Suggestions for our day

lele100

I would like some suggestions on how we can spend our day. We have been to Cozumel many times and always do an all inclusive or a tour of Cozumel or the Mayan etc.

What we are looking to do is walk around go to a couple different places grab some apps have some drinks, then maybe end up at the bars near the port, We are with Carnival so I believe it is International Pier correct?

Any suggestions for a lazy restaurant hopping, bar hopping on our own kind of day would be appreciated.

Thanks Oh and would love places with music TY

Carnival docks at Puerta Maya. 3 Amigos, Fat Tuesdays, Pancho's Backyard are there for apps and drinks. Unless you desire to head downtown or a beach place, I suggest at least starting at Pancho's; better food, better drinks, better service.

Another option would be to take the Bar Hop bus and see several spots on the island's east side. Someone else is driving and you'll have a blast and meet a nice group of folks. The guy who runs the bus used to be the manager of Paradise Beach several years back. Threads on this board with info and reviews.

Carnival docks at Puerta Maya. 3 Amigos, Fat Tuesdays, Pancho's Backyard are there for apps and drinks. Unless you desire to head downtown or a beach place, I suggest at least starting at Pancho's; better food, better drinks, better service.

Another option would be to take the Bar Hop bus and see several spots on the island's east side. Someone else is driving and you'll have a blast and meet a nice group of folks. The guy who runs the bus used to be the manager of Paradise Beach several years back. Threads on this board with info and reviews.

Sounds great thank you do you know the name of the company for the bar hop bus ? Or is it only one in Cozumel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you I saw that one I was just wondering if there were more than one and which one was preferred. Thanks again

I have been on two different Bar Hop Tours in Cozumel. One was the Cozumel Bar hop (I believe someone already shared the link). We were on this one in April 2016, and went on a different one in November 2016.

April 2016: Cozumel Bar Hop is one that is a small bus (with passengers from other ships) and you get a welcome shot, and a tee shirt. We had to buy our own lunch, and unfortunately it was at the first stop (a resort) where it was also the best place to swim according to our tour guide. We ate lunch and didn't get a chance to swim... Colleen was our guide and she was very informative, but the tour itself has a strict time regimen there isn't a deviation from the pre-planned locations. With that said, we still thoroughly enjoyed it. We had to take a taxi to downtown from the International Pier which added to our cost as well, but were dropped off in front of the ship upon return. BRING A LOT OF CASH if you want something to eat and purchase drinks or souvenirs.

November 2016: Cozumel Cruise Excursions have a bar hop tour as well, and instead of a bus the four of us had a private jeep. "Gizmo" was our tour guide and he was very open to adjusting the locations we requested, especially asking him to make the resort stop LAST so when we went swimming we weren't sitting in our wet clothes all day. Lunch is INCLUDED (Fresh Fajitas-delicious) at I believe the third stop (?). At each stop we received a welcome shot and also were able to purchase drinks. Instead of a tee shirt, this tour offers bottled water and beer (all you can drink) from a cooler in the jeep (included in tour price). The Beer was advertised was "Corona" but instead was a Mexican canned beer, something equivalent to Keystone in my opinion. My son enjoyed it, but truthfully you won't need it after all those shots! As for the tour itself, we have re-booked with Gizmo for our upcoming cruise on the Allure. We enjoyed the true local bars- one was a roadside stand that one never stop at....I'm talking Mojitos so fresh, the mint leaves were picked, washed and ground with a motor and pestal in front of you..it was fantastic! Still, BRING CASH. We found this tour on Tripadvisor http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-bar-hop-tour.html

Edited by mimirdh

I have been on two different Bar Hop Tours in Cozumel. One was the Cozumel Bar hop (I believe someone already shared the link). We were on this one in April 2016, and went on a different one in November 2016.

April 2016: Cozumel Bar Hop is one that is a small bus (with passengers from other ships) and you get a welcome shot, and a tee shirt. We had to buy our own lunch, and unfortunately it was at the first stop (a resort) where it was also the best place to swim according to our tour guide. We ate lunch and didn't get a chance to swim... Colleen was our guide and she was very informative, but the tour itself has a strict time regimen there isn't a deviation from the pre-planned locations. With that said, we still thoroughly enjoyed it. We had to take a taxi to downtown from the International Pier which added to our cost as well, but were dropped off in front of the ship upon return. BRING A LOT OF CASH if you want something to eat and purchase drinks or souvenirs.

November 2016: Cozumel Cruise Excursions have a bar hop tour as well, and instead of a bus the four of us had a private jeep. "Gizmo" was our tour guide and he was very open to adjusting the locations we requested, especially asking him to make the resort stop LAST so when we went swimming we weren't sitting in our wet clothes all day. Lunch is INCLUDED (Fresh Fajitas-delicious) at I believe the third stop (?). At each stop we received a welcome shot and also were able to purchase drinks. Instead of a tee shirt, this tour offers bottled water and beer (all you can drink) from a cooler in the jeep (included in tour price). The Beer was advertised was "Corona" but instead was a Mexican canned beer, something equivalent to Keystone in my opinion. My son enjoyed it, but truthfully you won't need it after all those shots! As for the tour itself, we have re-booked with Gizmo for our upcoming cruise on the Allure. We enjoyed the true local bars- one was a roadside stand that one never stop at....I'm talking Mojitos so fresh, the mint leaves were picked, washed and ground with a motor and pestal in front of you..it was fantastic! Still, BRING CASH. We found this tour on Tripadvisor http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-bar-hop-tour.html

Great thank you very informative

With the jeep tour was this completely driven by their driver or is this the company that makes you drive in and out of town to avoid union rules? Itinerary sounds good, just not keen on driving on Cozumel after four shots and a cooler of beer.

The website you linked suggests they do use a bus so I presume you chose the jeep option?

With the jeep tour was this completely driven by their driver or is this the company that makes you drive in and out of town to avoid union rules? Itinerary sounds good, just not keen on driving on Cozumel after four shots and a cooler of beer.

The website you linked suggests they do use a bus so I presume you chose the jeep option?

If I'm understanding your question/comment, the jeep was not driven by us. The company sponsored tour guide (driver) is the one who drove the tour company's jeep. There were 3 of us in the back and one in the passenger front seat.

Our driver's name was "gizmo" and he was awesome:D

Both tours take you to the other side of the island. That side is environmentally protected, and there is no power. No internet, no debit cards, etc...CASH only. All the mixers,ice, water, food, etc are brought from the city of Cozumel over to this side daily so the food and drinks are safe. The Cozumel Bar Hop (bus) takes you from downtown Cozumel directly across the island, and then turning south to around the southern end and then back up on the west side toward Cozumel. The Cozumel Cruise Excursion Bar Hop (the one where we happened to get a jeep; I don't know what other vehicles they have)... that one took us in the opposite direction. Starting at the International Pier we went South (past Mr Sancho's, etc,) then up the eastern side. The last stop on the eastern side is also the first stop on the bus tour, and it's the "nicest" place to eat and swim (the resort) so if you take the bus tour thst's where you'd probably want to purchase your lunch. The second "jeep" tour has lunch included at a restaurant, and it was nice too.

The website link, look for Bar Hop- that's the one I chose. We just happened to get a jeep and a personal driver for our bar hop tour

Edited by mimirdh

If I'm understanding your question/comment, the jeep was not driven by us. The company sponsored tour guide (driver) is the one who drove the tour company's jeep. There were 3 of us in the back and one in the passenger front seat.

Both tours take you to the other side of the island. That side is environmentally protected, and there is no power. No internet, no debit cards, etc...CASH only. All the mixers,ice, water, food, etc are brought from the city of Cozumel over to this side daily so the food and drinks are safe. The Cozumel Bar Hop (bus) takes you from downtown Cozumel directly across the island, and then turning south to around the southern end and then back up on the west side toward Cozumel. The Cozumel Cruise Excursion Bar Hop (the one where we happened to get a jeep; I don't know what other vehicles they have)... that one took us in the opposite direction. Starting at the International Pier we went South (past Mr Sancho's, etc,) then up the eastern side. The last stop on the eastern side is also the first stop on the bus tour, and it's the "nicest" place to eat and swim (the resort) so if you take the bus tour thst's where you'd probably want to purchase your lunch. The second "jeep" tour has lunch included at a restaurant, and it was nice too.

