tender in Edinburgh for a large ship? Line for castle with ticket July?

If our ship arrvies at 7am, how long would it take for tenders for a large (Princess) ship with 4000 passengers? 2 hours? we are not early risers, so if we get in line at 9, would the wait be almost over?

also, if we have already have a pass for the castle, how long will the line be in early July? Does a pass help us bypass any lines? So, if we get into Edi at 10:30ish, would we be better waiting until 2:30pm to see the castle vs. 10 am? Ship is in port 7-7. We need to be on the 4:42 Waverly train back to ship.

Edited by elaine5

Hello Elaine, I will try to answer your questions as I have been researching the same thing. We will be on Oceania Marina in Edinburgh on July 30. The Marina will be tendering from Newhaven Port in Edinburgh, and according to whatsinport.com it takes about 20 minutes to tender from the ship. It is difficult to know how long you will have to wait to get on board a tender; and also I am not sure that your ship will be at that port or a different one. Then you have to ride a shuttle to the end of the Royal Mile and make your way to the Castle which is on the other end of the street. So it could conceivably take you an hour or more to make your way to and from the castle. I emailed the castle regarding Fast Track entry and this is what they replied to me: Edinburgh Castle does not offer a 'Fast Track' option as there is only one entrance and exit. Pre-purchasing of tickets or passes will ensure that you do not have queue to purchase tickets upon arrival however there may be a short queue to enter the castle as well as to gain access to some of the areas inside the castle. Hope this helps.

If our ship arrvies at 7am, how long would it take for tenders for a large (Princess) ship with 4000 passengers? 2 hours? we are not early risers, so if we get in line at 9, would the wait be almost over?

also, if we have already have a pass for the castle, how long will the line be in early July? Does a pass help us bypass any lines? So, if we get into Edi at 10:30ish, would we be better waiting until 2:30pm to see the castle vs. 10 am? Ship is in port 7-7. We need to be on the 4:42 Waverly train back to ship.

I'm going to try to answer your question about the tender but it's not easy. You will be anchored off Queensferry as you know. It is very unusual for the tender operation to start at 7:00 as it can take time to manoeuvre the ship into position. The first tender is sent over without any passengers to pick up the Immigration officers, set up the pier etc. There is also a local vessel which acts as a tender and I seem to remember it starts about 8. When I'm on the pier I'd say the peak time for people arriving there is 9 - 10:30 but people disembark all morning. Usually by 11:30 things are quieter. However for the last 2 years we've had Caribbean Princess here and Royal is much bigger ship so it is really difficult (if not impossible) to be specific. I'll be on Royal as a speaker on her first Round Britain cruise this year so might be able to give you more specific information after that

The walk to the station (Dalmeny) takes around 15 minutes if you're reasonably fit, and there's 3 trains most hours.

I'm going to try to answer your question about the tender but it's not easy. You will be anchored off Queensferry as you know. It is very unusual for the tender operation to start at 7:00 as it can take time to manoeuvre the ship into position. The first tender is sent over without any passengers to pick up the Immigration officers, set up the pier etc. There is also a local vessel which acts as a tender and I seem to remember it starts about 8. When I'm on the pier I'd say the peak time for people arriving there is 9 - 10:30 but people disembark all morning. Usually by 11:30 things are quieter. However for the last 2 years we've had Caribbean Princess here and Royal is much bigger ship so it is really difficult (if not impossible) to be specific. I'll be on Royal as a speaker on her first Round Britain cruise this year so might be able to give you more specific information after that

The walk to the station (Dalmeny) takes around 15 minutes if you're reasonably fit, and there's 3 trains most hours.

We will also be on the May 1st sailing of the Royal and look forward to learning about options, and cost from the tender pier to Edinburgh. I am aware of using rail, but there are some on the ship for whom the stairs and walk uphill would be risky. Hoping to learn of shuttle/coach provided by locals as an alternative. Both DH and I were in Edinburgh two years ago and very much enjoyed our time there, returning next month to visit additional sites.

Darcy

We will also be on the May 1st sailing of the Royal and look forward to learning about options, and cost from the tender pier to Edinburgh. I am aware of using rail, but there are some on the ship for whom the stairs and walk uphill would be risky. Hoping to learn of shuttle/coach provided by locals as an alternative. Both DH and I were in Edinburgh two years ago and very much enjoyed our time there, returning next month to visit additional sites.

Darcy

We are on the June 6th sailing of the Royal and I hope you'll come back and share what you've learned. For what we have planned Edinburgh is our trickiest stop.

Thanks

Sandi

thank you all. please post back what you find out! It seems like with the tenders and crowds at Edi Castle, that we might want to skip the castle, esp. as we are going to Stirling castle. It sounds like we would be getting to Edi at the most crowded time and standing shoulder to shoulder with others might not be the best experience. Maybe we shuld get tickets to Holyrood instead--it will have just opened back up.

Darcy

There's lots of information about Edinburgh on CruiseCritic. Here is a thread I created showing how to use the shuttle bus, where it drops off etc. Our volunteers briefing is next week for the new season but I'm sure the shuttle bus will still be an option. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046842&highlight=shuttle+bus+edinburgh.

