What if: Only going to Alaska once, what is the MUST do/see port/glacier?

CruisingGatorGirl

Hi CC! My family is considering an Alaska cruise for my mothers 60th Birthday. My parents plan to do one, and only one, Alaskan cruise. I feel very well educated in the Mediterranean but I feel completely at lost when it comes to Alaska :eek: My parents want me to research and help find the ship/itinerary.

• What would be the one thing to MUST SEE in Alaska? Is it Glacier Bay (from what little research I have done)?

One hiccup I have with Glacier Bay is that Celebrity does not sail there. My parents (and my husband and I) love Celebrity and that is our cruise line of choice. We love Celebrity so much and would prefer to sail on X to Alaska- but will we miss out not seeing Glacier Bay? From what I read, Alaska is all about the itinerary and not the ship.

What would you recommend for a one time Alaskan cruise? We need to limit it to 7 nights, work obligations will not allow us to take a longer trip :(

My parents really want to see whales and have the "fjord" experience. I want to plan the best cruise possible for my parents, they deserve it!

Thank you so much in advance.

Smiles,

Ashley :D

Sail round trip out of Vancouver for a smoother and more scenic cruising experience. Glacier Bay is a national park and the closest tp a guaranty for glacier viewing. A balcony is a nice experience or a suite even better. Check with a good travel agent... Seabourne has two June sailings that go to Glacier Bay. We sail Holland America. There are plenty of choices but a good TA can help.

Hi CruisingGatorGirl ( from a rival cruising Nole!) how sweet that you are trying to make this special for your parents. Whatever you end up with I am sure they will appreciate all your efforts on their behalf.

I love Celebrity too, and yes, I know that an Alaska cruise is all about the itinerary. However, ships are big so a lot of walking around, and you do have to eat something on the ship so some sitting in some dining area. And while some *may* think drinking is optional while cruising, most everyone would agree you will probably sit at a bar at some point while cruising. So to me, the ship is still important and I chose Celebrity for my first Alaska cruise, even without a Glacier Bay stop.

The forums do make you feel that Glacier Bay is the most important itinerary consideration. Since I haven't been to Alaska, I am certainly no judge of the value of which Glacier is best. However, I did learn the following after much research, and not really from these forums but from the old fashioned way: googling around! It did take a while and many deep dives.

What I learned:

1) since Icy Strait Point ( a RCI port stop, more on that later) is pretty close to Glacier National Park, there are excursions to there from ISP. For instance, there is a float plane that flys over for 45 minutes or 1.5 hours. Certainly not the same experience as an all day tour up close and personal and I imagine you can't hear the calving or appreciate the magnitude of the resulting waves. And any sea life viewing will be mighty small! But at least the beauty and scale of the glaciers will be visible and I am sure awesome viewing in a different way. There are also boat excursions if I recall correctly. But they are all day affairs and since our ship is only in port at Icy Strait Point for 5.5 hours, those weren't options for us to consider so I didn't study those at all. You probably already have learned that with the variability in weather in Alaska, no Glacier viewing whether by boat or by air is guaranteed. Flights get canceled. Visibility can be poor. It can rain all day. So the best advice I have read is that if Glacier viewing is your priority, find an itinerary where there are multiple Glacier viewing opportunities.

2. From everything I have read, other glaciers are magnificent too! Although not always navigable due to ice or other conditions, where from what I understand about Glacier Bay is that it is so large and has so many spots to view glaciers that you are more likely to see one. I am crossing my fingers and telling myself not to be disappointed if we don't get close to Hubbard Glacier due to a captains decision not to go in close due to weather conditions. And hoping the weather is excellent for our helicopter landing on a Glacier - that is what I wanted to do most: walk on a Glacier.

