Nightlife on Queen Elizabeth

Aspidestra99

I will be on my first ever cruise later next year.

I've found information regarding the more formal ballroom but wondered if anyone can provide details regarding the nightclub.

What sort of music is there, what time is it open until, Im assuming there is a dance floor and what is the general vibe?

The ballroom looks quite formal and while I'll certainly be in there I'm hoping the nightclub has a more city-chic feel to it.

I've looked around but can't find any images/video of the nightclub.

Information most gratefully received.

I love reading the posts on this site as they provide invaluable info for a cruise newbie.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

I will be on my first ever cruise later next year.

I've found information regarding the more formal ballroom but wondered if anyone can provide details regarding the nightclub.

What sort of music is there, what time is it open until, Im assuming there is a dance floor and what is the general vibe?

The ballroom looks quite formal and while I'll certainly be in there I'm hoping the nightclub has a more city-chic feel to it.

I've looked around but can't find any images/video of the nightclub.

Information most gratefully received.

I love reading the posts on this site as they provide invaluable info for a cruise newbie.

The Yacht Club is open from around 9pm in the evening until "Late". This means that it closes when all passengers have left or it is very quiet. In practice thus is usually 1am to 2am. There is a resident DJ who has access to all the hits from the last 50 years. So this means they play oldies up to more recent stuff. They encourage requests as well. Often there are theme nights such as Motown and ABBA.

There is also a Caribbean Party Band who play upbeat party music over 2 or 3 sets in a evening. At least once per cruise they also play a Party Night in the Queens Room.

I like the Yacht Club and it has a nice friendly and intimate feel as it us quite small, but perfectly adequate.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

The Yacht Club is open from around 9pm in the evening until "Late". This means that it closes when all passengers have left or it is very quiet. In practice thus is usually 1am to 2am. There is a resident DJ who has access to all the hits from the last 50 years. So this means they play oldies up to more recent stuff. They encourage requests as well. Often there are theme nights such as Motown and ABBA.

There is also a Caribbean Party Band who play upbeat party music over 2 or 3 sets in a evening. At least once per cruise they also play a Party Night in the Queens Room.

I like the Yacht Club and it has a nice friendly and intimate feel as it us quite small, but perfectly adequate.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, really helpful. Now looking forward to the holiday even more !!

Here is a link to a video of the Yacht Club aboard the Queen Elizabeth of people dancing to the music
Regards,Jerry
If proof were needed that Cunarders are capable of some serious disco moves this video is it.

I am now in training, preparing to launch my handbag (and myself) onto the dance floor.. [emoji126]

I have seen the YC be standing room only at 1 AM, almost every night. But my last cruise, I never saw more than a half-dozen people there. I hope it's not an indication of where Cunard's marketing is going.

The DJ's have always been eager to please, although a last gig at an English hoilday camp on Corfu may not really fit the Cunard demographic. My last cruise, the DJ was very good, most of her music went to waste.

The Caribbean bands do usually degenerate to brain-dead Caribbean mishmash for the drunks, but they can do at least as well as the QR orchestra when given some encouragement, certainly for contemporary Latin. I hear persistent rumours they have the worst contracts and worst treatment of any musicians aboard.

When it's good it's been very good but when it's bad, very bad.

We are onboard now but haven’t yet made it to the Commodores or YC. The band and singer in the Queens Room are good, entertainment in the theatre mixed. The ship is very quiet in the evening and most people seem to go straight to bed after the theatre finishes at 11.15. Last night the show for second sitting was at 7 instead of 10.30 and we noticed the ship seemed dead earlier as a result. As I had said we haven’t been to the higher decks yet in the evening so things may be different. Still enjoying ourselves as we like the dancing in the Queens Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are onboard now but haven’t yet made it to the Commodores or YC. The band and singer in the Queens Room are good, entertainment in the theatre mixed. The ship is very quiet in the evening and most people seem to go straight to bed after the theatre finishes at 11.15. Last night the show for second sitting was at 7 instead of 10.30 and we noticed the ship seemed dead earlier as a result. As I had said we haven’t been to the higher decks yet in the evening so things may be different. Still enjoying ourselves as we like the dancing in the Queens Room.

If it is possible when and if you go to the Yacht Club would you please report on this thread your experience at the Yacht Club. Because I would like to compare it from the times I was aboard the QM2 at the G32 Club and also aboard the now retired QE2 at the QE2's Yacht Club. Regards,Jerry

If it is possible when and if you go to the Yacht Club would you please report on this thread your experience at the Yacht Club. Because I would like to compare it from the times I was aboard the QM2 at the G32 Club and also aboard the now retired QE2 at the QE2's Yacht Club. Regards,Jerry

We actually popped into the YC last night when the show finished at 11.15 for a change but there were only 2 guests in there. We went into the Conmodore and there were about 16 guests listening to the pianist/singer. The ambience was very nice but we didn’t stop long as many left by about 11.40. Last night the band Steele were playing in the QR but again once the show was over it was only the entertainments team dancing with very few guests around.

