

Does JR serve aged beef burgers? Doubtful. But if they bring beef on board every week, chances are it's fresh.

I'm not thrilled about the $5.95 charge but I will pay it because we very much enjoy having lunch at JR. We enjoy the fun atmosphere and the food tastes great! We eat very healthy and it never hurts to indulge once in while. In the scheme of things this trip was $5,000 so what's a few more?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We might visit there if we have $10 in cruise credit to burn. On the other hand, we may purchase a glass of wine instead.

It's all about what's important to the consumer. I wouldn't pay a damn nickel for a glass of wine. I don't care for wine so it's not important to me. I would rather pay a few bucks for a decent burger than for a glass of fermented grape juice. To each their own.....

On the topic of burgers, I'd rather have either Freddy's, Steak N Shake, Five Guys, or smashburger, but it's not like we have a choice.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

No, shakes are not free. I forget the charge for shakes, but I imagine it's around $4. I was describing how you can get a shake without also having to pay a cover charge for the food.

Shakes were $5.10 on my cruise this month incl gratuity

TanInAus

It's all about what's important to the consumer. I wouldn't pay a damn nickel for a glass of wine. I don't care for wine so it's not important to me. I would rather pay a few bucks for a decent burger than for a glass of fermented grape juice. To each their own.....

On the topic of burgers, I'd rather have either Freddy's, Steak N Shake, Five Guys, or smashburger, but it's not like we have a choice.

You are correct when you say 'it's all about what's important to the consumer'. When we were on Navigator 10 years ago, on our very first cruise, we tried Johnny Rockets with our cruise buddies. When we could not get our burgers,' medium rare, or even medium' we knew it wasn't the place for us....same is true for many of the burger 'joints' in the marketplace -- Five Guys, Steak N Shake, and others....so we don't frequent them. We have tried Five Guys and Steak N Shake....and we don't like them either.

Steak N Shake does have as good a shake as Johnny Rockets....and I am looking forward to having a shake when we are on board Allure.

Since you're from Ft Collins I'd guess you're a beer guy.

I like wine, it occurs to me just now that I've never had wine with a burger. I need to rectify that.

I like beer too but it's pretty filling, leaves less room for other stuff.

And red wine's a least a bit healthy, at least that's what I tell myself when I pour more third or fourth glass of the evening.

Since you're from Ft Collins I'd guess you're a beer guy.

I like wine, it occurs to me just now that I've never had wine with a burger. I need to rectify that.

I like beer too but it's pretty filling, leaves less room for other stuff.

And red wine's a least a bit healthy, at least that's what I tell myself when I pour more third or fourth glass of the evening.

Actually, I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I do like the occasional O'Dells 90 Schilling or India Ale IPA. Prefer O'Dells over New Belgium but will drink both. Find it funny that in a city with the most breweries per capita in the US, that someone will offer you a beer and hand you a Bud Light. Granted there is a Budweiser brewery here, but with so many other options I have to wonder. It's always an enjoyable day to take a brewery tour for the free samples.

As for the burgers, many places now will not cook burgers anything less than medium well for health reasons. Then again with Freddy's, Steak N Shake, and smashburger, the patties being cooked less would be a matter of seconds, ad the patties are so thin. Kind of like ordering medium at Krystal or White Castle...it's not going to happen.

As for wine, I don't personally see the mass appeal over it. My father is pretty heavy into wine and will spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of wine. I have more pressing needs, in my opinion, that a few hundred dollars would help with!

Everyone has their own priorities in life...

Exactly! It's not a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not a big deal for one or two people maybe, but when you have a family of 3,4, or more, that $6 a person begins to add up to $24 in a hurry. Do that more than once and it begins to make a huge impact. Ironically, I actually don't feel that their sods card is a bad deal, considering the per can prices they charge, but still have a hard time justifying $2.50 or more per can, when the cruise line is likely paying 20 cents or less per can. I know they have to make a profit, but geez. That's like restaurants who charge$2.29 or more for soft drinks and then "sweeten the deal" with "free refills." To really even out that deal, you would likely need to have 9 refills!

It's good to know that the cover charge went up at Johnny Rockets.

I like to eat at JR on sea days. Too bad the one on Majesty isn't open for lunch on embarkation day, missed it last two times I sailed her. The beef sliders (and steak fries) they serve in the MDR kept me away the last cruise.