3. Icy Strait Point. I had read that this was some people's least favorite port because there isn't much to do. Then I read it was other's favorite port, just because it is quieter and more authentic. After more research I have concluded that ISP is kind of like a cruise line's private island. Only a few cruise lines go there. So what I have learned is that a) there is only one cruise ship in port at a time. I like that idea. b) the port buildings are restored ( and probably some new ones; in the photos it looks all new) canning factories etc. c) there are some good displays of local history. D) the 'profits' stay with the locals. E) the locals are terrific people. You can walk or ride bikes to Hoonah, their village, along the water. Not much to see or do there but it is authentic. F) you can eat a crab feast for about 1/2 the price as the more touristy areas. G) the forests surrounding the area are pretty awesome. H) my travel buddies are excited about the zip line, but my husband says no way. So it sounds cool to me!

4) Whales. Apparently a whale boat excursion is hit or miss and Glacier Bay is a whale Mecca. But I have read stories where the whale watching *can* be good from the ship, if you learn the tricks of what to look for and are inclined to actively search them out while on sea days or cruising to the next port. There is a book referenced in the forums that has a map and identifies whale activity areas like a mile marker as you cruise the inside passage. Google ' The Alaska Cruise Handbook' by Joe Upton.

5) one thing that I * think * may add to a more enjoyable experience on a Celebrity ship: the length of time in ports PLUS the number of ships in port at the same time. I spoke to one vendor in Juneau and they are expecting 25,000 more visitors this year than last. So the number of ships and the number of passengers on each ship in port may affect a lot of your experience. ( kind of like Santorini!) My * sense * is ( and if I am wrong I am sure someone will chime in!) that, at least on my Infinity cruise round trip from Vancouver, that we have fewer ships in port on the days we are there and we stay longer than the other ships. This is important, I think, so you don't feel like herding cattle jumping fences from farmer to farmer checking out the grass and still trying to get back home before the dinner bell! You can research that ahead of time for any itinerary or cruise line you are exploring, if that is important to you. It does take more work!

But I am sure, in the end, that as ours have said: the ship doesn't matter, the itinerary does! But if you can get both then why not!

Good luck planning and enjoy the process and your memories with you parents!

Jen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by JenZ

Hi CC! My family is considering an Alaska cruise for my mothers 60th Birthday. My parents plan to do one, and only one, Alaskan cruise. I feel very well educated in the Mediterranean but I feel completely at lost when it comes to Alaska :eek: My parents want me to research and help find the ship/itinerary.

• What would be the one thing to MUST SEE in Alaska? Is it Glacier Bay (from what little research I have done)?

One hiccup I have with Glacier Bay is that Celebrity does not sail there. My parents (and my husband and I) love Celebrity and that is our cruise line of choice. We love Celebrity so much and would prefer to sail on X to Alaska- but will we miss out not seeing Glacier Bay? From what I read, Alaska is all about the itinerary and not the ship.

What would you recommend for a one time Alaskan cruise? We need to limit it to 7 nights, work obligations will not allow us to take a longer trip :(

My parents really want to see whales and have the "fjord" experience. I want to plan the best cruise possible for my parents, they deserve it!

Thank you so much in advance.

Smiles,

Ashley :D

Given your time limitations and preferences, you should look at Celebrity' s itineraries out of Vancouver, as "oaktreerb" suggested. Hubbard Glacier is spectacular in its own way. For a one-time visit, I would pick Skagway over Icy Strait, but read up on the ports to decide for yourself.

Below is a photographic comparison between the three major "Glacier" experiences that the mass-market Alaska cruises offer. (There is also College Fjord, offered on some cruise itineraries):

Here are a whole bunch of Glacier Bay photos (you can click on the photos for a larger image):

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/glacier-bay-3/

Here are several of Hubbard Glacier:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/hubbard.jpg

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/hubbard-glacier/#jp-carousel-307

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/hubbard2.jpg

And a few of Tracy Arm Fjord:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/waterfall.jpg

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/sawyerglacier.jpg

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/sawyerglacier2.jpg

I have been researching a lot lately, and we have also been to Alaska twice several years ago.

In my honest opinion and from my research on cruise critic it seems that Glacier Bay is a must see. I have been to both Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier on previous cruises. Tracy Arm was amazing and so was Hubbard Glacier even though we did not get too close to Hubbard. On our next Alaskan cruise we definitely want to see Glacier Bay as this could be the third and last trip to Alaska. Glacier Bay is a national park.

