Would you take your 7 month old on a cruise

I say resoundingly yes. I did not take the time to read the 50 replies above, but my wife and I have two children, 5 and now 13 months, and we love cruising with our kids.

Our 5 year old has been on 6 (Soon to be 7, we leave for the 16 night Barcelona to Dubai Ovation Repo in less than a week) cruises, including two TAs, that included iceland, klaksvik, barcelona, cork, tenerife, etc. as various stops. Also been on several caribbean cruises, and one disney cruise. My son is emerald on his own points, and soon to be diamond. He loves cruising. He loved the nursery when he was smaller, and now loves adventure ocean.

Our 13 month old went on her first cruise when she was 7 months old and is about to go on her second. We would have started her at 6 months, but she is adopted, as is our son, and we could not get a birth certificate with our names on them until the adoption was finalized, and without a BC we couldn't get on a ship.

For me, worrying about their health is not an issue. I am a neonatologist/pediatrician, and basically bring a mini pharmacy with me on board in the event of illness, so I can treat most things, and triage in the event of a serious illness.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you expect to do with your kids. I have a very busy schedule at home, and cruises are one of the ONLY places I can avoid phone calls, emails, meetings, etc. and have a viable excuse. When I am on a cruise ship, I feel I am a better dad. I can avoid the distractions of life. I don't have to worry about maintaining a home. We don't have to worry about what's for dinner, or cleaning the house. My wife and I can focus on what's truly important, and that's spending time with our children.

People may argue, you can do that at home. Well, not really. With the advent of smart phones, even on vacation, it's impossible to avoid the stresses of daily life.

Not only that, but with Disney and RCI, they have a nursery along with the Kids Club. With that, I can spend time with my wife later in the evening, and spend time with my children during the day. It's the best of both worlds.

Many people have responded a resounding NO, to bring young children on a cruise for various reasons. I did not read the responses, as sometimes, they can raise my blood pressure. In my opinion, it's ultimately up to you as to what you believe your children can handle. We have trained our kids at a very young age to travel, and they travel well. Are they perfect, heck no, but they know the routine, and adjust accordingly.

I have often been told "What's the point? They won't remember it?" Well, guess what, you remember it! And you remember if they were there or weren't. To me, I'm not bringing them on a cruise for them. I'm bring them on a cruise for me. So I can be with my children. Why have children if you just leave them home all the time? My parents travelled extensively when I was young, and they always brought me. While I don't remember it, when I see the pics with me in them, it warms my heart. Why? Because I felt that they cared enough to bring me along. They didn't take the easy way out, and just leave me behind every time so they could "Have a better time." They wanted to spend time with me, even if it meant some inconvenience to them because they had to drag diapers, wipes, bottles, etc.

When you start cruising with kids, you just have to adjust your expectations as to what you plan to do. Some days, it goes maybe 80% according to plan, and somedays, closer to 10%. As long as you are flexible and ok with that, I say go for it. It's pretty much the only way to travel with young infants/children.

Edited by rimmit

at this point there's a sea of "yes" and "no" to choose from, but I'll add mine.

Yes - if you want to and can adjust expectations

We took our son when he was 4 months old. Even at that age he had fun. He splashed around in the water on the beaches (didn't like the sand one bit though) and seemed to love the ocean air on the balcony. He rolled over for the first time on that cruise, and it was also the first time he started making motions just to get a reaction from us. Speaking of milestones, he also took his first steps on a cruise ship. He's 3 now and will go on his 8th cruise in 3 weeks.

So totally doable, and we all had a great time even with him being so young. Just know that you need to adjust expectations accordingly. We had no problem leaving him in the nursery, which gave us a little time for quiet meals and spending dedicated time with our daughter. But there's a lot to consider with feeding schedules, naps, etc. I definitely wouldn't do it without a balcony to chill on while baby naps.

Extra special care with hygiene (we were *those* parents who didn't let anyone else hold our baby while on the cruise) and we washed our hands constantly.