You're right in thinking that the train is not really an option for people with mobility issues but here's a link to the thread I created about using the train https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574&highlight=shuttle+bus+edinburgh

I will be boarding the ship in Invergordon on May 9th then doing my talk - my 'Insider's View of Edinburgh and Beyond' - on the ship on that evening. If you come I will be able to answer your questions face to face and share lots of photos about what to expect when you disembark, what to see and how to get there.

I will be boarding the ship in Invergordon on May 9th then doing my talk - my 'Insider's View of Edinburgh and Beyond' - on the ship on that evening. If you come I will be able to answer your questions face to face and share lots of photos about what to expect when you disembark, what to see and how to get there.

Is May 9th your only talk or will you be aboard June 14th also?

We are on the June 6th sailing of the Royal and I hope you'll come back and share what you've learned. For what we have planned Edinburgh is our trickiest stop.

Thanks

Sandi

If you look at the post above you will I have given links to two threads I created to help cruisers who need to get from South Queensferry and I will be updating them when the new season gets underway but there won't too many changes. Edinburgh is a very walkable city as it is so compact and therefore easy to visit the main sights. What specifically would you like to know to make sure you enjoy your visit ?

If you look at the post above you will I have given links to two threads I created to help cruisers who need to get from South Queensferry and I will be updating them when the new season gets underway but there won't too many changes. Edinburgh is a very walkable city as it is so compact and therefore easy to visit the main sights. What else can I help you with?

I'm reading above posts right now (again.) But it always helps to get fresh info. :) I think the Princess ship that did this cruise last year was smaller, so I'm especially interested in approx time we will actually get to the dock (and I know it depends on how many Elites etc we have to get in line behind) and the best way to get back to dock from Edinburgh, late afternoon. Not necessarily the least expensive but the method that would usually be the fastest or most reliable and how long we should plan on the trip being.

We have a private excursion to St. Andrews (DHs bucket list) and will be dropped in Edinburgh for 2-3 hours and will need to make our own way back to ship.

Thanks for your help, it makes my planning much easier to have the CC resources to help.

Sandi

You can count on our attending your presentation on the 9th! I look forward to meeting you and personally thanking you for your willingness to share your wealth of knowledge here on CC.

If you learn of any updates regarding shuttles to the city, please let us know so we can plan accordingly. While I have no problem with lengthy flights of stairs and up hill climbs, some passengers will find this physically challenging, thus my question about the shuttle.

Darcy

We will be in Edinburgh in August, so I will be following this thread in hopes that those of you going in May will have some updates for us. We plan on using the train, weather permitting, as the Tattoo and the Fringe are going on while we are there and I am guessing traffic will be heavy. Therefore the train may be our quickest / easiest way to get into Edinburgh.

tartanexile81

, will you be doing any other visits/lectures this year on board? We will be on the Celebrity Eclipse in August.

Is May 9th your only talk or will you be aboard June 14th also?

We will be in Edinburgh in August, so I will be following this thread in hopes that those of you going in May will have some updates for us. We plan on using the train, weather permitting, as the Tattoo and the Fringe are going on while we are there and I am guessing traffic will be heavy. Therefore the train may be our quickest / easiest way to get into Edinburgh.

tartanexile81

, will you be doing any other visits/lectures this year on board? We will be on the Celebrity Eclipse in August.

There is a Scottish speaker on every Princess Round Britain cruise as part of their Celtic Connections programme. Sometimes it is a volunteer from the Greenock group who gives all the Scottish talks so they're necessarily more general. The volunteers from our group are doing half of the talks. We join the shipping Invergordon, run an info desk in the atrium the following morning then disembark later. My talk is focused on the area around Edinburgh and with lots of practical info about Edinburgh too I hope. Don't know what Celebrity does but we're not involved

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

This is probably another tartanexile81 directed question but if others have thoughts/experiences, i’d appreciate hearing them.

We are on HAL Konigsdam (HALs biggest ship) arriving South Queensferry on August 7th and leaving August 8th. I am curious what the guesstimate is as to actual tender time from the ship to the pier (length of time actually spent riding in the tender) and the reverse. I realize that there are lots of variables but wonder if someone has thoughts on this.

Thank you

We were on the Caribbean Princess last year. It carries around 400 fewer passengers that the Royal Princess, which is one of the Princess ships doing the British isles this summer. I booked our tickets for Edinburgh Castle for the 9:30-10:00 slot. We were on the third tender and walked up the stairs to the train station in town. It was £9.20 for the two of us to take the train into the city and back. Princess offered a shuttle bus from the pier that was £10 per person (or $15) roundtrip.

The castle opened at 9:30, so we were among the first ones through. At that time, the queue for people who had not prepurchased tickets was not too bad. By the time we left, it was quite long—as were the lines for the crown jewels. Head to see them first to avoid a long wait.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last year. It carries around 400 fewer passengers that the Royal Princess, which is one of the Princess ships doing the British isles this summer. I booked our tickets for Edinburgh Castle for the 9:30-10:00 slot. We were on the third tender and walked up the stairs to the train station in town. It was £9.20 for the two of us to take the train into the city and back. Princess offered a shuttle bus from the pier that was £10 per person (or $15) roundtrip.

