Can anyone compare Prinsendam and Seabourn ships?

oaktreerb

Our next cruise is booked on Prinsendam. We have no illusion that it would in any way be comparable to Seabourn. Prinsendam is a smallish ship with only 835 passengers. However, Seabourn is a luxury line with food and service and amenities far superior to Prinsendam. Of course, it is much more expensive than Prinsendam. I think it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I haven't sailed on Seabourn yet but I have done some digging. I am unsure if I would like the "fussing" on Seabourn.

It's whole different kettle of fish IMO to compare the two.

Now, that being said, my past experience has been that the Prinsendam is a "step up" or upped a notch from the other HAL sailings. I know some will disagree with me (I can literally name the posters right now that will quickly tell me that hasn't been their experience), but that has been my experience and others to date.

I'll find out if that is still the case in May.

I honestly don't think you can compare the two.

Meanwhile, I am happy to be back on the P'dam again.

Up until 18 months ago I called Prinsendam my "Hands Down" favorite non-Crystal ship. Then I sailed Seabourn Odyssey and retired the "hands down" but personally give a slight edge to Prinsendam. There were many things I liked about Seabourn but a fair number that I didn't find great, especially for a solo.

Things I liked:

1.Larger rooms, although I find the rooms on Prinsendam more than adequate.

2. Very attentive service

3. Smaller ship size.

4. Several large lounges

5. All inclusive

Things where I prefer Prinsendam:

1. While there were several nice restaurants none of them opened until 7. That's too late for me.

2. No option for fixed dining. Sharing a table was not a great experience. While there are many invitations for hosted tables most are for 8PM and those meals last at least 2 hours. The one time I tried an impromptu shared table I sat for half an hour and then was reseated to a 2-top.

3. Entertainment choices are more limited and later. Most shows were probably about 10PM. The only time I felt like going to a show was when we gained an hour on our Transatlantic and they were very late getting the word out on when those days were.

4. I enjoy my morning 5-mile walk on P'dam's Promenade Deck on sea days. On Seabourn it was an exercise in frustration. The Wind Star, half the size, was actually better.

5. One thing I wish they had copied from HAL was "stateroom direct". My room was not read until I think 3PM and there was no option to check carryons with the staff.

Your mileage may vary.

Roy

kazu and rafinmd......Thanks for your insights. As a Carnival shareholder and 4-star HAL who recently completed a Seabourn Odyssey cruise I have been trying to compare the value. Both are owned by Carnival and they share the Seattle offices, I think. The Odyssey had a much higher level of staff entertainers but one of the shows by a magician was the same entertainer and same show as we saw on a HAL ship. I read about what HAL is doing with the Crows Nest and wonder if HAL is using the Seabourn Square concept.

Once I factor in a somewhat larger veranda stateroom, prepaid gratuities, free laundry facilities, and free drinks Seabourn doesn’t seem all that expensive. I thought it might compare to the Prinsendam in the HAL fleet.

I have a comfort level with HAL ships but also felt at home on Seabourn. The passengers were from many countries and at the end of the cruise Seabourn provided a list of guests and their home country or state. Very interesting.

kazu......I didn’t see much fussing. People were very friendly, just like on most HAL ships. Staff seemed stressed.

rafinmd....I did find your review of your Seabourn cruise so I was aware of some of the issues you described.

The dining room was not my favorite but we did meet some very nice people in shared dining the first night. Service was very slow even with only two at the tables. The dining room was also noisy and conversation at a table for even 6 was difficult. I, too, missed the Promenade deck!

Thanks to the two of you for taking us along on your journeys.