Hope you have fun! :D

If I would've had the opportunity (read: resources) when my first daughter was 7 months old I definitely would've done it. When you are a first time parent, that first child is your world, so how lovely would it be to have your world surrounded with tropical scenery? I think if you do the homework as far as what's available for nursery, etc., and you find that is all easy to navigate I'd say go for it! Sure, the 7 month old is unlikely to remember much but you will make some wonderful memories for yourself. So I vote yes, and please share pictures and reviews after you get back!

No. I have seen too many people with babies in the hot tub because they are not allowed in the pool. Definitely a health issue. I have seen people put down blankets in a quiet corner so baby can crawl around. You will spend a lot of time pushing baby around ship in stroller. Sure it is a change of scenery from home and that alone might be worth it to you but there is probably a better and less expensive vacation choice at this age.

If I had to choose between standing in lines at Disney and a cruise I would choose the cruise. If I had to choose between vacationing at home with babysitters and date time and time to veg out I would choose home and wait a few years until your child can participate in the kids clubs and pools.

For me, worrying about their health is not an issue. I am a neonatologist/pediatrician, and basically bring a mini pharmacy with me on board in the event of illness, so I can treat most things, and triage in the event of a serious illness.

This is so funny, as many people cite medical care or health as reasons not to bring a baby. Not everyone is a neonatologist/pediatrician.

If you truly trusted the onboard medical staff to treat your child appropriately, you wouldn't have to bring all that stuff with you.

Lots of opinions here, but when you have a family, that is your family. And for me, I want to spend time with them and share these special times. So yes, I would bring a baby along. Just know that your vacation may be "diminished"...meaning, that you may not be able to do things that you would otherwise...such as go to the shows (or just one of you while the other stays with your baby), you'll need to take turns on any activities, you'll have to watch your time in the sun, and you'll need to do things differently. And yes, there are diapers and at 7 months, nap times, the baby is either not eating yet or just starting out of foods so very specific foods...but you know that, as this is your every day life. If you don't travel much, then perhaps it's better to wait for your child to be able to participate more, but I see nothing wrong with taking your baby with you as every bit of time with them is precious. It goes so fast.

Edited by LuCruise

This is so funny, as many people cite medical care or health as reasons not to bring a baby. Not everyone is a neonatologist/pediatrician.

If you truly trusted the onboard medical staff to treat your child appropriately, you wouldn't have to bring all that stuff with you.

No, you bring it for the same reason you bring your own Tylenol/Ibuprofen from home. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to bring it then to pay for it in the medical center.

Our 5 year old has been on 6 (Soon to be 7, we leave for the 16 night Barcelona to Dubai Ovation Repo in less than a week) cruises, including two TAs, that included iceland, klaksvik, barcelona, cork, tenerife, etc. as various stops. Also been on several caribbean cruises, and one disney cruise. My son is emerald on his own points, and soon to be diamond.

This sums up your whole response in one paragraph, too funny really. Someone asks about medical/issues for a 7 month old and you can't help yourself from bragging about where your kids have been and what status they are. Even mentioning ports they've visited? Whatever......

Edited by bouhunter

No. I have seen too many people with babies in the hot tub because they are not allowed in the pool.

Just a point I'd like to bring up. Some ships have special baby *pools* where swim diapers are allowed. On Allure it was only maybe 3 inches deep, and a pretty small area next the big kids splash area. Our DS was 15 months at the time and was able to have fun sitting in there and splashing around. The best diaper-friendly water area I've seen on a ship was the Disney Fantasy.

No, you bring it for the same reason you bring your own Tylenol/Ibuprofen from home. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to bring it then to pay for it in the medical center.

No, sorry, poster is talking about not having to worry because he/she is a neonatologist, not because he can save a few bucks on Pedialyte.

We brought our first born on her first cruise (onboard Liberty) at 9 months and she was a gem. We watched all the shows we liked with her in tow (wore her in a carrier) and did everything as per normal. We will be bringing our second daughter with us in June and she will be 7+ months old then. She has already flown once and is quite good on the plane so fingers crossed it will turn out well. :)

Lots of opinions here, but when you have a family, that is your family. And for me, I want to spend time with them and share these special times.

