Jewel pool policing

Just back off the Jewel. Service was great. Menu change is excellent and long overdue. The one serious complaint- pool staff do not police kids in the pool with diapers. More than once we noticed this but the staff was never attending to it. We mentioned it to an officer and she went over to the mother who was not at all happy. Since there is a kids pool, this should not be allowed and should be frequently monitored. With all the concern with handwashing etc, I would think this revolting situation would be clearly a health concern to the ship

I woul definitely brought it to the attention of guest services and insisted that the pool be monitored. Very serious issues with a pool that is not treated like land based pools.

We've been on Jewel twice this year and I have to agree there has been some change in management for those responsible for the pool areas. We went on Jewel in December and the pool police were a little too strict. As noted in MrFunintheSun's review, no one was allowed to have a drink near or in a pool regardless of whether it was in a glass container or a plastic container. There was always at least one pool attendant nearby enforcing this rule and the waiters wouldn't even acknowledge you if you were in a pool or hot tub. This was a bit much and not like any other RCI boat we've been on. Put a damper on pool time to be sure.

Fast forward to May, we just got off Jewel and it was completely different. You could once again have a drink in the pool hot tub as long as it wasn't in a glass container, which is I believe what the rule really requires. However, as noted by OP, the pendulum has swung too far and I did also notice that not only were drinks allowed, several times I saw kids in diapers in regular pools. ick.

I will say that they were still maintaining them quite well as I'm usually up quite late and they were always working on something and I saw the main pool drained completely and then shocked (and thus closed) for much of the night and part of the next day. Not sure if the shocking had anything to do with the diaper problem.

We too were on board the Jewel with "geomoe", did a 5 night then a 4 night and returned May 6th. Sounds like you were on the ship as well.

Let me add a little more to the diaper scenario. We always are up on the pool deck just prior to 7:00AM. On the occasions of the diaper clad children with their mothers holding them swishing them up and down in the adult pool there was also another safety hazard during the evening.

A passenger made it known that he saw two young males intoxicated by the pool at 2:00AM and one broke a clear beer bottle (Corona) and tossed it in the pool. At 8:00 AM he got the attention of a deck person after he dove into the pool and retrieved the broken bottle to give it to them to dispose. On this occasion was the same time that a mother had her infant in the pool with the diaper. NOTHING was mentioned to her until a complaint was made to an officer. When the mother got out of the pool she stormed over to the towel guy and complained that she had every right to be in the pool with her baby as anyone else. There was a lot of lax on the part of the staff of policing the area. No doubt the two intoxicated males who threw the bottle in the pool were under video surveillance but nothing was done further.

Oh yes, one more thing the pool was drained and vacuumed, BUT could NOT be emptied until we left the dock at Cozumel because of laws prohibiting waste water while docked. So the pool got emptied, vacuumed, refilled and chlorinated. But had it not been from the broken glass incident unless there was a "floatie" spotted in the water it probably wouldn't have been done.

Archived