Thanks one more question so the two tours go to different bars? The Cozumel bar hop tour looks like it goes to smaller beach bars or so it seems from the pictures

Thanks one more question so the two tours go to different bars? The Cozumel bar hop tour looks like it goes to smaller beach bars or so it seems from the pictures

Just for clarification I'm going to call them the "bus" tour= Cozumel Bar Hop

and the "jeep tour"= Cozemel Cruise Excursions"

I believe we stopped at 5 or 6 places for each tour, and out of those 2 or 3 were the same.

Private beach Resort was La Moreno- both tours. The pics of that are the cabanas, the hammocks, the pool..

Coconuts Restaurant was on both tours (but the 2nd one included lunch there)

There was another bar that both went to and I can't remember the name.

There were two small roadside bars on the jeep tour, small local bars..I think one was names "Miami something....."

Two different "popular" bars were offered on the bus tour. One had a lot of bras hanging from the ceiling,the other one had a large "indian statue" that showed his junk when you pulled a lever....I don't remember the names of those bars either, sorry.

The website link, look for Bar Hop- that's the one I chose. We just happened to get a jeep and a personal driver for our bar hop tour

Thanks for the clarification regarding the driver.

I am always wary of the jeep tours because I certainly wouldn't want to be in one of the tours that caravans round the island and I know there have been reports of one company who say they provide a driver but make you drive in and out of the port area which seems to defeat the object of a designated driver.

I have taken the Bar Hop tour (bus) and have been round the island many times and am familiar with most of the bars on the east side so just looking for a different mode of transport. Seems good value for all you received.

The Bar Hop tour (bus) goes to four different bars as described on their website, Punta Morena, Coconuts, Playa Bonita and Rastas (Paradise-Bob Marley Bar).

Just for clarification I'm going to call them the "bus" tour= Cozumel Bar Hop

and the "jeep tour"= Cozemel Cruise Excursions"

I believe we stopped at 5 or 6 places for each tour, and out of those 2 or 3 were the same.

Private beach Resort was La Moreno- both tours. The pics of that are the cabanas, the hammocks, the pool..

Coconuts Restaurant was on both tours (but the 2nd one included lunch there)

There was another bar that both went to and I can't remember the name.

There were two small roadside bars on the jeep tour, small local bars..I think one was names "Miami something....."

Two different "popular" bars were offered on the bus tour. One had a lot of bras hanging from the ceiling,the other one had a large "indian statue" that showed his junk when you pulled a lever....I don't remember the names of those bars either, sorry.

On the "bus" Bar Hop the first bar with pool is Punta Morena, 2nd coconuts, 3rd Playa Bonita and, fourth Rastas.

The jeep tour website says you stop for snorkeling at one of the southern beach bars which I had always assumed was Uvas, or possibly Ocean Club? It also says lunch is at Punta Morena so I guess they have changed to Coconuts now.

Edited by c-leg5

On the "bus" Bar Hop the first bar with pool is Punta Morena, 2nd coconuts, 3rd Playa Bonita and, fourth Rastas.

The jeep tour website says you stop for snorkeling at one of the southern beach bars which I had always assumed was Uvas, or possibly Ocean Club? It also says lunch is at Punta Morena so I guess they have changed to Coconuts now.

The pic with the ladies next to the pool with the straw roof huts in the background is the first place we stopped at on the bus tour, and the last place on the jeep tour. This I believe is Punta Morena. I know the website is numbered, but that;s not necessarily the order. I paid for my lunch there in April, on the bus tour. we sat under the covered area next to the pool and ate while some others had paid for massages in the outside cabanas and some played a pick up game of volleyball....

It was either Coconuts or El Mirodor where the buffet fajita lunch was included in our jeep tour in November. Maybe someone knows the name of it- it's got a large upstairs deck/ dining area, and had a mariachi band that came to our table.