Some people have talked about leaving little ones behind, but we never traveled without our son, when he was little. It's more a matter of what kinds of travel we chose to do. For us, cruising with an infant just didn't seem like the best choice, but we did other things with him.

So, I agree with you about wanted to be with them and share special times.

We did start cruising with him, when he was old enough for Adventure Ocean, though. :cool:

We took our son when he was 4 months old. Even at that age he had fun.

So which of your cruises was that? Curious, since most of the major cruise lines require infants to be at least 6 months old to be eligible to sail.

We took our then 8 month old on a Disney cruise last May. It was definitely challenging at times b/c her sleep was off and she was teething so a little cranky. However, I don't regret going, we also had our 5 year old son who had an incredible time and asks to go again often.

I knew it would be challenging going in. Set your expectations low. Be prepared to miss stuff and just relax in the cabin. Get a travel brush set for bottles, that was a life saver. A small bottle of dish detergent. We never used the blow up pool we brought. We used the nursery a few times to get a couple hours at the adults only pool and go to Palo (adult only dinner). While planning our next cruise we have decided to wait til just after my daughter turns 3 so she'll be able to use the kids club (hopefully). Its a personal decision for everyone for sure.

Unfortunately I have had "experience" with an onboard medical team. Believe me, you have every justification not to trust them, ESPECIALLY with an infant or child.

Being that your daughter is now 7 months old you are well aware of her sleep pattern. Children under 18 months old live their life in 3 hour time frames...change her...feed her...nap her...EVERY 3 HOURS..that said...i hope you and your spouse will choose a large comfy stateroom based on the amount of down time you will be spending there.

Best,

mark

Aaaaaaall of this discourse ......... :rolleyes:

I and "cruisinfanatic" still had the best answer to his question.

NO!!

Sorry, but it really is a bad idea.

Edited by DHADEN

No, sorry, poster is talking about not having to worry because he/she is a neonatologist, not because he can save a few bucks on Pedialyte.

Or maybe he/she simply would prefer to "treat" their own child, not only from a parents standpoint but a professional one as well. My mother is a Nurse Practitioner and anytime we travel with her she also brings along a mini pharmacy and if I was ever not feeling well, you better believe I would go to her prior to the medical facility on a ship (assuming it was not something serious/major, in which I'm sure the poster would do the same) No where in that post did they say that they wouldn't trust the ship's medical staff....but if it's simple illnesses that come up why would they not treat their own child and come prepared?

So which of your cruises was that? Curious, since most of the major cruise lines require infants to be at least 6 months old to be eligible to sail.

It was on the Disney Magic in Jan. 2013, back when their limit was 3 months (it's since moved to 6 months). What surprised me a lot was that our DS was not even close to being the youngest on the ship. We met many families traveling with 3 month olds, probably a half does or so that we met. The nursery staff told us our son was maybe the 5th youngest that they had all week.

No, but just because what I enjoy about a cruise is relaxing, reading by the pool, eating nice dinners, going to shows... Our youngest were 4 on our first cruise, no diapers, no bottles, they could use the kids club, sit for meals, enjoy shows...

When I had babies, I liked to have all of my baby stuff - strollers, exersaucers, dish washer, car with carseat - and be able to go places. I think I would feel a little trapped on a ship. Plus, at that age, my kids napped from 9 - 11, 2 - 4, and were in bed by 8. I wouldn't want to spend that much time cooped up in a cabin, or even on a balcony.

I've vacationed with babies, just not on a ship.

I fail to see the difference. You stated if he trusted the medical staff on board, he wouldn't bring items to take care of his child. That's what I was responding to. Neonatal, doctor or whatever, if he could handle taking care of it himself, why would he pay the overpriced expense of someone else taking care of it. I'm not a doctor, but we bring a small pharmacy with us as well. Mainly so we can take care of issues at a small fraction of the cost of going to medical to do so.