Silhouette Inside vs Veranda

hagainps

Hello.

My wife and I are looking at a 9 Day S. Caribbean Silhouette cruise early 2019. We've only done inside rooms due to the mild motion sickness my wife gets. She doesn't get nauseous, just dizzy at times and happens in cars, boats, etc. We did a Pacific short trip to Ensenada on another line that starts with C and had an lower oceanview room. While watching a movie in one of the lounges during a sea day, the dizziness really kicked in and the poor thing had to sit/lay in the room for the entire day. We've only done inside rooms as low and midships on the other 2 cruises so we could to alleviate this issue. I don't know if it's the motion of the ship, or because we were in a dark room watching the movie when it hit.

The Silhouette really doesn't have low midship inside rooms. Most are forward with a few aft. The ship we were on last week (our first with Celebrity) was the Summit and we had a Deck 2 Midship Inside room that was a 4 day Bahama trip that we loved. I know the Silhouette is a larger ship and hopefully won't rock much unless a major storm is in the area.

I'm liking the Veranda rooms as there are many in the midship levels. I know to stay on the Starboard side due to smoking if I'm looking at Deck 6. The cost is quite a bit more (about $1000.00 total for both) and I'm trying to justify it to myself and the wife that it would be better. She says that since it's 9 days, we may need to spend some away time from each other and so one of us could go sit outside. :) We both have challenging jobs; she's a High School Principal and I'm a Special Ed H.S. Teacher (different schools) so we really need to relax when on vacation and I don't want the room choice to end up making her miserable.

I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some advice. I know each cruise is different, so just let me know what your experiences are.

Thanks

Rick

First, I would like to suggest that your wife take Bonine. We take one each night, beginning the night before the cruise. It is a little chewable pill that is easy to take and it doesn't interfere with drinking.

Nine times out of ten, we do an inside and we often stay on the ship for 3 weeks. No problem. We don't feel deprived and we are very comfortable.

I think the Silhouette does have insides on deck 3.

We always take deck 8 midship.

As for alone time....there are so many venues around the ship, both inside and outside where it is quiet.

Don't forget...just the moment one of you decides to have down time on the balcony, it may be too sunny, too hot, too windy, too cold.

A balcony is not the end all-be all!

Enjoy!

I would do two things. 1, go ahead and book a 2C room on deck 6. You should get the 2D price e for a 2C room with your Captains club upgrade. 2, speak to the Dr about recommendations to help prevent motion sickness. My daughter gets it badly, but is able to cruise.

The cost difference is $1000, but the balcony room should come with at least one "perk". If you don't drink alcohol, you can sill use the beverage package for specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc. Or, you may choose the other options, internet, OBC, or gratuities. Just do the math and see what makes the most sense.

First' date=' I would like to suggest that your wife take Bonine. We take one each night, beginning the night before the cruise. It is a little chewable pill that is easy to take and it doesn't interfere with drinking.

Nine times out of ten, we do an inside and we often stay on the ship for 3 weeks. No problem. We don't feel deprived and we are very comfortable.

I think the Silhouette does have insides on deck 3.

We always take deck 8 midship.

As for alone time....there are so many venues around the ship, both inside and outside where it is quiet.

Don't forget...just the moment one of you decides to have down time on the balcony, it may be too sunny, too hot, too windy, too cold.

A balcony is not the end all-be all!

Enjoy![/quote']

Thanks. She does take Bonine for a few days before and then while on the ships. I get what you are saying about the down times and issues that can come up. I'll investigate a bit more and come up with a final decision.

Thank you so much for your input.

I felt compelled to add - for most people (I cannot speak for your wife, just scientifically speaking) being in a balcony cabin is actually much better for people prone to seasickness. Seasickness is caused by a disassociation between what your eyes are seeing and what your inner ears are experiencing (I am not sure I am explaining it exactly right). Anyway....in a balcony cabin you can step outside which helps in two ways. First, it is always helpful to regain your inner balance by looking at the horizon. Second, getting fresh air is also often very helpful. For me, the last room I want to be in if there is motion is an inside cabin.

I felt compelled to add - for most people (I cannot speak for your wife, just scientifically speaking) being in a balcony cabin is actually much better for people prone to seasickness. Seasickness is caused by a disassociation between what your eyes are seeing and what your inner ears are experiencing (I am not sure I am explaining it exactly right). Anyway....in a balcony cabin you can step outside which helps in two ways. First, it is always helpful to regain your inner balance by looking at the horizon. Second, getting fresh air is also often very helpful. For me, the last room I want to be in if there is motion is an inside cabin.
This makes the most sense to her, so we'll most likely go with the veranda. Now I just need to wait for our Captains Points to be posted as we're still in Preview. Ugh.

One other positive with a Veranda is if you are feeling a bit quizzzy, you can step outside and get a good shot of fresh air. That can help also. If she’s not getting truly seasick, but more dizzy,, I think that could be a positive for her......said by a guy whose medical experience consists of going to Drs!

The one big plus of verandas is yes, stepping out and just enjoying the outside easily, you can also enjoy a nice breakfast outside and for us guys, while your wife is getting ready and we are all set - instead of standing there trying to ‘help’ her get ready which all wives really appreciate, we can step outside and just enjoy the view and feel of the sea.

Anyway, if you get bored, you can step out and watch the flying fish and time them on how long they can zip from one crest to another!

Den

We always do balcony’s! But we ventured out and did the carnival vista and switched from a veranda to an inside Havana! Their private area! This is the first cruise that my husband had vertigo!! He went for a message and everything went back to normal! I believe that balcony’s are amazing!!!

Thank you all so much for your responses. We decided on a veranda and put down the deposit. We are going on the 9 day Jan 2nd trip from Ft. Lauderdale. With the promo, we get the Classic Beverage package for both of us and internet for both. The difference isn't as bad as I thought it was.

We always do balcony’s! But we ventured out and did the carnival vista and switched from a veranda to an inside Havana! Their private area! This is the first cruise that my husband had vertigo!! He went for a message and everything went back to normal! I believe that balcony’s are amazing!!!

Yes, I was going to mention vertigo - it's similar, but not exactly the same as motion sickness.

Has your wife had her inner ear checked? She also might have (forgive the spelling) Meneuires disease.

This is very good advice. The reason you can get dizzy reading in a car is often because of the "disassociation between what you are seeing and what your inner ears are experiencing". That is why is is useful to look at the horizon when experiencing this in a car.

Now that I read your description again and how laying down seems to help her I think she may be dealing with vertigo which is something I have experience with. My past, limited experience, with nausea is not so much dizziness as a queasy sick stomach. The vast majority of vertigo cases are caused by "floaters' in the inner ear that disrupt the signals to the brain in which case the brain gets confused because the balance info from the ears doesn't match what the eyes see.

A dr. can help. There are also some simple exercises done sitting on the edge of a bed that generally solve this problem for me when it hits once or twice a year. As a result I've never needed to work with a Dr. at this point. The "exercises" are body movements that help relocate the 'floaters' out of the inner ear canal which means no more confusing signals to the brain.