We have been on both Princess and Holland America. Both were great in different ways. I have also been on a Celebrity cruise and that was one of my favorites.

Going by just the itinerary alone, I would probably choose either Holland America Eurdodam or Ruby Princess which both go to Glacier Bay. Eurodam goes to Sitka which is amazing and beautiful. Ruby goes to Skagway which is really nice if you are into trains and history. Both would be equally great trips. The ships are both really nice and offer service comparable to Celebrity. Also both trips go out of Seattle. Seattle is a great port city to explore.

Good Luck in your planning!

I’m one who doesn’t think Glacier Bay is a must see. It’s certainly nice and I prefer going there but there are other places to see glaciers and no one should plan their entire trip around one day of cruising.

It looks like you will be limited to Hubbard or the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm Fjord. The problem with both is that they are not always accessible due to ice. It would certainly open up the possibilities if you could choose another line. You’ll see other glaciers along the way from a distance and there is always Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau although quite different from the tidewater glaciers.

For whales, Juneau and Ice Strait Point are the ports with guaranteed humpback sightings by taking a tour. You can also see them from the ship although it takes some diligence and being out on deck a lot.

There are a lot of cruise line loyalists, like yourself, although Alaska is much less about the ship, as you mentioned.

Favorite ports for us would be Sitka, Skagway and Juneau.

If you really want to see glaciers, an cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay is a must. However, since you also prefer Celebrity Cruises, you might consider a one-way trip from Vancouver to Seward. In Seward, you can book a Kenai Fjords trip to either Aialik or Holgate Glacier through Kenai Fjords Tours (www.kenaifjords.com) or Major Marine Cruises (www.majormarine.com). Both outfits get very close to these glaciers and Kenai Fjords is also known for great marine wildlife.

Since you will fly into or out of Anchorage for Seward, another option is a day trip to the glaciers of Prince William Sound from Whittier. Check out http://www.26glaciers.com or http://www.majormarine.com. Both offer trips to Blackstone Bay (a shorter tour) or Surprise Glacier in Harriman Fjord. FYI - the waters in Prince William Sound are usually calmer than Kenai Fjords but both trips are excellent.

The glacier picture below is Northland Glacier in Blackstone Bay.

Wow, wow, wow!

A big thank you to each and everyone of you for the VERY helpful responses! I was so scared I was going to get attacked and told to "use the search function." :halo: Which I tried, but I was quickly overwhelmed. This was extremely helpful, thank you to each person who took the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it and this helps me to move forward with planning :D

We had an epic family cruise to the Mediterranean and I just want to make sure this cruise is just as amazing, in a different way. My parents work so hard and just want to plan the best cruise for our family :* Just waiting for my husband to hear back from work on vacation time and then we can move forward and book, yippee!

Thank you!!! I am sure once we actually get the cruise booked, I will be back for more questions ;) Love the CC community!

Smiles,

Ashley

Hi CruisingGatorGitl

You are so sweet to plan a vacation for your parents

We are also cruise hunting right now too

Currently looking st Princess Ruby end of May 2018. NCL is a little cheaper and has perks. Princess only free gratuities

Very overwhelming to say the least!!

Keep us updated on what you decide

Thank you

For starters, I have not been to Glacier Bay but have seen Hubbard and it was great! But I was more impressed with landing on a glacier in Juneau area. Or seeing bears in Denali. My point is that it is the entire experience not just one thing.

Some things to consider:

What's your budget?

North/South itineraries are more scenic but you pay more for airfare (in Seward, Kenai Fjord boat tour is great)

Start looking at cost of excursions (back to budget) since they are pricey

What is priority of group? Is it glaciers? wildlife, etc?

If wanting to stick with Celebrity, you can book Mountain Flying Service excursion over Glacier National Park in Skagway or Haines.

If you want to see bears, I would highly recommend a trip to Denali or do a pricey excursion elsewhere

I get advice on cruise critic, but it really gets down to your budget and priorities. I look at pictures of places on cruise critic or Trip Advisor to see if it looks/sounds like something I would like to do.

