Port calls in San Juan

raidz

I know ships are departing from SJ but are they making port calls there? From what I know about the conditions I can't see a lot of touristy things happening.

No port calls yet, but both Royal Caribbean and Carnival plan to return on November 30. Sources: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates and https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx .

I know ships are departing from SJ but are they making port calls there? From what I know about the conditions I can't see a lot of touristy things happening.

I am presently in San Juan. We left the Celebrity Summit October 28th, will spend three nights here and the fly out tomorrow.

Until the power situation stabilizes there are not many touristy activities available. For example, while you can walk around its exterior El Moro is is closed. A number of restaurants are closed in OSJ, and some of the small shops are trying to operate during daylight hours.

We are two of the few tourists staying at the Hotel El Convento (most are Coast Guard personnel, other disaster personnel and a few local families who lost their homes), which has power as the El Convento has its own generators. But we see residents obtaining ice from the El Convento, and blocks of OSJ are dark at night. The priority has to be restoring power before museums and other attractions can re-open. But my husband and I are pleased to be here and help support the local economy as best we can.

Although power still hasn't been restored in many places, and the news show some of the worst images from around the island that give the impression that that it's complete devastation, conditions in San Juan are better than what you may have seen on TV, with several areas almost back to a sense of normalcy. Yes, a lot of businesses are operating on generator power but they are open. I spent a few days in Puerto Rico last week and things were better than what I had prepared myself for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums