Canaletto on Prinsendam

We have never eaten in Canaletto on our previous cruises. Mostly the reason is because of the location in the Lido and the intense garlic smell in the Lido (we have had to walk on the other side of the Lido to avoid the worst of the smell). I love garlic but that smell bothers even me; my DM is not fond of garlic and can't stand the smell in the evening on the Lido.

However, our next cruise is on the Prinsendam where Canaletto appears to be right at the aft of the ship, potentially farther away from the garlic odours. I would like to try it once. I'm hoping that while there will likely still be the garlic odour near where the meals are cooked, it will not be as noticeable in the Prinsendam Canaletto. Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Thank you!

We have never eaten in Canaletto on our previous cruises. Mostly the reason is because of the location in the Lido and the intense garlic smell in the Lido (we have had to walk on the other side of the Lido to avoid the worst of the smell). I love garlic but that smell bothers even me; my DM is not fond of garlic and can't stand the smell in the evening on the Lido.

However, our next cruise is on the Prinsendam where Canaletto appears to be right at the aft of the ship, potentially farther away from the garlic odours. I would like to try it once. I'm hoping that while there will likely still be the garlic odour near where the meals are cooked, it will not be as noticeable in the Prinsendam Canaletto. Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Thank you!

I have eaten in the Canaletto on the P'dam a number of times. It was excellent every time (I am not normally a Canaletto fan).

It has a fabulous location - right at the very aft and the views are wonderful.

I don't think you should have an issue with the garlic odours. The Canaletto is in the Wintergarten room which is part of the Lido but separated and has doors to enter so that helps protect it from odours. It also has windows that open :)

That's our place of choice to eat if we are doing the Lido and can get a seat. :)

The Canaletto on the Prinsendam is a separate room, once being a screened-in outside deck that was later enclosed.

If you use the aft elevator bank to get there, you won't even have to get near the food service area of the Lido.

Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. Thanks very much, ladies!

Next question, which I forgot to put in my original post. Do we need to pre-book or could we wait until we're onboard? We have OBC to use, and since the cost is in USD, I would prefer to wait until we're onboard (and know what evenings are gala nights).

Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. Thanks very much, ladies!

Next question, which I forgot to put in my original post. Do we need to pre-book or could we wait until we're onboard? We have OBC to use, and since the cost is in USD, I would prefer to wait until we're onboard (and know what evenings are gala nights).

For the Canaletto, in my experience, we never needed to pre book. You might need to be a tad flexible but it's not a sold out situation from the times we have been there.

For the Pinnacle, a different story, I would prebook if you want a specific day and time.

We had no problem getting a Canaletto reservation on the same day last time. I will be back on the EE in May and will be doing a live thread. I do plan on going to the Canaletto when the mood strikes and will ask earlier on how heavily it is booked and how far in advance we need to arrange.

If I forget to post the info - just ask and I will include it.

I did prebook our PG dinners, but the Canaletto I wait until I am on board. Some people do have the dine around package on this cruise (or Explore4) but I think we will still be ok, I hope.

Thanks, Kazu. Yes, I know to prebook the PG. We haven't decided if we're going to go there yet. DM isn't a fan. We may go for lunch instead. I think we'll try the Sel de Mer, though. But again, we'd like to use the OBC so will take our chances and book that onboard. (There are four evenings of Sel de Mer on our cruise.)

Thanks, Kazu. Yes, I know to prebook the PG. We haven't decided if we're going to go there yet. DM isn't a fan. We may go for lunch instead. I think we'll try the Sel de Mer, though. But again, we'd like to use the OBC so will take our chances and book that onboard. (There are four evenings of Sel de Mer on our cruise.)

You are most welcome.

With 4 Sel de Mer, I think you should be just fine. We have 4 on ours too. I pre-booked 2 but only because I know I don't have enough OBC for the entire cruise ;)

PG lunch on that ship has always been fabulous, but every dinner I have had on that ship in the PG has been too. So far, it has been the best PG in the fleet from our experience.

Hopefully, that remains the case in May & June ;) (yn)