Alaska is beautiful, but one can't typically see it just walking into port. Land tour is highly recommended.

This is a great question, but one that is very personal, so expect varying responses. DH and I have been twice and we just had a lively discussion based on your post.:) His first answer is Denali is the absolute number one most important destination in Alaska. I loved Denali, too. And I realize you can't go because of the 7-day limit. His second answer surprised me - he said flightseeing because Alaskans depend on small aircraft so much. He sees that as a very Alaskan experience. I would say Denali is second. For me it's Juneau. I never have enough time there. It has Mendenhall Glacier and you can fly there and walk on it. You can hike near it and up to it. You can go dogsledding there. There are the best whale tours. I love Juneau.

Since your preference is seeing whales, be sure to book a tour in Juneau. Do not rely on seeing them from the ship. Get on a tour. You also mentioned a preference for fjords, so I can't recommend Tracy Arm enough. I absolutely loved it. It's gorgeous. You must do the small boat excursion up to the glacier. Research to find a cruise that gives you the option for this excursion right from the ship and back again. Don't waste your Juneau time going out of the port on a tour.

Glacier Bay is actually far down my list of must-sees. But I remember being overwhelmed by info in planning my first trip. And I remember feeling a lot of pressure from reading these boards that you have to see it, it's not a National Park for nothing, etc. I know people mean well, and for many that might be true, but you won't really know until you see it for yourself, unfortunately. Just don't work yourself into a frenzy over this. If it doesn't work out and you choose an itinerary without GB, you can still have the most amazing Alaskan experience.

-------

So, I was re-reading my post and reflecting on just what is it about Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay that makes me prefer Tracy Arm, and I had to come back and add on to my post. I think the essence of it is that I like the expansive views of the landscape and nature alright, but I really love the up close and personal. When we went to GB, as we were on the ship staring at Margerie Glacier, which is stunning BTW, I saw smaller boats that were much closer in, and I wished I could be on one. When we went to Tracy Arm, the small boat excursion up to Sawyer Glacier gave me just that experience that I craved. Plus I loved the lush green fjord of Tracy Arm to the barren white of the Glacier Bay landscape.

This is the same reason that I didn't care so much for flightseeing Misty Fjord, which I had really looked forward to because everyone on these boards raves about the experience. For me it was too much expansive views with very little up close and personal (the time we spent on the ground at the lake).

-------

Also, the ship you sail on IS part of the experience. Do you believe in the saying, "It's not the destination, it's the journey"? Well, the ship is part of the journey. And actually, in Alaska, it's both the journey and the destination that are important.:cool:

When we went to GB, we sailed on the Island Princess which has these wonderful tiered bow areas to get expansive views from and a one-level promenade deck. That was fantastic. And now I'm a huge Princess fan. If you love Celebrity, don't let anyone talk you out of sailing Celebrity. It's your vacation. You know your preferences. If sailing Celebrity makes you happy, do it. If you feel adventurous and want to try another cruiseline, then look into HAL or Princess.

Happy planning!

Edited by portiemom

Hi CC! My family is considering an Alaska cruise for my mothers 60th Birthday. My parents plan to do one, and only one, Alaskan cruise.
In addition to Glacier Bay w/ another cruise line.... have you considered which month???

• May to July offers dryer port weather and more daylight
  • May and September offer savings
  • August starts to get wet and September is best for storm chasers.
  • May is cooler, July can be warm
  • mid-July offers the best compromises, but cost more. Oprah likes it too!

Realize from the beginning that you won't be able to do it all. That there will have to be give and take.

Find out from your family members what their limitations are. Do they have issues walking? Do they have height/fear of small airplane issues (float plane)? Are they adventurous (kayaks, ziplining, etc) or do they prefer a sit and watch kind of excursion? Are they foodies and are interested more in local cuisine (salmon bakes, crab feasts) rather than taking a boat tour? You may have to spit up and see multiple things at each port to satisfy all.

