Taking a Uhaul to Allure

Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this question, but we are going to taking either a Uhaul or a truck and trailer to haul our group's luggage to the port for our cruise on Allure. We intend to leave the vehicle parked at the port parking all week and reload it with the luggage for the trip home. Has anyone done this before? I'm sure there is ample parking for either configuration we end up with, and unloading the luggage when we arrive shouldn't be too hard other than probably needing a couple porters and carts. But getting off the ship is what I'm concerned with. Obviously they aren't going to let us just pull up to the door and park while we wait for everyone to get off the boat and bring their luggage to the uhaul. But what options are there? Is there a nearby staging area that we could park like where(I'm assuming) shuttles and busses pick up people, or would they not let you do that? What about an area that we could just stack all of the luggage as people come out and then bring the uhaul to load it when we have it all there. I've been on cruises and know that it's a bit of a madhouse at disembark time. And I have no doubt that between the time the first person in our group gets off and the time the last person gets off, there will probably be at least an hour window no matter how well we plan it. I just would like to have a plan in place so we don't get some port worker or manager mad at us and us have a complete mess on our hands. I'm sure someone has gone through this before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I sailed on the Allure in February of 2012 with my sister, BIL, and two nephews. We were out on the balcony watching people arrive and we saw several large groups that arrived in buses and trailer with luggage. One in particular had a short bus and a large pickup pulling a trailer about the size of a small uhaul trailer. They pulled up to the curb where any cars can drop off people. All of the people got off of the bus and went to the trailer to get their individual luggage. We watched them sorting it out. I guess they did that so that each person would have their own carry-ons when they entered the building. The area where the trailer was parked was in the area that everyone unloads, so there were plenty of porters with carts nearby. The gave all of their checked bags to the porters and filled up several of those large carts. The driver of the bus and truck then drove to the nearby parking lot and parked lengthwise across several parking spots. Then they all walked to the terminal entrance. We noticed that as we were sailing away, the bus and truck with trailer were still parked in the same spot, so I assume they just did the exact reverse when they got off of the ship at the end of the week.

There was a large area where buses and shuttles usually park to pick up people. I guess it would be possible for the drivers to exit the ship earlier than the others and walk to the vehicles to park in one of these spots to wait for everybody else. I just don't know if you would need to speak to someone when you arrive to ask if you can just do that or if you need permission. I did see a different small bus in that area picking up people when we left, but I didn't notice if they were putting their luggage on it or were using a separate trailer. It looked like a small school bus or church bus and I don't think they have underneath storage areas.

I just have to ask...how many people (and how much luggage?) do you have that you need a Uhaul to get it all there? ;)

The hotels have big shuttles, many haul trailers behind them so getting all your luggage there shouldn't be a problem. Presumably everyone in the group is getting there somehow as well?

OMG!

Just laughing!

At first read I thought you were talking about my adorable hubby. HE is the unlikely cloths horse in the family. When we cruise he brings his 2 favorite bags......Bumba and Big Blue. And the poor ship when we DRIVE to the port! He FILLS the car.

Now, add our friend, Lou who will join us in Alaska this summer. He brings a bag called.....The Motherload.

We are renting a car to drive around and it has to be BIG....because of their luggage!

When they put our bags in our aft-facing cabin, the bow of the ship lifts out of the water....hahaha.

Sorry to hijack your notes. I now return control of the thread.

Thanks for the laugh!

I would just find a nearby lot with a shuttle. Park the Uhaul in the lot, and then every person is responsible for getting their own luggage onto the shuttle and then onto the ship. Then as they get off the ship at the end of the week, they collect their own luggage, shuttle back to the lot, and meet back at the Uhaul location.

I would just find a nearby lot with a shuttle. Park the Uhaul in the lot, and then every person is responsible for getting their own luggage onto the shuttle and then onto the ship. Then as they get off the ship at the end of the week, they collect their own luggage, shuttle back to the lot, and meet back at the Uhaul location.

What a great suggestion. And just to add…. We recently used Park N Go and were very pleased.

OP There is more parking info on the Florida departure threads.

good luck

M

OMG!

Just laughing!

At first read I thought you were talking about my adorable hubby. HE is the unlikely cloths horse in the family. When we cruise he brings his 2 favorite bags......Bumba and Big Blue. And the poor ship when we DRIVE to the port! He FILLS the car.

Now, add our friend, Lou who will join us in Alaska this summer. He brings a bag called.....The Motherload.

We are renting a car to drive around and it has to be BIG....because of their luggage!

When they put our bags in our aft-facing cabin, the bow of the ship lifts out of the water....hahaha.

Sorry to hijack your notes. I now return control of the thread.

Thanks for the laugh!

A little more backstory, so everyone can understand our situation. We are coming from Cincinnati with a group(for now) of about 40 people. With each person likely having two bags, thats at least 80 bags. We are driving the luggage down in a uhaul mainly to avoid the airline baggage fees. It would be about $5000 to fly just the bags, so it is much cheaper to just have someone drive the luggage to FL. It also is nicer for those who overpack not having to worry about forcing everything into two bags so they can get on a plane. People will be getting off the cruise and taking a shuttle straight to the airport, so the bags need to get on the uhaul before they leave the port.

