Kumamoto

Ellaleah

We will have a day in Kumamoto. I am looking for a tour company and suggestions for places of interest. How far is Kumamoto Castle from the cruise port? Has anyone had experience with the transportation? Is it doable on your own? I will be grateful for any information.

I have been to Kumamoto Castle on a land tour, it's not close to any ports like Kagoshima, Nagasaki or Fukuoka City. Also, it was heavily damaged by an earthquake so it might not be worth traveling all the way there, see the following

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/13/national/kumamoto-castle-repairs-expected-take-decades/#.WnX5f6inGUk

Sorry, I didn't read your questions correctly, I see that your ship will dock in Kumumoto . you can probably take a taxi to the castle, but with the construction, you might not see much.

I'm really interested in any ideas people can offer for our day in Kumamoto. I now understand that the castle is pretty far from the port and in need of repairs. Anyone have any experience with other sights in Kumamoto?

Actually, although cruise lines often call the port "Kumamoto", it is actually Yatsushiro which is located in Kumamoto prefecture. I can confirm for you if you give me the date and ship. I know it's hard to plan when it is unclear where you are docking!

Thank you very much for the clarification. Any ideas as to what we might do in that area now that I realize that we are pretty far from Kumamoto?

Yes, I can give you some tips. I just need to refresh my memory from my last visit there, I'll get back to you later this week.

• 3 months later...

For me this was our best day. We arranged a tour with Schingo of Tourism Gokanosho, https://gokanosho.com/. Skype: hashizaki.schingo.rocks

WhatsApp: +81 90 1976 1812

LINE: Hashizaki Schingo Schingo is a licensed private tour guide. He has a van that holds 7 passengers in addition to him. He drove us through the countryside, a magnificently beautiful drive, to Kumamoto Castle. From there we went to cave and then for a sushi lunch. Schingo is extremely knowledgeable about the area and Japan and offers a variety of tours. He filled us with information and answered questions from the minute we started until the end. He showed us a wonderful day.