Years ago, when planning my first Alaska cruise, this board had such strong recommendations to the "only" way to see Alaska is to add on a trip to Denali, and to "only" consider a one way cruise. That added to our cost so much, that we dropped the cruise entirely because we just wouldn't see it the "right" way. Big mistake and to this day I wish I had ignored all that. It's ok to do a RT, even out of Seattle if that's ultimately more convenient for your family, and less costly overall. It's ok not to do Denali. Even if this is a one and done cruise.

That said, we prefer Celebrity as well, and yes they don't go to Glacier Bay. If GB is definitely on your list, consider perhaps NCL who do suites very, very well are reasonable costs. They're RT out of Seattle. Ruby (Princess) is another fine choice - and Princess has always gotten good reviews for the Alaska itineraries especially their Voyage of the Glaciers itineraries.

Overall - make sure you don't over schedule yourselves. Enjoy some downtime in each of the ports simply to wander.

Enjoy your trip.

We decided to forego Glacier Bay to stay with Celebrity. Although we would have preferred to go earlier in the season, because of my husband's job, we cannot, so we ended up booking the last trip of the season in 2018 on the Millennium. I know we will have a great time.

Like your parents, this is our one and only. I am a total warm weather vacationer, but this is his bucket list trip so I agreed to go. I know I will enjoy it, but we live in WI and I cannot wait till we can retire I can move where it is warm year round.

I am in full planning mode already. I have our excursion booked in Icy Strait, waiting for the zipline adventures to open up for 2018 in Ketchikan, and we are going to rent a car in Skagway and Juneau and do our own thing so we can stop whenever we want. We are also doing a 6 night land tour with the cruise line first. We will fly into Fairbanks a day early and have a day to explore before meeting up with the group. It does not bother us to be up early. My hubby is up every day at midnight for work and I am up at 4:30 for work, so we never sleep late, even on vacation.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time. Even though it is not my first choice of vacation, I know I will still enjoy it.

"MUST" is very personal.

On our first AK cruise, glaciers were our priority, so we chose an itinerary that had a service call at Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

For our next AK cruise seeing bears is most important so we chose a July sailing date - with Kodiak as a port in addition to Ketchikan being a bonus!

Riding the train in Skagway, or dog sledding, or fishing, or whale watching may be musts for you. (Those can all be done using any cruise line. Glacier Bay & some less frequently visited ports are your limiting factors.)

I am one that thinks you should go to Glacier Bay for your parents. Just because Glacier Bay never seems to be missed.

We did RCCL for our first cruise with my Mom and it visited Hubbard Glacier. Our ship missed Hubbard Glacier. This was the only glacier on the trip. The whole ship was disappointed as most people were one time only cruisers. It took me 10 plus more years to get her back to Alaska and her vision had gone down since then and I am not sure how much she saw the 2nd time. One never knows what will happen with our parents health.

Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm can be missed and sometimes frequently. The first year we were in Hubbard, I don't think any ships saw the glacier that year. Last year, Tracy Arm was inaccessible until August or so for most large ships (small boats got in).

So my question for you - is your desire for a specific cruise line more important than the chances of seeing a glacier for your parents?

If I were you, I would pick an itinerary for 2 glaciers. Glacier Bay is always seen and then you can often get a 2nd glacier on many itineraries. I get emails all the time from people who pick Tracy Arm or Hubbard and miss their glacier and wish they had gone to Glacier Bay. Hubbard is great, if you get to see it. Do you want to chance your parents one time trip on this? For me, I wouldn't. I guess it comes down to what is more important for you?

Sorry to be harsh. I wish Glacier Bay had been on my Mom's first cruise to Alaska. From emails, I am not the only one.

Thank you all again! The information and opinions does help, a lot. Unfortunately we cannot book for at least another month due to my husbands job and if he can get the time off from work. I like to have my trips planned a year in advance, my husbands job does not allow for planning that far ahead :rolleyes: All I can do is make a list of the cruises to keep an eye on and the excursions for each so when I get the "green light" to book, I will be all set!