We spoke to the Entertainments Director on our way to bed as we saw her on the stairs. She told us they were trying to put a 7 pm show on for 2nd sitting 2 or 3 times a voyage to see how it goes but she agreed it was extremely quiet around the ship. We commented that the price of drinks were meaning the bars were very quiet and she said she would pass the comment to the bars manager but this has already been brought to their attention frequently. However we complimented the QR singer Michael Burke and the QR band. The dance professionals did a great Paso for Halloween with the entertainments team as back up dancers which went down very well.

.... she agreed it was extremely quiet around the ship. We commented that the price of drinks were meaning the bars were very quiet and she said she would pass the comment to the bars manager but this has already been brought to their attention frequently.

If they have been given this same comment frequently why don't they listen and do something about it? It surprises me that they don't understand that if they drop the bar prices they would sell much more, and many people would buy a drink in the bar rather than drink alone in their cabins. So many cruise ships are now including drinks packages or lowering drink prices overall yet Cunard seem to be raising prices and adding 18% as well for service charge. I think they need to employ a different accountant.

We have just completed our first voyage on six star Crystal, which cost us the same price as the trip we are doing on the QE later this month in a QG (Q5) suite. However, on Crystal grats, drinks (which had no limit on price and included some good quality high end stuff) and two nights dining in the speciality restaurants, were included in the price plus we received 1200 dollars OBC, which paid for all our excursions. This price on Crystal was not a 'deal' price as we booked over 9 months before sail date. I am afraid Cunard are slipping down my list of favoured cruise lines and unless they shape up I fear they will see many people moving over to other lines.

The Yacht Club was packed to overflowing every night on our 27 August cruise in QUEEN ELIZABETH; after so many cruises in Oceania where it's deader than a door nail after "the show" lets out, it was a revelation. A really great band, Steele, and a wonderful ambiance. The Commodore Club, too, was busy. So I don't think you'll find nightlife on QE lacking. We really enjoyed it.

Odd that because the nightclub on the QM2 has always been practically dead every time we've gone in, aside from a few crew members off duty.
When I was last aboard the QM2 which was in October of last year 2016 which was a roundtrip transatlantic crossing New York to Southampton and staying aboard for the return crossing to New York, the DJ in the G32 Club which is the QM2's nightclub told me that when the QM2 does transatlantic crossings, on most nights during the crossing the G32 Club is packed with passengers. And what the DJ told me was correct. He said that it is only when the QM2 is on a cruise that on nights before the QM2 is to arrive at a port of call in the next morning during the cruise that really only a very few bother to show up probably because most of the other passengers go to bed early to be able to get up early to have an early breakfast and then go to their shoreside excursions. And I do remember that happening when I was aboard the QM2 for a cruise not a crossing. I do hope that I can go aboard the QM2 again next year in 2018. Regards,Jerry

If they have been given this same comment frequently why don't they listen and do something about it? It surprises me that they don't understand that if they drop the bar prices they would sell much more, and many people would buy a drink in the bar rather than drink alone in their cabins. So many cruise ships are now including drinks packages or lowering drink prices overall yet Cunard seem to be raising prices and adding 18% as well for service charge. I think they need to employ a different accountant.

We have just completed our first voyage on six star Crystal, which cost us the same price as the trip we are doing on the QE later this month in a QG (Q5) suite. However, on Crystal grats, drinks (which had no limit on price and included some good quality high end stuff) and two nights dining in the speciality restaurants, were included in the price plus we received 1200 dollars OBC, which paid for all our excursions. This price on Crystal was not a 'deal' price as we booked over 9 months before sail date. I am afraid Cunard are slipping down my list of favoured cruise lines and unless they shape up I fear they will see many people moving over to other lines.

Cunard add 15% service charge to drinks not 18%.

Thanks for the updates Tangoqueen, I hope you are having a great time.
7pm does seem early for a theatre show. It doesn't allow much time for pre show drinks. Also a later finish might encourage people to stay up that bit later.

Not having cruised before I'm not sure if this is the done thing but a 'happy hour' or similar may tempt people to visit the venues for a post show drink...or just reduce the bar prices in general.

I hope you are having a great time tangoqueen and thanks for the update.

Cunard add 15% service charge to drinks not 18%.

I apologise, my mistake. However the crux of my argument remains, unless Cunard lower their bar prices people will cut down on what they drink, profits will fall and Cunard will then raise prices again! It is madness.