My husband remembered the roadside hut where we got the delicious Mojitos- name is "Welcome to Miami" and they also had some hammocks in the back looking over the ocean. (Punta Morena has hammocks too). Two other places we stopped at with the jeep bar hop was two different tequila distilleries.

I hope this helps....

Cozumel - took a cab outside of port area. To a place called "Carlos and Charlie's" - beach, loungers, shade, got a stone massage- really good.

The cab was 15 to and $12 from.... Total. I got the best beach massage really good with stones, laid back place and really good food, really good drink prices, and there were vendors you could walk to buy things... We will return

The pic with the ladies next to the pool with the straw roof huts in the background is the first place we stopped at on the bus tour, and the last place on the jeep tour. This I believe is Punta Morena. I know the website is numbered, but that;s not necessarily the order. I paid for my lunch there in April, on the bus tour. we sat under the covered area next to the pool and ate while some others had paid for massages in the outside cabanas and some played a pick up game of volleyball....

It was either Coconuts or El Mirodor where the buffet fajita lunch was included in our jeep tour in November. Maybe someone knows the name of it- it's got a large upstairs deck/ dining area, and had a mariachi band that came to our table.

Was the bar with upstairs deck across the road from the beach? If it was, it was probably La Palapa at St Martin (used to be Andale/Diablo). Haven't read any reviews under new owners. Is that where you had lunch?

My husband remembered the roadside hut where we got the delicious Mojitos- name is "Welcome to Miami" and they also had some hammocks in the back looking over the ocean. (Punta Morena has hammocks too). Two other places we stopped at with the jeep bar hop was two different tequila distilleries.

I hope this helps....

Coconuts is on a cliff overlooking the ocean and has a lot if t-shirts hanging from the ceiling.

Edited by c-leg5

Coconuts is on a cliff overlooking the ocean and has a lot if t-shirts hanging from the ceiling.

Hi c-leg,

You asked if the bar/restaurant was across the street from the beach- answer is no, but I know which one you're talking about. Where we ate was on the same side as the ocean. It is an open air deck with lots of tables. Location (I'm guessing) is maybe about half way between Mr Sanchos and Punta Morena.

I remember Coconuts now- but I remember bras(?) hanging from the ceiling? And a "special" photo album that only the men were invited to look at...or is that another bar? That was one we stopped at on our bus bar hop

Edited by mimirdh

Hi c-leg,

You asked if the bar/restaurant was across the street from the beach- answer is no, but I know which one you're talking about. Where we ate was on the same side as the ocean. It is an open air deck with lots of tables. Location (I'm guessing) is maybe about half way between Mr Sanchos and Punta Morena.

I remember Coconuts now- but I remember bras(?) hanging from the ceiling? And a "special" photo album that only the men were invited to look at...or is that another bar? That was one we stopped at on our bus bar hop

LOL now you have me really confused!

Mr Sanchos is on the west coast, south of the ports, and Punta Morena is right round the island at the north(ish) end of the east coast!

The only other suggestion I have with upstairs deck on east coast would be Rastas/Paradise - see if this photo tour looks familiar. Not my photos, but there are many photos on the other pages of this review of the bars on the east side. There is another page for Coconuts.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalElationApr2013/04Cozumel/index5.htm

Edited by c-leg5

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

:confused:I believe this is the same tour wife and I took +/- 2 years ago, and we had Gizmo as our driver. He was GREAT! But yes, I had to drive to the first stop (the tequila factory) where he took over for the rest of the day. Not sure what would have happened IF wife and I both declined to drive or were unable to drive a stick shift. We were the only two on the tour with Gizmo. Tour was super and are probably going on it again next week. Lots of fun and informative, too. Still, not convinced why we had to drive initially. fflashh.

How much did you pay for your cab for the day?

Hourly rates for taxis will be posted on the board near the cab line for your pier. Have an idea of where you want to go, how long you want to spend at each stop, and expect to pay $30-40+ per hour, depending upon the size of the taxi and number of passengers.