how to get from New Yorker hotel to the museum of natural history

thesawch

We are staying at the New Yorker Hotel on 8th ave close to MSG. My kids decided we should check out the museum of natural history (forget the exact name) and was wondering if anyone can tell me before hand which subway to take and little info on using the subways. We have never been on a subway before. The only day we can check the museum out is on Sunday july 24th. Thanks from Canada in advance for any or all info .

Here are two useful sites.

http://www.newyorkpass.com/subway-metrocard.aspx?aid=8&gclid=CO7WvOnV4qkCFZV25QodA1LGXQ

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm (plus other info on main part of site)

It's very easy - there is a subway station at 34th & 8th. You would take the "C" subway uptown to 81st St which is the Museum stop. Coming back you would take the "C" train downtown to 34th St.

Bus is also an option - you would get to see more. Here's the bus map - http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf The uptown bus is not as convenient to your hotel - you would have to walk over to 10th Ave. and take the #11 bus to W. 79st St and Amsterdam Ave (10th Ave renamed above 59th St) or take the #104 bus uptown on 8th Ave. to Broadway and 79th St and walk east 2 blocks to 79th and Columbus (9th Ave renamed above 59th St). It's easier going back to your hotel - take the #7 or #11 bus on Columbus Ave downtown to 34th & 7th or 34th and 9th and walk one block to your hotel. The #7 bus will go right through Times Square.

Here's the museum web site - http://www.amnh.org/visitors/ Hours are 10 am to 5:45 on a Sunday.

I'll leave it to the New Yorkers to explain the strategies for buying and using a Metrocard. Basically a single ride is $2.50. If you buy a multiple ride card there is a discount. I think there is a limit of 4 people traveling on a single card. Cards can be purchased in ticket vending machines which are located in all the subway stations. If you're going to ride the bus, pop down into the subway station to prepurchase your metrocard before you get on the bus.

Free transfers are allowed where subway lines intersect (check the map). Metrocard transfers to a bus are allowed within 2 hours (subway to bus or bus to bus). This can be useful if you're going somewhere not close to a subway station.

You don't need to take the C train, you can take the A train which is an express, it also stops at 81st.

Here's how you do it.

Go into Penn Station (under MSG) and follow the signs for the "A" train uptown. It's on the west side of the station, but there are plenty of signs so you'll easily find it. Look for the words "Subway" and and "Uptown" and the blue circle with the letter "A" in it.

As you approach the turnstile you'll see a booth with a ticket agent as well as vending machines mounted on the wall. Some vending machines only take cash, others take cash and credit/debit cards. Rides are $2.50 each. Buy a $20 card, you will get a bonus, but not enough to get a free ride--you might want to offer the card with the $1.40 left on it to someone when you are done using it.

Proceed to the turnstile, swipe the card and have the first person go through. Repeat until everyone is on the track side platform. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE SIDE FOR UPTOWN!

Stand behind the yellow line and wait for the train. Verify it has a blue circle and an A on it before you enter--you'll see the letter on the front of the train as well as on the side of each car on a sign near the front door. And don't be afraid to ask, New Yorkers are actually a pretty friendly and helpful bunch.

When you get to 81st Street, get off the train and follow the signs to the museum entrance.

On the way back find the "A" DOWNTOWN platform and do the same thing, swiping the card and letting each person through the turnstile.

Get off at Penn Station.

Easy peasy!

Check the mta map & have a conversation with the concierge at the hotel with the map in front of you.

If you don't like subways (I'm not crazy about them) you may also be able to take a city bus to stay above ground but deal with traffic or pay for a cab.

Walking 50 blocks is also an option if you are up for it.

You don't need to take the C train, you can take the A train which is an express, it also stops at 81st.

Not Always!!. A train is an express train making express stops, it only make local stops late night or sometimes on the weekends. A train stops at the following when it does the express run:

125st

59 Street-Columbus Circle

42 Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal

34 Street-Penn Station

The C train is a local stop, making all stops all the time during the day:

81 Street- Museum of Natural History

50 Street

34 Street-Penn Station

Check the MTA website for the each train. A train information can be found here: http://mta.info/nyct/service/aline.htm and the C train information can be found here: http://mta.info/nyct/service/cline.htm

Ideally, the best bet for traveling during the day is the C train or Bus

(note: I see a lot of lost and confused traveling getting mixed up with express train thinking they will stop at every station nearly everyday)

Go to Hopstop.com. Put in the address of the hotel. It will give you explicit instructions, even walking directions. Check off subway and also bus. It will list all the stops you will pass before you get to your stop. Watch the stops pass so you will know when your stop is next. The Museum is wonderful, and directly across the street is Central Park, and the section "Strawberry Fields" if you are a John Lennon fan. Your hotel is on the West side of Manhattan, and so is the Museum of Natural History. It is a straight path if you take the subway, bus, or walk.

Not Always!!. A train is an express train making express stops, it only make local stops late night or sometimes on the weekends. A train stops at the following when it does the express run:

125st

34 Street-Penn Station

The C train is a local stop, making all stops all the time during the day:

81 Street- Museum of Natural History

50 Street

34 Street-Penn Station

Check the MTA website for the each train. A train information can be found here: http://mta.info/nyct/service/aline.htm and the C train information can be found here: http://mta.info/nyct/service/cline.htm

Ideally, the best bet for traveling during the day is the C train or Bus

(note: I see a lot of lost and confused traveling getting mixed up with express train thinking they will stop at every station nearly everyday)

I stand corrected. They want the C train. The rest remains the same.

The uptown bus is not as convenient to your hotel.

Sorry, this is simply not true. There is a bus stop on the north side of 34th Street and 8th Avenue, directly across the street from the New Yorker Hotel. All they have to do is take the M20 to Columbus Circle at the southwest corner of Central Park and transfer to the M10 which will drop them off across the street from the Museum's main entrance at 79th Street and Central Park West. To get back they can take the C train (CPW at 81st Street) or the M7 or M11 buses down Columbus Avenue (1 block west of CPW). The 7 runs more frequently than the 11, but the 11 will take them through a residential area filled with interesting restaurants from 81st through 42nd.

• 9 months later...

We recently spent two days in NYC post cruise and used the subway a fair amount, including the exact route you are talking about.

I grew up in Toronto and could not believe how fast the subway got us from point A to point B. The three or four stops I assumed would take a lot longer were over in a flash. Once you are used to the system (and I second asking for a map at the ticket booth), it is so easy. I was really impressed. Two things I didn't like-no childrens fare for 6-12 year olds-it got spendy and we walked sometimes to avoid the 15 dollar subway fare, and few escalators/elevators. I can't imagine being elderly or physically challenged and trying to navigate the subway.

You'll love the museum. It is huge-took us about 3 hours and we didn't see it all. Skip the IMAX movie-nothing like Ontario Place. Just a regular theater. I wish we had done one of the other add ons instead.

Just to add the C train is a "short" train it is not the normal 600ft train so make sure you are in the middle of the platform. That said they sometimes run a full length C train, again all depending on equipment.

If I remember correctly you can even enter the Museum's lower level from one of the 81st Platforms.

Archived