ny port authority to cruise port on 12th ave. question

kokopops

4 or 5 avenues (longer than city blocks) and about 6 city blocks depending on what exit you come out of. Not really a long walk. I have walked it from 39th and 12th so you're adding about 4 or 5 avenues to that walk. If you have not much luggage it's good but you can grab a cab for about $7 or so also.

I agree, not far, as we were just there a month ago, but much longer as you will be towing luggage.

I believe it is the New Jersey Bus Terminal, isn't it?

It is the Port Authority Bus Terminal but yes it is where the NJ Buses come and go if that is what you meant.

I would take a taxi

Two things. . .most NY'rs call the bus terminal "the Port Authority". so if you are asking directions on the street just say "where is the Port Authority".

It is amusing to read all the responses that say don't walk, take a cab, don't take public transportation. Meanwhile, on the Europe ports of call board, all of the locals think you are crazy if you take a cab and waste money. To go from Copenhagen airport to the cruise port they want you to take the train and then walk ten blocks. :)

I'm one of those who would opt for walking, IF a) you're not weighed down by steamer trunks & such baggage & 2) the weather isn't too steamy & you don't have to dodge lightning bolts or risk drowning in a deluge.

Indeed, I've done it numerous times, from various points in Manhattan, including the Port Authority terminal and (a somewhat longer walk) Penn Station.

Best/easiest walking option would be to exit the Port Authority building at the northwest corner (9th Ave & 42nd Street), cross 42nd & walk due west toward the Hudson River. Cross 12th Ave & walk due north, parallel to the Hudson, to the entrance to the particular pier from which your barky happens to be sailing--say, around 50th Street, give or take a block or two.

From door to door, it's about a mile or slightly more. On a good day, without luggage, I might be able to do it in 15 minutes. Allowing for traffic lights when crossing streets, and for the drag effect of luggage, I'd say 30 minutes is a realistic guesstimate of your travel time on foot.

Two things. . .most NY'rs call the bus terminal "the Port Authority". so if you are asking directions on the street just say "where is the Port Authority".

It is amusing to read all the responses that say don't walk, take a cab, don't take public transportation. Meanwhile, on the Europe ports of call board, all of the locals think you are crazy if you take a cab and waste money. To go from Copenhagen airport to the cruise port they want you to take the train and then walk ten blocks. :)

Many "real" New Yorkers call it the Port Of Authority...;):p

The original name of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey when it was formed in 1921 was the Port of New York Authority. I suppose they could have found a more awkward wording if they'd really worked at it...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived