there's an app?? for that?

marshhawk

The last time we cruised, before we got on the ship, an employee at the port, told DH to download his cruise app, she said it was best if he did it before he boarded...... which he didn't do, and then tried for 4 days on board to do it, but then it wasn't free.

now we have three days before we board-so how does he download an app for his cruise? ( I hate computers and phones). I work on them 8 hours a day at work, when I get off I do unplug.

The last time we cruised, before we got on the ship, an employee at the port, told DH to download his cruise app, she said it was best if he did it before he boarded...... which he didn't do, and then tried for 4 days on board to do it, but then it wasn't free.

now we have three days before we board-so how does he download an app for his cruise? ( I hate computers and phones). I work on them 8 hours a day at work, when I get off I do unplug.

You just go to the App Store on your phone and search for Carnival Hub and download it. It's super easy.

thanks-should you actually say you are on before you get on?

This will be my first time using it on May 12th. I was just going to log on while waiting to board. I am sure someone here is more knowledgeable and will respond.

We loved the hub app. It was fantastic for the Fun Times. You pick your favorites and it will remind you. You can book excursions from the App too. Can't remember if it allowed you to check your balance. If you don't have WIFI package, turn on Carnival ship WIFI and then put your phone on airplane mode. Updates itself and keeps ship time. Great for ports.

We loved the hub app. It was fantastic for the Fun Times. You pick your favorites and it will remind you. You can book excursions from the App too. Can't remember if it allowed you to check your balance. If you don't have WIFI package, turn on Carnival ship WIFI and then put your phone on airplane mode. Updates itself and keeps ship time. Great for ports.

This feature is the best, as some ships don't have your account on the TV screen in your room anymore. I always like to check my balance several times during the week. Unless you go to GS or use the kiosk's, this makes it so easy to check your account.

I work on phones- I answer them you know the kind that is attached to a computer. I don't "worK' on phones and computers. I have to use them in my job, and I don't have a smart phone. because after 8 hours of "I want, I want I want," I don't WANT to hear from anyone. For those of you who work in customer service, you understand.

So, this app is attached to the wifi of Carnival. Is there a charge for it? We were told it was free, but it was only free when or if we downloaded the app before getting on board. And that is why my DH had problems downloading it once we were on board.

Thanks to all that have provided good information, and for the snarkies, you don't know me, and don't know what it is like to walk in my shoes these days..

You wait until you're on-board and connected to the ship wifi, then do that and all the Hub features will be available (except the chat feature, for which you have to pay $5/device for the duration of the cruise). Enjoy! :)

So, this app is attached to the wifi of Carnival. Is there a charge for it? We were told it was free, but it was only free when or if we downloaded the app before getting on board. And that is why my DH had problems downloading it once we were on board.

I provided you a direct link to the app download page which answers your questions. Don't know what else I can do for you.

I work on phones- I answer them you know the kind that is attached to a computer. I don't "worK' on phones and computers. I have to use them in my job, and I don't have a smart phone. because after 8 hours of "I want, I want I want," I don't WANT to hear from anyone. For those of you who work in customer service, you understand.

Thanks to all that have provided good information, and for the snarkies, you don't know me, and don't know what it is like to walk in my shoes these days..

Hi Marshhawk, Also, you can download the app (and I recommend doing so) before you get on the ship but when you are actually logging in to the app you will need the folio number on your sail and sign card. I'm just mentioning this because like some others, while I work with computers and technology all day long, I admit I am not well versed with downloading and using apps on my smart phone and also admit that my smart phone is smarter than I in that respect. If you or your husband have any problems downloading the app before or immediately upon boarding, I'm sure there will be some kind fellow passengers or even cruise staff that will nicely help you out. It is nice to see dining menus, account (folio) balance information and Fun Times information using this app. Enjoy your cruise!

you do NOT need the ships wifi for the Hub, it's free unless you want to text other guests on board.

This is Marshhawks question which is confusing everyone : "So, this app is attached to the wifi of Carnival. Is there a charge for it? We were told it was free, but it was only free when or if we downloaded the app before getting on board."

no it's not attached to wifi and it is free before or on board

The "before getting on board" part essentially means, download the app onto your phone before you lose cell signal (or decent wi-fi). You can do this before you leave home, or even actually 'on board' on the Lido deck before sail-away (depending on your cell coverage).

The Hub app is free to download before you board the ship. If you wait until after the ship sails, you'd need to pay for an internet package to download it. So, save yourself the money and download it now. The app will just act as a countdown clock until your sail date.

