*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

How terrible.

We leave on Navigator a week from today with four couples. For one, this will be their first cruise. I hope this does not get their spirits down.

For those waiting to board and/or depart...enjoy your cruise!

We also cruise on NOS next week. Extending our vacation and going down on Wed. to stay in timeshare on the island a few days.

Ch13 was specific in saying the port is not closed! The ships just can't sail around the spill so no traffic is allowed to move.

here is a link to the Galveston Daily News:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_6340123e-b1fc-11e3-987d-0017a43b2370.html

Those of us that live in and around the area are very concerned about our wildlife especially our migratory birds. Additionally this will have a huge impact on our seafood businesses as well as other local businesses that are losing income due to the spill.

--Seabrook, TX

Hang in there Karen, don't give up the ship!:D

Once we didn't even board till 9:00pm due to fog and left the dock at 2 in the morning...it was all good! We had a good time looking about the ship that evening. We spent the whole afternoon and early evening at the bar at the wharf drinking with our cruise buds. Relax! And enjoy the seagulls!

The powers that be understand the situation, believe me, and are doing their best to get you on.

We were on the Navigator on February 23. We did not get on the ship until 7 p.m. Word to the wise-do not go down and stand in line-there is no food or restrooms available. If you have to leave your hotel go to one of the restaurants on the Strand and wait. They will not take your luggage until the ship is coming in. If you are at a hotel stay put and relax. The lines get very long and the wait is terrible at the port. All you can do is stand on the concrete for hours. A number of cruisers stayed at their hotel or in one of the Strand restaurants and did fine.

Good luck to all of you. I know you are waiting to be on the ship and I guarantee you it will be worth it. it is a wonderful cruise.

We were on the Navigator on February 23. We did not get on the ship until 7 p.m. Word to the wise-do not go down and stand in line-there is no food or restrooms available. If you have to leave your hotel go to one of the restaurants on the Strand and wait. They will not take your luggage until the ship is coming in. If you are at a hotel stay put and relax. The lines get very long and the wait is terrible at the port. All you can do is stand on the concrete for hours. A number of cruisers stayed at their hotel or in one of the Strand restaurants and did fine.

Good luck to all of you. I know you are waiting to be on the ship and I guarantee you it will be worth it. it is a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the info. So far our hotel has extended checkout until 2pm. Just hoping for better late than never. Being from LA I'm surprised by the lack of news coverage on the spill.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

CARNIVAL MAGIC

MARCH 23, 2014

March 23, 2014

Hi folks!

I'm back to provide you an update on the arrival of the Carnival Magic's arrival into Galveston.

As you can see, the fog has lifted, however, the Port of Galveston remains closed to all inbound and outbound ship traffic due to an oil spill caused by the sunken barge we had previously communicated. We are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard and port officials regarding the situation.

We will provide you with another update no later than 2:30 PM (CDT). Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you hear from us.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates.

Once again, we apologize for this delay. Most importantly, we thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

I saw this on the Princess board, and I thought it was interesting to see how disruptive this accident is to both inbound and outbound ships.

Number of ships affected

While the remaining oil in the damaged barge is removed Sunday, the mouth of Houston ship channel is closed to all ships in either direction. It's not clear when it will reopen, Danus said. Twenty-seven vessels, including two cruise ships, are waiting to enter the channel from the Gulf of Mexico. Thirty-four vessels, including one cruise ship, are waiting to leave Galveston Bay.

I saw this on the Princess board, and I thought it was interesting to see how disruptive this accident is to both inbound and outbound ships.

And the numbers only grow. Last look at vessel finder showed more ships sailing into the sea buoy anchorage area heading into POH and POG.

Some mistakes they constantly repeat just shock me...yes Texas related as well at O2 into a fire. One day I may call Greg and ask home to carry an O2 bottle into a fire to see what happens.

Only a bit of research on a story would lead to better reporting often...such as cruise terminals and ships affected. Sad a reporter thinks CCL is the only game in the region.

All of the facts don't seem to be too relevant to today's media. :( Unfortunately, it's another way to nail CCL since they've had mishaps that make the news. Another media frenzy for Carnival, and "everyone" has heard about "them". ;)

Weather permitting, I always wear my swim suit to board :D Lounge chair and an umbrella drink are first on my list :D

Great idea indeed! Those are first on our list too, and if its warm enough probably the pool or a hot tub too! And knowing DW, if its warm and the water looks inviting enough - wouldn't be the first time she'd end up in the pool in whatever she's wearing if she hadn't worn a suit! :D

[/b][/color]

All of the facts don't seem to be too relevant to today's media. :( Unfortunately, it's another way to nail CCL since they've had mishaps that make the news. Another media frenzy for Carnival, and "everyone" has heard about "them". ;)

I suppose that could be part of it.

Just hope that when ships do sail there aren't too many ports missed.

[/b][/color]

After posting this and realizing it was too late to edit, I wanted to clarify I was being very tongue in cheek about Carnival and how the media tends to exploit them for cruise line wrongs. I have no negative attitude toward Carnival. Can't give an opinion on a cruise line when never have sailed them. :o