After reading through this thread, the suggestion of just letting them take their own bags to the uhaul in the parking lot might be the best bet. Not sure why I hadn't looked before, but I just took a loot at Google maps and that will probably work. I didn't realize how close the parking was to the port. Of course I will check with the port directly in the last few weeks before the cruise to make sure their policies will allow that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

A little more backstory, so everyone can understand our situation. We are coming from Cincinnati with a group(for now) of about 40 people. With each person likely having two bags, thats at least 80 bags. We are driving the luggage down in a uhaul mainly to avoid the airline baggage fees. It would be about $5000 to fly just the bags, so it is much cheaper to just have someone drive the luggage to FL. It also is nicer for those who overpack not having to worry about forcing everything into two bags so they can get on a plane. People will be getting off the cruise and taking a shuttle straight to the airport, so the bags need to get on the uhaul before they leave the port.

After reading through this thread, the suggestion of just letting them take their own bags to the uhaul in the parking lot might be the best bet. Not sure why I hadn't looked before, but I just took a loot at Google maps and that will probably work. I didn't realize how close the parking was to the port. Of course I will check with the port directly in the last few weeks before the cruise to make sure their policies will allow that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

OH. Okay this makes much more sense now. I was laughing at the first post and my suggestion was simply "maybe you are overpacking" :D

parking an unattended U-Haul for a week in a public lot these days may be a problem. how long you figure it's going to take to drive from Cincy in a loaded U-haul?

hope someone doesn't cream your U-Haul on the way down.

I'll if you really want to save money you could charter a Bus to haul 40 people and luggage to FL.

The porters usually have carts, I definitely think bringing a UHaul that close to the secure area isn't going to fly.

I dont' think that is the issue. Parking and permits may be the issue. Many companies offer transfers from hotels for groups and they use the same trailers like the one I used last May. But can anyone drive up there and will port parking have space?

We've got at least one, probably two people that refuse to fly, so they were going to drive anyway. I wouldn't mind the drive down, but no way I'd want to get off a seven day cruise then get in a truck for that drive. lol

Its about 16 hours in a car. We are figuring on another 4 hours on the "uhaul factor". He is going to leave two days early anyway to, hopefully, have time to deal with any problems on the drive. As it stands, we may end up doing a truck and trailer though as we may have access to an enclosed trailer. Would be cheaper and a much more comfortable drive.

I am slightly concerned about leaving everything parked at the port for a week, but it seems like they do at least have some security presence, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

We've got at least one, probably two people that refuse to fly, so they were going to drive anyway. I wouldn't mind the drive down, but no way I'd want to get off a seven day cruise then get in a truck for that drive. lol

Its about 16 hours in a car. We are figuring on another 4 hours on the "uhaul factor". He is going to leave two days early anyway to, hopefully, have time to deal with any problems on the drive. As it stands, we may end up doing a truck and trailer though as we may have access to an enclosed trailer. Would be cheaper and a much more comfortable drive.

I am slightly concerned about leaving everything parked at the port for a week, but it seems like they do at least have some security presence, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I would also be concerned about leaving a loaded trailer in a hotel parking lot for two nights. Pretty easy to break into and ruin 40+ people's vacations.

This is what I would do... Call the port parking number (see the link above). Explain the situation and I'd just take all the luggage to the port... the porters will check it in. MAKE SURE EVERYONE HAS LUGGAGE TAGS ALREADY ATTACHED. Then... when everyone else who is sailing with you arrives at the port, they can just board. It isn't like an airlines. People do not have to be with their luggage. BUT you would have to have prior permission to do this. Otherwise, your truck will have great difficulty getting through security. Good luck. Good plan. Hope it works.

I drive to Daytona in 14 hours of 'seat time' from close to Columbus. I drive at least the speed limit plus 5 and only have to stop for gas in VA and again around 26 and 95 to top up and spend the night. Which is what google estimates. No way will a U-Haul be driving anywhere close to 70+mph and only stop twice for gasoline. Particularly if whomever is driving in not an over the road trucker. traffic on 75 is much worse then 77. I would allow at least an extra 8 and that would be close. be sure they are careful to time when they will be driving through Atlanta.

Parking the U Haul is one thing, but where are you going to park the greyhound bus?

you don't rent a Greyhound bus and drive it yourself. I'm sure the charter company and drivers will know where/how to take care of the bus.

driving the U-Haul down might be an adventure.. but, driving it back is going to really suck! the 2 folks (I hope 2) who get stuck driving down will be lucky to be able to walk the first couple of days.

have fun..

Parking the U Haul is one thing, but where are you going to park the greyhound bus?

We are just chartering from the airport the port. If the charter co parks it there, that's their problem. lol

I drive to Daytona in 14 hours of 'seat time' from close to Columbus. I drive at least the speed limit plus 5 and only have to stop for gas in VA and again around 26 and 95 to top up and spend the night. Which is what google estimates. No way will a U-Haul be driving anywhere close to 70+mph and only stop twice for gasoline. Particularly if whomever is driving in not an over the road trucker. traffic on 75 is much worse then 77. I would allow at least an extra 8 and that would be close. be sure they are careful to time when they will be driving through Atlanta.

75 is a much better route than the 77,26,95 route. Other than weather in Jellico and Rush hour in Atlanta, there isn't any real potential bad spots along the route. It's 1100 miles from the starting point to the port. At 20 hours that would be 55 miles an hour average. Honestly, since one of the guys driving drives a race car in his spare time, I expect them to get there in 17 hours or less. lol