I will be sure to come back and update on what we went with :)

Thank you!

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

We made sure our first trip to Alaska included glacier bay. We went in July on the Sapphire Princess. This was 8 years ago.

After I researched everything, we decided that our first trip for Alaska should be for the itinerary first, cruise line second. The ship left from Vancouver for 7 nights and ended in Whittier (Anchorage)-- The ports were the basic: Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, with ample time in those three. There were two glacier viewing days: G.P being one, and then one other- (forgot which one)

All I can say is there was nothing like eating brunch on our balcony with spectacular scenery in Glacier Bay. The other wasn't particularly spectacular, but certainly pleasant. The ship at the time had the most horrible food-- I actually lost 5 pounds-- heard the food is still not so great on the Sapphire- But everything else was perfect. I have to say though, that we have been on 3 other princess ships since, and the food was just fine to very good. We are leaving in a couple of weeks on the Celebrity Solstice repositioning cruise- Vancouver, Alaska, ending in Seattle. We will miss not seeing Glacier Bay on this cruise but chose this ship for: an afternoon stop in Victoria, a day in Sitka- and a chance to do things we didn't do the last time in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We are supposed to see Hubbard, and do inside passage on another day. I am hoping that Hubbard will work out do to weather conditions. But if not, we also prefer Celebrity for their dining experience and their included adult indoor solarium with pool--- Princess does not enforce adults only solarium area on the few ships that have one- and for us that was a deal breaker for our upcoming trip. We were on the Coral for panama canal, and their were babies in diapers in the adult solarium pool-- management refused to do anything about it--- When we were on the Sapphire those 8 years ago for Alaska-- there was also nothing more enjoyable than sitting in hot tub watching the scenery with a drink in hand, in that area. Since it was July, there were many children on board- but not in the solarium, as management did their jobs! Anyway, I suggest you study the itinerary carefully, and choose the ship accordingly.

Whale watching in Juneau - we went with Harv and Marv three different times, small boat vs with 200+ people and their staff have all been great, plus it includes going to Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. We are planning our fourth trip to Alaska for this August.

We like the north or south bound itineraries vs round trip as you can see more ports and also do some land excursions before or after if time and budget allow. This trip will be our first Celebrity cruise, we've done Royal Caribbean for two other Allan cruises and then one land only trip there. It's an amazing place - we thought our first trip would be our only one!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whale watching in Juneau - we went with Harv and Marv three different times, small boat vs with 200+ people and their staff have all been great, plus it includes going to Mendenhall Glacier

Not accurate. There aren't whale watch trips with 200+ people on them unless you are talking about cruise ships. The tour boats used by Allen Marine have enough space and seating, and 2 decks to handle their numbers, with upper viewing, being a superior option in some cases.

You are also wrong with H&M , they no longer include a Mendenhall drop off.

Not accurate. There aren't whale watch trips with 200+ people on them unless you are talking about cruise ships. The tour boats used by Allen Marine have enough space and seating, and 2 decks to handle their numbers, with upper viewing, being a superior option in some cases.

You are also wrong with H&M , they no longer include a Mendenhall drop off.

I booked first time for whale watch with cruise line since Mendenhall isn't on some of the private tours. Glad to hear the whale watch will still be good. Thanks.

I booked first time for whale watch with cruise line since Mendenhall isn't on some of the private tours. Glad to hear the whale watch will still be good. Thanks.

Allen Marine is a well run vendor. BUT, I would caution you the combo booking. It is absolutely not necessary to elimiate other choices and these combo bookings usually have only a very short stop at Mendenhall. Verify the descriptions. the "guided" tours are pretty worthless too, in my opinion. Some only have a 45 minute stop which isn't enough for Nugget Falls.

Simply- with any independent tour option, just have a cab take you between the whale watch and Mendenhall Then if there during the day, just get on a shuttle bus back to the port when you are ready to leave. If going to be after 6p call a cab about 30 minutes prior to needing it.

I wouldn't compromise on the time at Mendenhall, there is nothing worse than being too short on time and rushing through your entire visit.