Local Food

PattiRedRabbit

I am looking for recommendations for a local restaurant with really good local food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Casa Denis is pretty good. It is just off of the right side of the square in San Miguel. Ask to dine in the courtyard. You can find a lot of great info at http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com or http://www.cozumelinsider.com. Study them like the Bible.

Casa Denis is pretty good. It is just off of the right side of the square in San Miguel. Ask to dine in the courtyard. You can find a lot of great info at http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com or http://www.cozumelinsider.com. Study them like the Bible.

Thank you!!

You can't go wrong with ANY restaurants downtown. They are all authentic. The better ones are not going to be on the main street, Rafael Melgar. Walk a street or two off the main drag, and you will find dozens of excellent restaurants. Trip Advisor has great listings with photos of menus. Our favorites are LaChoza and CasaDenis (beware the salsa, it is flaming hot). You can even get good food from some of the street vendors on back streets. Anyplace selling street tacos is good.

You can't go wrong with ANY restaurants downtown. They are all authentic. The better ones are not going to be on the main street, Rafael Melgar. Walk a street or two off the main drag, and you will find dozens of excellent restaurants. Trip Advisor has great listings with photos of menus. Our favorites are LaChoza and CasaDenis (beware the salsa, it is flaming hot). You can even get good food from some of the street vendors on back streets. Anyplace selling street tacos is good.

I believe that I read that La Choza and Casa Denis are owned by the same family, but you are right that most of the really good restaurants are a few blocks off of the Malecon. Some of the very best food that I have had was from a street vendor in Playa del Carman and in tiny booth in the indoor Mercado in Progreso.

I have found that the best is were the locals eat.

Thank you!

I believe that I read that La Choza and Casa Denis are owned by the same family, but you are right that most of the really good restaurants are a few blocks off of the Malecon. Some of the very best food that I have had was from a street vendor in Playa del Carman and in tiny booth in the indoor Mercado in Progreso.

I have found that the best is were the locals eat.

Thank you!

For places where locals eat, and English may not be spoken but probably understood for ordering, downtown there are a number of places called Loncherias or Comida Economicas. that serve primarily lunch at a set price, called comida corrida (lunch on the run) with food varying day to day. Las Flamitas on Avenida 25 and Calle 3 Sur or Tonitas on Roasada Salas between Avenidas10 and 15 are two.

La Choza used to serve comida corrida, but you had to order it in spansih and they'd rattle off a bunch of choices, then steer you to the tourista menu.

ABQR's rec on taco trucks and tacquerias around downtown is good too (look for Los Otates on Avenida 15 near Tonitas). Find one with a line of locals.