The castle opened at 9:30, so we were among the first ones through. At that time, the queue for people who had not prepurchased tickets was not too bad. By the time we left, it was quite long—as were the lines for the crown jewels. Head to see them first to avoid a long wait.

Do you have Elite status or another status that gets you to the front of the tender line?

Thanks

For those following this thread I have now posted about a new shuttle bus that has been introduced this year. It will be waiting at the top of the pier and costs £6 round trip. It holds 80 passengers and I've been assured they will go when they're full, at least every 20 minutes probably less. This is the new thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2626769

Do you have Elite status or another status that gets you to the front of the tender line?
We do. But when we went, they were letting everyone in the dining room go on the next tender.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there last July with a Princess ship. Some people in our party got the tender ticket at 7:55am. They took the train at around 9:30am. There was still a line but it wasn't too bad. They got into the castle at around 10:30am.

Other people in our party left the cruise later (around 9), and took the shuttle bus. They got into the castle in the usual line (they didn't pre-purchase tickets). They still had plenty of time to walk around inside. They didn't have as much time to see the rest of the town, but they were more leisurely in the castle.

If I were to go again, I would not have cut it so close catching the train back to the ship in the late afternoon. We got mixed up with the platforms and didn't realize we would need to add-fare to our tickets (since off-peak morning fare round-trip tickets were less expensive, and we were returning during rush hour - you need to talk to one of the roving ticketing agents). We ended up on a later train back than expected, so it was more stressful. We still had time to spare, but I usually like to leave lots of time. That's great there's a new, more convenient shuttle this year.

I was there last July with a Princess ship. Some people in our party got the tender ticket at 7:55am. They took the train at around 9:30am. There was still a line but it wasn't too bad. They got into the castle at around 10:30am.

Other people in our party left the cruise later (around 9), and took the shuttle bus. They got into the castle in the usual line (they didn't pre-purchase tickets). They still had plenty of time to walk around inside. They didn't have as much time to see the rest of the town, but they were more leisurely in the castle.

If I were to go again, I would not have cut it so close catching the train back to the ship in the late afternoon. We got mixed up with the platforms and didn't realize we would need to add-fare to our tickets (since off-peak morning fare round-trip tickets were less expensive, and we were returning during rush hour - you need to talk to one of the roving ticketing agents). We ended up on a later train back than expected, so it was more stressful. We still had time to spare, but I usually like to leave lots of time. That's great there's a new, more convenient shuttle this year.

I appreciate the information about the train. Did you have a schedule for the return trip, or did you just go to the train station and wait for the next train. We are leaning towards taking the train, as the website for the new HOHO shuttle says its about a 45 minute trip to the city. In August, during the Tattoo and the Fringe I am thinking there will be even more traffic. So train may be quicker. Did you have any issues with the steps? We are late 60's, early 70's but have no problem with walking. Unless it's raining!! That could be a game changer. Were there a lot of people waiting for the trains, both going and coming back? Any chance of it being full and having to wait for the next train?

Thanks again for posting!

I appreciate the information about the train. Did you have a schedule for the return trip, or did you just go to the train station and wait for the next train. We are leaning towards taking the train, as the website for the new HOHO shuttle says its about a 45 minute trip to the city. In August, during the Tattoo and the Fringe I am thinking there will be even more traffic. So train may be quicker. Did you have any issues with the steps? We are late 60's, early 70's but have no problem with walking. Unless it's raining!! That could be a game changer. Were there a lot of people waiting for the trains, both going and coming back? Any chance of it being full and having to wait for the next train?

Thanks again for posting!

I have no trouble walking, Insanita and do at least an hour a day but I find the 120 steps very challenging. I did it the other day and felt really uncomfortable by the time I got to the top. There has been no waiting for the new shuttle bus and 45 minutes is the max it will take and usually less. It could take at least 45 minutes to go by train - 15 minutes walking, maybe 15 minutes waiting for a train and 20 minutes into Edinburgh. As blakejared found out there is also the question of the ticket. Peak time tickets (i.e. until 9:15 and after 16:15) costs£8.40 return. If you travel after 9:15 it is cheaper but also you have to travel back earlier.

There will not be a problem coming back from Edinburgh and you will definitely get on the train, no matter how many other people are on it. The problem is more likely to be in the morning. Commuters have been complaining recently that the trains are too small and when they're full they're not stopping at stations later along the line

Looking at a photo of the steps might help you to gauge whether you can walk up. In a different, older thread, tartanexile81 posted some photos of the stairs (I actually used that thread to research how to get to the train station last year... thanks tartanexile81!):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574

The trains weren't that full, either in the morning or in the afternoon. Our rookie mistake was not getting a schedule for the return train trip. We should have found out the times before we left the station in Edinburgh, but we were in a hurry to get to the Castle in case the lines were long!

Tartanexile81 raises a good point about the time. It does take 15 minutes to walk from the docks to the train station through a forested trail. We did wait for the train for about 10 minutes. And the train station up to the castle itself was another 15 minutes uphill. It might be worth it to consider conserving energy for walking around Edinburgh itself.