Once you board, use your S&S account info to log in to the app and begin using its features. Remember to put your phone into airplane mode upon boarding up avoid international/ roaming charges. While on board, the Hub app will run off the ship's wifi (no internet plan needed). Everything in the Hub app is free to use, except for the chat feature ($5/device).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thank you Florida, Sam Eagle and Georgiacruzer, this explained so much to me and DH. We couldn't understand why it wouldn't download for free on our last cruise, but we didn't have all the info. So what you have told me helps a lot.

DH is getting better, but sometimes, his cancer and meds play havoc with him, and he is still dealing with the damage from his fall. So thank you for explaining to me how to do this, so I could tell him. Knowing what is on the menu will help make up his mind about whether or not he wants to try to eat dinner in the MDR or just munch from the buffet.

We've used the hub app for several cruises, including the $5 per device chat feature. I didn't feel we got our messages in a timely manner, but I have read that the app has to stay open to receive them. It's not like messaging on your phone where you get the notification even if the app is closed. It's not a huge deal, as we are usually with our travel companions, but comes in handy if you are not together & trying to find each other.

I love the hub app for the free features - checking my onboard account balance, fun times (although our meet & greet was not on the app fun times, only the paper one), open times, etc.

And remember, even though you download & set up the countdown ahead of time, you can't actually log in until you get on board & connect to the ship's wifi while in airplane mode.

When you download the app from your app store (before you are in international waters) you can enter your sailing date and have a countdown clock to your cruise. It also allows you to add a picture if you want - I'm guessing that will show if you use the chat option. There is a "share" button - mine gives the option of e-mail or SMS - not sure what that does but guessing sends a screen shot of the countdown clock? At the bottom of the screen it says "I'm on Board, Log In" -you will be prompted to connect to Wi-Fi, turn Airplane mode ON, and Connect to Carnival Wi-Fi. You won't mess anything up by attempting to log in before you get on, but it will not allow you to connect and you will get a message that you aren't connected to Carnival Wi-Fi.

Once you are on board and connected, I think it asks for your folio number (on your ship card) and then you can access more features.

There is no charge from the app store for the app itself, but as explained you would have needed a data package to access the app store if you waited until on board/in international waters. There is also a $5 per cruise/per folio charge if you want to use the chat feature to communicate with others on board. It will only allow one device to be used per folio number at a time (ex: if using a phone and switching to tablet, it will kick you off the phone). Data packages are yet another fee and are used for communicating with people and apps (like FB or e-mail) off the ship.

Clear as mud?;)

you do NOT need the ships wifi for the Hub, it's free unless you want to text other guests on board.

This is Marshhawks question which is confusing everyone : "So, this app is attached to the wifi of Carnival. Is there a charge for it? We were told it was free, but it was only free when or if we downloaded the app before getting on board."

Question:If the Hub app doesn't attach to the ships wifi, how does any of the ship specific information get to the Hub App?

Question:If the Hub app doesn't attach to the ships wifi, how does any of the ship specific information get to the Hub App?

Well, without a wifi connection to the ship's intranet (internal network), none of that info can get to the app. The app is effectively 'disconnected.'

Well, without a wifi connection to the ship's intranet (internal network), none of that info can get to the app. The app is effectively 'disconnected.'

But the post I quoted emphatically said there is no need for a wifi connection?

I provided you a direct link to the app download page which answers your questions. Don't know what else I can do for you.
When trying to help someone who isn't as tech savvy as others about the ways of modern tech, it isn't always as straightforward as throwing a link at them and turning them loose. But don't worry, plenty of others had patience enough to explain it in a way the OP could easily understand.

Umm, yes it is connected to the ship's wifi. How else would it work? And it specifically needs the ship's wifi to enable all of its features. It just doesn't require the purchase of one of the paid internet plans.

When trying to help someone who isn't as tech savvy as others about the ways of modern tech, it isn't always as straightforward as throwing a link at them and turning them loose. But don't worry, plenty of others had patience enough to explain it in a way the OP could easily understand.

Umm, yes it is connected to the ship's wifi. How else would it work? And it specifically needs the ship's wifi to enable all of its features. It just doesn't require the purchase of one of the paid internet plans.

Wow, weird response. You chastise me, yet are condescending in your response to another poster as well??

I guess maybe its too much for me to expect that the OP actually click on the link and do some searching for themselves, instead of waiting here for our "expert" replies.

And I'm not sure you provided anything new that hasn't already been explained previously.

Exactly, paid wifi or the free ship's Hub App.

But the post I quoted emphatically said there is no need for a wifi connection?

There is a difference between the wifi package that you purchase to get access to the internet (and apps that depend on an internet connection) and the ship's internal wifi network (intranet) which is what the Hub app uses. That internal network is free.