Airport and luggage question

jplum13

If we were to have a late flight out of San Juan on the day of departure, would it be possible to check our luggage at the airport, and leave to explore San Juan before returning for our flight?

I believe they won’t let you go to the counter to drop off luggage before 4 hours before your flight. Last time I cruised out of San Juan I had to wait out by where the restaurants are until 4 hours before flight. At that time I was able to go to the counter to drop off bags and go on through security.

We flew home on Saturday, 11/4 on JetBlue and were allowed to check our bags 8 hours prior to departure. We opted to wait at the airport since there's not much to see/do in San Juan right now.

Must be up to the airlines discretion. AA must only be 4 hours.

If we were to have a late flight out of San Juan on the day of departure, would it be possible to check our luggage at the airport, and leave to explore San Juan before returning for our flight?

Another option is to store luggage: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/sanjuan.htm

• Luggage Storage & Lockers - There is Luggage Storage Room in Terminal D, 2nd Level, rates are not known.

http://aeropuertosju.com/en/passengers/enfaq/

Does the Airport have a Luggage Storage Room?

Yes, the Cooperativa de Servicios de Equipaje can storage your luggage. For more information call (787) 791-3371. You can also write an email to: lacooperativaicr@yahoo.com

You can also try storing at the hotel:

Edited by Mismatched
update the info

We flew home on Saturday, 11/4 on JetBlue and were allowed to check our bags 8 hours prior to departure. We opted to wait at the airport since there's not much to see/do in San Juan right now.

What was the taxi situation like at the airport? We're flying in 11/18 for a Celebrity cruise. We usually just grab a cab, but I know nothing is normal on the devastated island. What did you find? Also, were there plenty of taxis at the port upon your return?

thanks,

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

We flew out on Nov. 18th. There is a first class check in line for AA. The TSA preapproved line through security is closed, they are using a Dog in the regular line and regulating how many go through at a time. The Taxi's are regulated, but add a per bag charge.

December 2, 2017 Adventure of the Seas

Quick note. We board on the 25th. We had no problems taking the free transfers. Royal meet us at the baggage carousels and after we collected our luggage we checked in with the bus transfer assistant. Where they checked our set sail passes and our luggage tags. They gave us our health surveys then they lead us across the street to the awaiting luggage truck then on to the bus. Our ride to the port was about 15 minutes. Saw some destruction from the hurricane but I felt things looked better than how I imagined they would be. We were dropped off right at the start of embarkation. We got in line X-ray and check in went smoothly. We walked on the ship and our cabins were ready when we arrived at 1pm. Our luggage arrived before the 5:30 Muster Drill. Nothing missing nothing damaged it was perfect.

I have NO complaints about the Free transfer and the luggage service.

Going back to the airport will be another thing. We’ll just have to wait and see. We disembark on the 17th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54639789

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We flew out on Nov. 18th. There is a first class check in line for AA. The TSA preapproved line through security is closed, they are using a Dog in the regular line and regulating how many go through at a time. The Taxi's are regulated, but add a per bag charge.

When we flew out on 11/19, the PreCheck lane was open, so this must vary.

Taxis were a non-issue.

The Taxi's are regulated, but add a per bag charge.

And the bag charge is part of the regulation. Flat fee depending on the One you’re in and zone you’re going to, and a flat per bag charge.

I have NO complaints about the Free transfer and the luggage service.

Going back to the airport will be another thing. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I haven’t heard any complaints about the service from the airport.

It’s TO the airport where complaints have settled.

We just returned from a week on Jewel of the Seas yesterday. Upon disembarking and exiting the cruise terminal (Pan America Terminal) we were greeted by a gentleman in a blue polo shirt that said SJ happy tours. They offered a tour of old San Juan and storage of our luggage for the entire day, in their vehicle, at $25 per person; we ended at the airport just before 3 PM. It was a great tour and gave us 2 1/2 hours to shop in old San Juan and a nice drive through the city and all the north eastern coastal resort areas on the way to the airport. In our opinion this was the best option for spending the day in old San Juan and getting to the airport for our 6 PM flight; great option if you have no place to store your luggage for the day.