10 nights in Aqua - do we need to try Speciality restaurants?

AidenL

I think it all depends on how much you like Blu. We love it. If it were our first time sailing in Blu, we would likely eat there every night. They will have a different menu each night, along with several standards (chicken, salmon, steak). We sail in AQ most of the time these days, so on a 10 night cruise we would probably eat at a specialty restaurant once or maybe twice.

You can ask to see the next night's menu and if you are not fond of the choices, ask your waiter to help you arrange the next night at a specialty restaurant. They can often arrange discounts for you which might be better than those you could negotiate yourselves. We have gotten discounts from 30% on up (usually closer to 30%), but that all depends on how booked the restaurants are.

That sounds sensible, especially if they can arrange a discount, that would be great.

I think it all depends on how much you like Blu. We love it. If it were our first time sailing in Blu, we would likely eat there every night. They will have a different menu each night, along with several standards (chicken, salmon, steak). We sail in AQ most of the time these days, so on a 10 night cruise we would probably eat at a specialty restaurant once or maybe twice.

You can ask to see the next night's menu and if you are not fond of the choices, ask your waiter to help you arrange the next night at a specialty restaurant. They can often arrange discounts for you which might be better than those you could negotiate yourselves. We have gotten discounts from 30% on up (usually closer to 30%), but that all depends on how booked the restaurants are.

We liked it last time too, but it was 7 nights, just thought perhaps the menu might repeat over 10.

We love Blu as well. It’s the sole reason we try for AQ class on our cruises and I don’t see any reason to spend more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We recently spent 3 weeks in Aqua class and dined at Blu each evening. Never bored - really liked the entire experience. The only negative is that we are now spoiled and may not want to return to a regular balcony!!

We loved it for every breakfast and dinner for 12 days. Our waiter would have a plate of fresh steamed vegetables for us at every dinner. His recommendations were spot on for every dish. We are lean protein and lots of veggie eaters and the chef did wonderful healthy and flavorful preparations. At breakfast our waiter would get us a big bowl of fresh mixed berries as soon as we sat down along with a lovely expresso. In short we could have anything we wanted (as you can see we weren’t wanting anything extreme) as long as the kitchen had the ingredients.

We enjoy BLU but some nights the menu is not that great for us...we check it each morning...if not great we decide on the buffet or early MDR Select dining...usually available. And some nights we just need a break...

We usually do 2 nights out pre reserved at Specialty dining,,,just to break the pattern...but BLU is our main spot, esp breakfast,

Personal preference.....you could do all BLU...but a bit of variety is nice too.

Do you need to try different restaurants? no but you might want to try one of the specialty restaurants if it looks interesting to you. I'd suggest that you don't book anything else in advance.....and then see what kind of offers you get on the ship.

A couple of weeks ago, I was offered $25pp to dine at QSine (vs $45). Just ask the folks who are selling specialty restaurants around the ship "what's the best deal you can give me"...or ask the maitre d in Blu what the best deal he can get for you is. If the price doesn't work for you....you'll have a great food with good food, service and atmosphere in Blu. Another way to get discounts is to joke with the person selling or maitre d' that if he can give you a BOGO, you'll give it a try.

They have 15 days of menus, so no repeats on your cruise. If you do B2B cruises, yes, they will repeat...even on a 7 day cruise where they usually start with the first menu again on the second cruise.

We were on Reflection recently and Blu didn't work for us. We received an offer for 50% off specialty dining the first night. We went to Murano. On day two we ate at Blu. After that we purchased a dinner package, 4 nights. The rest between main dining room and buffet. We also paid a la carte at Sushi on 5 one night. We enjoyed our choices.

We hate missing a single evening in Blu. We only dine in specialty restaurants if they have a special deal or are offering lunch.

On a side note we were seated next to a first time cruiser on our recent trip who was invited by some new friends to dine in the MDR with them. She came back horrified at the difference and swore never to cruise in anything but Aqua class again. One gets easily spoilt by the Blu experience.

Over two hundred days sailing on Celebrity in AQ. Never been to a Specialty restuarant while in AQ

Went to our first one last year because it was between a B2B that we booked in a 1A veranda because it was $100/day extra for AQ and couldn’t justify the cost. We were offered 50% off for the first night on the second leg so we decided to try it. Nice experience but don’t see the need when in Blu.

Just my opinion and that doesn’t mean anything as I don’t understand why passengers will eat ( load up) on hot dogs, hamburgers, French Fries, Pizza and etc when on a cruise. Everyone has different likes and tastes.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅😏

On the Summit, perhaps because kitchens were either the same or close, we were always able to order off the MDR menu even while eating in Blu. Our wait staff was so accommodating. And, like others have pointed out, once they and the wine steward knew our preferences, we were greeted each morning and evening with favorite beverages and appetizers. We had a party of six, so we always checked the night before as to when would be the best time for us to arrive and secure our same table and staff. This may or may not have been necessary, but on our cruise there was a large group of 35 staying in Aqua who seemed to think they had special entitlements as to seating arrangements and timing, even to the point of being very rude to the maitre d and others when they had to be split up. Anyhow, knowing we were trying to be good customers by asking when would be the best time for us to arrive, especially in light of this rude group, perhaps we might have received more attention.

We always sail AQ and will eat in a specialty restaurant once out of every three or four cruises. With the possible exception of Qsine, which is cute for a few visits but we're over it now, I don't see anything all that special about the specialty restaurants. I'd rather wait until I'm home and eat at a locally owned steak house, Italian or Chinese restaurant where they care about our return business.

I like the fact that in Blu, the entire staff gets to know us and will greet us whether or not we're in their section that night. There have been a few entrees that were less than stellar but, overall, we've been very happy with Blu.

I would always choose a ‘Regular’ cabin and buy the Specialty Dining Package for every night of the cruise. Not only will it be cheaper it will definitely be superior.

1. The package does not cover breakfast and dinner.

2. On M-class there are only 2 specialty restaurants - Qsine and Tuscan. Once on a cruise - maybe. Every night - no thank you.

We really enjoy BLU and book AQ just because of BLU. We did one cruise not in AQ and missed it from day one on. MDR felt loud and hectic to us.

To the OP: decide on the cruise. If you feel like going to one of the specialty restaurants you can still decide then. There are always specials.

We've done Aqua twice on 10+ day cruises, and never felt a need to leave Blu. We'e tried Murano and Tuscan, and didn't find it significantly better than Blu, plus the waiters and Sommelier didn't automatically know our drink choices....