Airbnb

melted2002

Has any one used airbnb for a night or two before a cruise ?

As Andee said you need to state what City you are inquiring about.

In NYC Multiple Dwelling Law restricts renting out multiple dwelling for periods of fewer than 30 days.

There are also varying taxes that have to be collected on hotel room in NYC including BNB that the host has to adhere too as well as if they are in a rent regulated apartment Air BNB would be illegal no matter what.

I would be very careful on using BNB in the five boroughs of NYC. You won't have very many protections if it is not a legal BNB.

Additionally, no matter where you AirBnB, watch out for scams. I was unaware of them and was (am) looking for a place for three couples to rent in Manhattan prior to a spring cruise. There were several places that looked incredible for very good prices. All of them tended to have an email address watermarked on one of the pictures that said something like "can't update the calendar, email to check availability". To make this long story short, had proably 20 emails with one place and got more and more uncomfortable but I got an email that appeared to be from AirBnB wanting my payment info. Luckily, I was still waiting for a response ( still am actually) about a final issue and so I did a google search about AirBnB scams and seems like I was about to get taken!

Dasterdly folks use MLS listing photos to set up phony AirBnB listings, hook you in, send you an email that looks like it is from AirBnB and either get you to charge or worse yet bank transfer money...and then disappear. I went back and checked the email I received, and indeed while it appeared as AirBnB on my email, when you double clicked it, it was a gmail address!

Needless to say, I am back to the drawing board....I am looking at both AirBnB and VRBO/Homeaway.

I knew that if it was too good to be true it probably was.....but still, that place looked soooooooooo nice! LOL

Manhattan is going to be a tough nut to crack. As stated there are regulations plus another thing is that many buildings are co-ops and there is no way a co-op is going to allow Airbnb. You might find something in a fringe neighborhood in Manhattan. Or maybe you can look in Astoria or Long Island City which is in Queens but a short subway ride to midtown.

Just as an FYI, I just booked an airbnb in Puerto Rico.

All of the emails with my host are @airbnb.com.

On the other hand, I got an email .... to a totally different email account ... from Airbnb with an email address from @web.de. That just got marked as SPAM

AirBnB is a very tricky thing in Manhattan, though I have been told it works really well in other places. Even if you don't get ripped off by a scam, neighbors in the building may call 311 and demand that the police come to put you out on the street because the rental is in violation of the NYC regulations; I don't know how this will eventually play out in the courts, but people here are very angry about strangers being given keys to their buildings. In my own building, I came into the lobby recently to find a family being told by the security staff that they had been scammed (on Craigslist, not AirBnB) and that the apartment they thought they had rented (and paid for) was not only not for rent, but was occupied by a woman who had nothing to do with the Craigslist listing. They were sent away, cursing, crying and screaming, to find a hotel.

Edited by Langoustine

Has any one used airbnb for a night or two before a cruise ?

If so how was it and would you do it again ?

We are three couples looking to stay two nights prior to our cruise

You need to provide more details before anyone can offer reasonable advice. All we know is that you are 6 people.

What city? What exact dates? Hotel budget/night including tax? If flying, what airport? Sightseeing objectives?

I wouldn't do it but I have friends that did it in NYC and were very happy with it, my brother also did it

Useless anecdotal evidence. This from elderly man think NYC restaurant BECCO is called BECCO'S.

Edited by RHefley228

I am sorry it has taken so long to get back with an answer been away.

We are looking for an Airbnb in Fort Lauderdale as we are cruising out of port everglades.

We are coming down late Feb. 2017

Then you need to be on the Florida sub forum. Everything for Forida is separate on CC and this forum only deals with the rest of the east coast.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Edited by 138east