Anyone remember the SeaView Cafe? It was a free option that served good burgers and similar items (Johnny Rockets without the dancing wait staff or diner decor) on the Radiance-class ships. I think the only one remaining is on the Jewel. Instead of expanding this excellent restaurant to other ships, they are replacing them with fancy upcharge specialty restaurants I'll never try on land, let alone at sea.

Carnival and Norwegian on the other hand, seem to be expanding their Guy Fieri's and O'Sheehans. I think I may consider a Carnival ship sailing to Little Stirrup Cay (CocoCay) or give the neighboring Great Stirrup Cay a try on Norwegian in the future.;)

Edited by TM38Rob

You can get a shake without having them add the cover charge. However, if you sit down, they will quickly serve fries and onion rings, which will incur the cover charge. Tell them before you sit down that you only want a shake, or order the shake to go.

Smart idea. I never though of that. DW and I always go for a shake and end up having a meal as well. The last time we went the food was just ok nothing special. But the shakes were amazing. I rather spend the 12$ on some extra drinks by the pool.

Honestly...in the bigger scheme of things for enjoying our cruises...

...the added $1 won't make or break anything. The food at Johnny Rockets tends to be refreshing and a nice change from formal dining. We always felt like we got good value and good food there.

Yes, it was $5.95 pp last week on the Liberty. We ordered the club sandwich and the grilled chicken - both were quite good. We used our bogo milkshake offer. We were on the Indy last March, and I suppose the price was $4.95.

To be honest, I didn't give it a second thought. The rings and fries are an indulgance for us, and we loved it!

It's not until I came here and read this thread that I began to think "Hey.. that's a 20% increase.. how dare they!". Then I gave my head a shake, and realized that It didn't even phase me, and we loved sitting in the open caribbean breeze eating some comfort food. I am catching myself being "toxic" sometimes after reading how much some people get worked up over very little.

Perhaps I am the perfect consumer.. complain little and pay the extra. And I'm ok with that. At some point, I will decide not to pay.. but $1 increase seems to be within my acceptable limit. I was cruising, and I was with my DW.. life is good.

Call me a sucker, or offer to sell me some swamp land somewhere.. I'm OK with that. :)

Edited by Toddcan

Yes, it was $5.95 pp last week on the Liberty. We ordered the club sandwich and the grilled chicken - both were quite good. We used our bogo milkshake offer. We were on the Indy last March, and I suppose the price was $4.95.

To be honest, I didn't give it a second thought. The rings and fries are an indulgance for us, and we loved it!

It's not until I came here and read this thread that I began to think "Hey.. that's a 20% increase.. how dare they!". Then I gave my head a shake, and realized that It didn't even phase me, and we loved sitting in the open caribbean breeze eating some comfort food. I am catching myself being "toxic" sometimes after reading how much some people get worked up over very little.

Perhaps I am the perfect consumer.. complain little and pay the extra. And I'm ok with that. At some point, I will decide not to pay.. but $1 increase seems to be within my acceptable limit. I was cruising, and I was with my DW.. life is good.

Call me a sucker, or offer to sell me some swamp land somewhere.. I'm OK with that. :)

fb-like-button.jpg

If I have to start be so frugal over them raising the price by $1 ($2 total for the both of us) then I may as well stop cruising. I don't like increase of bread, milk and gas but I keep on buying it also!

Edited by bigque

$5.95 is way to much for a JR on a ship only a few years ago we got the free offer in the saving book. I think Royal should close JR and put "IN and OUT BURGER" in them. Now I would pay £5.95 for that.:)

I would love that too! The problem is In N Out is known for not freezing their meat. All locations are within a certain distance of their meat processing facilities. The meat is processed and then carried by refrigeration trucks to the restaurant and they are cooked within a defined amount of time. One processing plant is in central California and they just opened another one near Dallas which is why they are now expanding in Texas.

Another issue is all In N Out burgers are private owned by the family and there are no franchises so there is no way they would be on a ship.

It's six bucks for all you can eat !!:eek::eek: How much do you pay when you go to Furrs or Golden Corral ? Twice as much.

And how much do you pay for windjammer or MDR? I just cant justify laying out an extra $25 for lunch plus milkshakes after spending 3K for a cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, they seem to be nickel and diming away lately :rolleyes:. But does $1 really make a difference in the scheme or things?!

They are nickel and diming. I am not worried about this increase, Im more concerned with the C&A Discounts...and the next cruise program changes