Nieuw Amsterdam dining bookings

ncc1701d

Hi all

First time ever cruising and bring elderly mom along to Alaska. Given her preference we would like to request set times for dinner in MDR. Can we do that in advance or must be done on first day? I have read mixed posts about wait times and no wait times, no not sure which is more likely to happen.

Thanks

The dining time would have been assigned when you booked. Take a look at your confirmation documents or your online booking. If you have anytime dining then you should speak to the dining room manager upon boarding. You will be allowed to reserve a specific time up to 3 days in advance.

Thank you Miss G for the speedy and great reply. My book document says "confirmed Main, request table for 2". That sounds like fixed time but no actual time was listed??
Main is 8:00 usually, but I think that varies on some itineraries or ships. (We do Open seating now and haven't paid attention to what the Fixed times were.)

Oh very good. So you do have a set time then. Usually Main dining is approximately 8:00 pm, though it can vary 15 minutes before or after the hour. Someone will be along to confirm, I'm sure. The time will be printed on your cruise card when you board. If you would like to change it to the earlier seating (usually about 5:30pm) then speak with your travel agent or request a change from the dining room manager when you board. You may find early dining a little rushed to get to, however, on port days, but there are plenty of options. Have a wonderful cruise with your Mom!

I should also mention that with fixed dining you do not have to stand in the line where people are waiting for a table. That is for Anytime diners. Stay to your right and go on through the right-hand set of doors where there is no line.

Wonderful. Thank you everyone. I think we'll stick to this, and maybe bail out one night if the show is of interest so we can just eat in Lido and then get to the show

Shows will be scheduled such that you don't have to miss dinner.

• 1 month later...

I'm used to being waitlisted for early seating or late seating, but why would BOTH seatings be waitlisted? We're booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Panama Canal repositioning in October. When booking with our travel agent (there are four of us - two couples) we didn't have a huge preference for early or late seating only that it was traditional. She said both was waitlisted and we were only allowed to pick one so we're waiting for 2nd seating.

I'm used to being waitlisted for early seating or late seating, but why would BOTH seatings be waitlisted? We're booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Panama Canal repositioning in October. When booking with our travel agent (there are four of us - two couples) we didn't have a huge preference for early or late seating only that it was traditional. She said both was waitlisted and we were only allowed to pick one so we're waiting for 2nd seating.

By any chance are you doing a full cruise where there are several segments? (Often called a collectors' cruise).

We have hit the same thing in those scenarios.

For some reason, they let the different segments choose and the full segment is waitlisted on those cruises.

On the first one, I was waitlisted and still assigned my fixed dining by the time we were on board.

On the second one, I contacted shipboard services and asked why those who were staying on longer seemed to be penalized since we were waitlisted and the others on the shorter segments could have their assigned dining times. I received a confirmation back for my fixed dining time ;)

I just checked my booking for next year which is also a collectors' cruise and we are wait listed for main dining :(. I'll pursue that when we get closer to the time. ;)

Edited by kazu

By any chance are you doing a full cruise where there are several segments? (Often called a collectors' cruise).

We have hit the same thing in those scenarios.

For some reason, they let the different segments choose and the full segment is waitlisted on those cruises.

On the first one, I was waitlisted and still assigned my fixed dining by the time we were on board.

On the second one, I contacted shipboard services and asked why those who were staying on longer seemed to be penalized since we were waitlisted and the others on the shorter segments could have their assigned dining times. I received a confirmation back for my fixed dining time ;)

I just checked my booking for next year which is also a collectors' cruise and we are wait listed for main dining :(. I'll pursue that when we get closer to the time. ;)

There are two different embark cities - Vancouver and San Diego; we're joining in San Diego; maybe that's it. We're three months away so perhaps it'll get straightened out.

Booked on NA Alaska, have early confirmed seating. Having second thoughts because we plan to eat 3 or 4 specialty dinners, maybe room service and might be out later in ports. Should we switch to anytime? Try to change to main seating on board? If we miss are fixed, to they let you dine anytime later?

Booked on NA Alaska, have early confirmed seating. Having second thoughts because we plan to eat 3 or 4 specialty dinners, maybe room service and might be out later in ports. Should we switch to anytime? Try to change to main seating on board? If we miss are fixed, to they let you dine anytime later?

In those circumstances, I'd switch to anytime dining. I doubt if there will be any trouble switching even if you do it the first day aboard at the dining room. I frequently cruise with a group of friends and everyone mostly prefers the anytime so they don't have to rush back onboard from ports. I'm just an 'old person' :) and prefer a set time, table and server when cruising.

I doubt if there will be any trouble switching even if you do it the first day aboard at the dining room.
Before resting on that expectation, it would be advisable to know what groups are booked on your cruise (and foresee what groups will later book your cruise, using your crystal ball). For our upcoming cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, we received the following messages:
We would like to advise you of a change to the open seating option offered in

the main dining room aboard the ms Nieuw Amsterdam sailing on June 30, 2018.

Open seating will be offered as normal; however, due to the number of guests

requesting to dine at 5:30pm, available seating will be limited until 7:30pm.

Should you wish to dine early and space is not available in the dining room,

complimentary dining is always available in the Lido Market, or for a

nominal fee we invite you to make reservations at our Canaletto, Tamarind or

Pinnacle Grill Restaurants. We regret any disappointment this change may cause.

requesting to dine at 5:30pm, available seating will be limited until 7:30pm.

Should you wish to dine early and space is not available in the dining room,

requesting to dine at 8:00pm, available seating will be limited after 6:30pm.

Should you wish to dine later and space is not available in the dining room,

(I'm impressed that they sent it to us three times - just to be sure that we received it. :))

I suspect passengers looking to switch to traditional seating on our cruise will be disappointed.

Edited by bUU

UPDATED: Uh, I misread that third notice - I thought it was identical to the first two but it is not! Good thing I posted all three in the post above and reread what I posted, because otherwise I wouldn't have noticed!! The first two notices say that, "due to the number of guests requesting to dine at 5:30pm, available seating will be limited until 7:30pm." The third notice, received just 11 days after the second notice, says, "due to the number of guests requesting to dine at 8:00pm, available seating will be limited after 6:30pm."

I no longer suspect passengers looking to switch to traditional seating on our cruise will be disappointed. I'm sure of it.